Car knocking and stalling

Tristan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tristan
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum pfl
Eventually fixed the ticking on my lifters only to get a new problem, you beauty!! Starting the car cold it’s fine, runs like a nose in winter. Unfortunately once it gets warmer it starts ticking, after a few minutes it starts knocking like your mother in-law at the front door and stops, if I restart it straight away it will start but it’ll knock and stop again. Leave it to cool and it’s the same thing all over again. Have replaced the lifters and checked them all, sensors seem to be working fine, engine flushed with new oil
Anyone got any ideas? I’ve done heaps of research and can’t find anything

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Unusual. So once warm, it makes a knock noise and stops by itself?

Tristan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tristan
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum pfl
Thanks for replying
Yes once it warms up it starts knocking really bad, if I leave it, it dies. But I normally turn it off before it dies in fear it’s damaging something

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
I remember someone had kinda of that issue once they replaced or taken off the lifters (I’m guessing you did one of them to fix the lifter noise)

If you did, then maybe one or more than one rockers/lifter arms that sit on top of the lifters piped off and making a knock sound ? You’d have to opened the rocker covers to see obviously.

Tristan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tristan
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum pfl
I remember someone had kinda of that issue once they replaced or taken off the lifters (I’m guessing you did one of them to fix the lifter noise)

If you did, then maybe one or more than one rockers/lifter arms that sit on top of the lifters piped off and making a knock sound ? You’d have to opened the rocker covers to see obviously.

I did wonder that at first but then once I restart it there is no noise, if it had come off wouldn’t it be noisy all the time? Might still give it a look cheers

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
I did wonder that at first but then once I restart it there is no noise, if it had come off wouldn’t it be noisy all the time? Might still give it a look cheers

Yea to be honest it sounds weird but if you can be bothered check, I know if it was me I’d check it, depending on your rocker cover gaskets might need to change them but regardless worth a look incase

Tristan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tristan
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum pfl
Yea to be honest it sounds weird but if you can be bothered check, I know if it was me I’d check it, depending on your rocker cover gaskets might need to change them but regardless worth a look incase

yeah I might do that, new gaskets on it already so they should be right to reuse. Hoping Someone can tell we what it is before I have to do that, pulled it apart like 5 times now haha

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i do recall one of my rockers falling off after replacing my lifters. Only to find out about it 5k kms later :D Could it be possible something similar happened to yours?

Mine didn't make any other noises or if the rocker itself got wedged

my dad found it as he was replacing my timing belt.

Top Bottom