CATs Installed During Compliance?

How many CATs were installed in your exhaust during ADR compliance?

• Total voters

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Guys I've come across something a bit odd - apparently the evidence package that most RAWs are using for our cars requires all post-'99 cars to be fitted with THREE CATs for ADR compliance. So far we've been able to work out there are two WA members with three-cat setups, but I'd be interested to find out just how many of us had three CATs installed as part of compliance?

VR-4-PLAY

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dave
Drive
'02 Legnum Type V
I was told this was a new requirement added this year sometime. So vehicles complied before hand would not have had to comply regardless of year.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Yea i heard that the series 2 models ran richer on cold start which didn't pass emissions for ADR either for..
1) Post 2000 built cars (so because of design includes back to 98/99 models)
2) or for emissions for ADR's
not 100% sure but something along those lines can't remember exactly so there is the need to more cats on the later models.

Maybe cheffie can confirm??

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I've actually spoken to more than one RAW about it now - the deal is emission requirements in the ADRs changed in '99, so the requirement extends to all '99 model year and beyond vehicles - it has nothing to do with the actual model revision of the vehicles, its all about their date of manufacture.

It appears what happened was the RAW creating the original evidence package for VR4's that most other RAWs are using put three CATs in to get the test vehicle to achieve the required emission level. I don't know what the state of the vehicle was, but if it was running rich (most likely) this will have counted against it (and us). So now any RAW using that evidence package MUST use the same setup in order for the vehicles to be approved as compliant.

I think some vehicles have been sneaking through without having all three CATs installed - as Regi said in the WA sub-forum his car was the last to get through with just one CAT through that RAW.

I'd be interested to know if cars being done by RAWs using the alternative evidence package (for which Paul's car was the test vehicle) also have the same requirements...

Top Bottom