Changing alternator fun

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
My alternator died yesterday so I had to desperately search around for something suitable. The only thing I could get was an FTO one but it was 85amp.

Anyway, I got it (had no other choice) and proceeded to take out my stock one, which isn't *that* difficult, just tedious. So I pull my old alternator out and what do you know, it's 85amp too!

I thought we all had 100amp ones stock? And is there a way we can get the up-rated in Australia like what has been done in the US?

Cheers.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Paul.

Before getting an uprated alternator, I think you first need to work out whether your current one is letting you down.

This is done by determining your car's electrical load and draw. I would have thought that an 85 amp alternator is plenty for a car with a standard electrical load and sufficient for even a moderately powerful stereo system.

In other words, unless you're running a monster SPL car with multiple subs and amps (particularly the less efficient class A/B amps), I don't think the alternator is the weak point. You need to be running a very serious sound system before you need to upgrade the alternator. Are you running a big sound system?

If you are running a big stereo, more often than not, I find that the more appropriate solutions are to ensure that:

a) your power and ground cables are sufficient size i.e. 1/0 gauge;

b) your amps are appropriately earthed; and

c) you have a good deep cycle battery.

In short, don't waste money upgrading something that may not be the cause of the problem!

G

Unregistered
I thought the manual alternators were 85 amp and the autos were 100 amp.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Ah...that would make sense.

I just keep reading 100amp on this site, didn't realise it was for the Auto only.

Cheers.

Also, thanks Bruce. I thought it should be sufficient, I was just worried that we were supposed to have 100amp but mine was less for some strange reason. It should all be ok now :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hey Paul.. I was reading somewhere that the FTO alternators have 2 pin connectors opposed with ours.. we have 4 pin which is regulated by the ecu?!

correctly me if im mistaken...

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
They both look identical and they have the exact same part number on them. I'll double check again when I get home, but I can't see why there would be differences when they share the same part number. ASA/CAPS verified the same part number as being in both EC5A and DE3A (I think that was the FTO code)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
ok.. reason I posted that reply, I've been keeping an eye on a FTO 6A13TT build.. and was shown that the FTO had 2 pins.. possibly from the non mivec models?!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Oh right I see. I guess it probably is a non-mivec thing. This one definitely had 4 pins. I took photos of them side by side for comparison's sake.

Some pics...The filthy one is the stock one. Click pic for larger version:

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
New alternator is in and works perfectly. So I can confirm the 6A12 MIVEC alternator is exactly the same as the manual VR4 one :D

G

Unregistered
Potentially stupid question - will the above alternator fit/work in the Auto? I've got (apparantly) a hacked together non-genuine / incorrect alternator in mine, and it needs replacing. I'm getting diagnostic code 64, and on MEEK's recommendation, I'm scouring for a replacement.
So - do the Auto's NEED 100amp alternators, or will this 85amp option do?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
It is possible for both gearboxes to come with the MD336781 100A alternator. Strangely ASA lists the 85A as being standard on early manuals, 100A on late manuals, while Auto's are 100A on early ones and 120A on later ones, as well as cold spec.

Either way, it will bolt up and work ok.

G

Unregistered
Sweet. Thanks for that, Brad. Now to find one...(and not pay $1424.00+GST+shipping from Mistubishi :|)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I've got one sitting here. It is still on an engine but it was working just fine when the engine was removed from the car. No idea what version it is though.

Edit - Carsten, that had better not be the one on my spare engine!

G

Unregistered
what spare engine,
we agreed you could have the turbos and the rest was mine :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Was I drunk at the time? :p I actually can't remember! Anyways Adrian, rest assured you'll be able to get an alternator off either of us!

G

Unregistered
lol,

no, haha i said i was gonna take the motor, you said fine but you wanted the turbos,

then it moved to my mates place. and its been there till this weekend gone. finally got it back to my place.

who broke the flywheel bolt off in th crank??
dont remember doing that??!!

Top Bottom