Changing Steering wheel

turboalfa

Crunching Gears
First Name
Troy
Drive
Legnum
Hi,

Just wondering how hard and what is involved in changing the steering wheel on a Legnum. I want to put something on the that gets rid of the wood grain probably but still looks standard. May an EVO steering wheel or WRX.

Do I need a boss kit? and what about the airbag.

I have the factory Nardi on at the moment.

Thanks,

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi Troy,

ClubVR4 has an article on how to swap an Evo wheel onto a VR-4. You'll have to join up as a member to see it I think.

From what I recall it's a straight swap but there is a certain procedure to follow so that a) the airbag doesn't go off and b) to avoid the SRS light coming on when you start the engine back up.

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
I wouldn't swap an airbag steering wheel for a non airbag, that's something you could end up regretting.

But if you must and if the Legnum is the same as an Evo, then I'd imagine you'd be able to just buy an over the shelf Evo sized Momo steering wheel from an Autobarn or something.

Perhaps sourcing a facelift steering wheel without the tacky wood would be the go, or if you can find one a super vr4 sports job, though I personally don't like the red inlay.

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Guys,

Changing the wheel is easy. (Got my Nardi today to replace the tacky Aus one).
Most important things to remember are
DISCONNECT BATTERY, and do not reconnect until finished.
(Make sure you do this first, as the SRS indicator will appear if the battery is connected, and an airbag missing. There is no way of resetting this without going to Mitsubishi)
After removing all screws and nut, gently giggle the wheel to remove it from the spline. Take care of the clock spring. Try not to move this, as it will be aligned for lock to lock wheel motion, and it doesnt look like fun to try and reset (also, they are about $350AUD to replace)
Make sure the front wheels are straight before removing the wheel, so the new wheel can be aligned properly.

I belive that the spline is the same as the Evo, so an evo airbag wheel should fit.

I wouldn't go with a non airbag wheel unless you want to disable all the SRS system. (An SRS light on permanently is a roadworthy issue)

Don't be sitting in the car when you first turn the car on after changing. The airbag's are a class 1 explosive device, and if you damaged the clock spring while doing this there is a remote possability of setting it off.

Regards
Gavin

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
A good practice is to not fully remove the nut from the thread. That way if you are pulling the wheel and it flies off...you don't smash yourself in the face with a steering wheel and look like princess dianna

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Just a quick note on this thread to clarify the only the evo4/5/6 ones fit (info care of Gly).

cheers

Lee

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
A good practice is to not fully remove the nut from the thread. That way if you are pulling the wheel and it flies off...you don't smash yourself in the face with a steering wheel and look like princess dianna

Harsh but funny - LOL :D

Top Bottom