Hsigt2

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Garry
Drive
'00 Galant VR-4
'98 Integra VTi-R
Hey everyone!

I was born and raised in NZ and saw VR-4s regularly. Then I came over to Melbourne and noticed how rare they were over here. I've always wanted a Galant/Legnum because I fell in love with their stunning exteriors as a kid, and my fascination only expanded the older I got. As I grew up, my interests would shift between WRXs, Legacys, Evos and just about every other turbo car out there, but my love for VR4s never disappeared. They held a special place in my heart so I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger and bought in.

This is my new baby! A 2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Type V. It came with a few goodies attached, and is in pristine condition.

GutterRash Automotive is my YouTube channel so if you're interested in seeing some more Galant/Legnum content please subscribe! (I'm not a mechanic by any definition of the term so avoid the channel if you're expecting quality handywork lol).

Really excited to be part of the community and I'm happy to see that there are others still out there holding a torch for these old things haha. I'm keen to learn all about these cars, and hopefully enjoy a few meetups with local members.

Thanks for reading/watching!

Alex96L

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Alex
Drive
2001 Mitsubishi Legnum, 2007 Mitsubishi 380
Hey man welcome to the forum! Good to see another VR4 owner from Melbourne. I've owned one since August and still haven't seen another one drive by :( Should meet up yeah ;)

Hsigt2

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Garry
Drive
'00 Galant VR-4
'98 Integra VTi-R
Hey man welcome to the forum! Good to see another VR4 owner from Melbourne. I've owned one since August and still haven't seen another one drive by :( Should meet up yeah ;)

Thank you! Absolutely man, keen to link up and see what everyone's got

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
That makes a fair few of us down here now.

Most important thing is never leave it street parked overnight and get an alarm and a decent immobilizer ASAP. They are red hot cars down here.

Maybe we can push Steve a bit, assuming you want a tune I think that makes 5 of us now!

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Welcome to the forum, Garry :)

Unclepaulie's infamous welcome template, version 17.3a

Stuff you need to know:
- Forum rules

Stuff that could save your life:
Do not buy aftermarket suspension parts, especially Lower Control Arms (LCAs)

- This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms
- Recall check using your chassis number

Useful threads:
- INDEX - Look here FIRST
- Guide to Galant & Legnum common problems
- The most important thread on the forum. MUST READ
- Oils and Fluids
- Staged Upgrades
- Legnum/Galant Production Info
- Posting photos, especially in the Classifieds

Posting new threads is restricted by default, for full access become a Premium Member:
- Upgrade to Premium Membership benefits

Please read before selling anything on this site:
- Rules for posting in the classifieds

Hsigt2

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Garry
Drive
'00 Galant VR-4
'98 Integra VTi-R
That makes a fair few of us down here now.

Most important thing is never leave it street parked overnight and get an alarm and a decent immobilizer ASAP. They are red hot cars down here.

Maybe we can push Steve a bit, assuming you want a tune I think that makes 5 of us now!

Yep first thing I did before buying the car was securing garage space, and thankfully it comes with a decent alarm/immobilizer (although it's got a back up alarm battery that I have no idea how to disarm when disconnecting the main battery...). As for the tune I'd be keen once I've enjoyed the car a bit and installed a boost guage. It's currently had a few things done to it by the previous owner(s) (3-port, intercooler, exhaust etc) and feels a lot faster than stock so I'm fairly certain it's already been tuned - gotta figure out what else has been done.

Tony_T

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tony
Drive
Legnum VR-4 1997
The backup siren will most likely have a key switch on it and hopefully you will have been given the key by the previous owner (don't count on it!).

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Yep first thing I did before buying the car was securing garage space, and thankfully it comes with a decent alarm/immobilizer (although it's got a back up alarm battery that I have no idea how to disarm when disconnecting the main battery...). As for the tune I'd be keen once I've enjoyed the car a bit and installed a boost guage. It's currently had a few things done to it by the previous owner(s) (3-port, intercooler, exhaust etc) and feels a lot faster than stock so I'm fairly certain it's already been tuned - gotta figure out what else has been done.

If it has a 3 port it most certainly has been tuned. How much boost is it making?

Still should see Steve, we need numbers to get him down :p

Also I highly recommend the DEFI replica ZD units, you can get everything up on them for the price of 2 gauges and they keep the wiring and dash nice and tidy. Don't even bother with boost gauges that have vac going straight to the gauge.

Hsigt2

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Garry
Drive
'00 Galant VR-4
'98 Integra VTi-R
The backup siren will most likely have a key switch on it and hopefully you will have been given the key by the previous owner (don't count on it!).
Unfortunately it didn't come with the backup key - any ideas on what I should do?

Hsigt2

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Garry
Drive
'00 Galant VR-4
'98 Integra VTi-R
If it has a 3 port it most certainly has been tuned. How much boost is it making?

Still should see Steve, we need numbers to get him down :p

Also I highly recommend the DEFI replica ZD units, you can get everything up on them for the price of 2 gauges and they keep the wiring and dash nice and tidy. Don't even bother with boost gauges that have vac going straight to the gauge.
Aren't those OBD2?

Tony_T

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tony
Drive
Legnum VR-4 1997
I thought you wouldn't have got the key, I had the same problem with our first campervan.
Can you get to the siren speaker easily? They are usually held together by just a few screws (which may have small rubber plugs covering them) so you can remove the back cover and cut the wire from the key switch, maybe you can then lift it out and fit a small ordinary switch in place of the key switch. Sure a crook could find it and turn it off, but that would take time during which it is screaming and hopefully someone would hear it before the crook found it.

Hsigt2

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Garry
Drive
'00 Galant VR-4
'98 Integra VTi-R
I thought you wouldn't have got the key, I had the same problem with our first campervan.
Can you get to the siren speaker easily? They are usually held together by just a few screws (which may have small rubber plugs covering them) so you can remove the back cover and cut the wire from the key switch, maybe you can then lift it out and fit a small ordinary switch in place of the key switch. Sure a crook could find it and turn it off, but that would take time during which it is screaming and hopefully someone would hear it before the crook found it.

So I got the alarm out - it didn't have a keyhole in the back - rather a plastic knob that you turn with a flathead. This knob seems to control the amount of time it takes before the alarm triggers when the battery has been disconnected. I found a wire that forks off completely and I'm guessing goes to the backup battery but I can't trace it properly so I'll probably just cut it and see what happens. If that works I'll throw a switch in somewhere and hide it. Cheers for the response.

Also I realised these cars have small post terminals even though the manufacturer recommends 520 CCA?! The highest Century battery with SP terminals is 430 CCA which is still 100 CCA more than what's currently in the car...Have you guys re-terminalled your cars or just running SP batteries?

No, you can get ones that use rep defi sensors but I am adamant they are the same. They even work in genuine defi gauges...

Those would be nice, especially from a financial standpoint but I really like the needle guages haha

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Which manufacturer? Mitsubishi, I'd like to see where you found that :p

Check Yahoo for defi gauges and be wary of ones without sensors, the sensors are expensive, even fake ones to some extent.

I picked up my last set of boost, oil t, oil p and water t for $700 landed with sensors and a car specific pod.

Hsigt2

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Garry
Drive
'00 Galant VR-4
'98 Integra VTi-R
Which manufacturer? Mitsubishi, I'd like to see where you found that :p

Check Yahoo for defi gauges and be wary of ones without sensors, the sensors are expensive, even fake ones to some extent.

I picked up my last set of boost, oil t, oil p and water t for $700 landed with sensors and a car specific pod.
https://www.ozvr4.com/threads/recommended-batteries.2995/page-2
Going off SiliconAngel's post

Ah nice - have you got AFR too?? I'm eyeing one of the mechanical Autometer gauges

Top Bottom