Chrus aka Chris // Perth - WA

G

Unregistered
Gidday,

My name is Chris, based in Perth after moving from NZ 3 yrs ago. I used to own a Legnum ST-R back home (had that for 1 yr) before shifting here for work.

I currently own a 02 STi with mild mods and a bunky liberty (which is dying a slow painful death). So to replace the liberty, ive been hunting down a VR4.......for a while (joined up ages ago when the other forum was being used (account deleted?) & never found a car)
.....but
Finally test drove one yesterday - forgot how good a car they really are. It was a 98, white auto with leather, 99000 kms (bit worn) but seemed to be okay. I'm waiting on a manual to get through compliance this week so i can compare the two.

I like your forum, its clean and no nonsense...big contrast to other online communities ive been part of :)

Fingers crossed this car im looking at has no dramas.

Cheers

Chris

G

Unregistered
Hey Chris ... I remember u from the other forum (simons mate right?)
Come down to the meet on the 30th and say g'day ...
We pride this forun to be useful and most importantly freindly :)

G

Unregistered
Welcome to the new forum!

Yeah its good they're finally hitting our shores, just had a quick look through autotrader and it says their are 4 in perth. Would be good to take one for a test drive like you have. Let us know how ya go with the manual.

Hope to see ya round.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Welcome back :D Good to see you're almost there with your car hunt. It can take us a while to find the right one.

Fingers crossed it's smooth sailing from here mate!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
G'day Chris, welcome back! Hopefully we'll see you around here a bit more frequently now ;) Good luck with the manual drive and let us know how it goes!

G

Unregistered
G'day Chris, welcome back! Hopefully we'll see you around here a bit more frequently now ;) Good luck with the manual drive and let us know how it goes!
Update: after waiting for the car to pass compliance etc, i managed a short test drive today of a manual, '98, white, VR4 that has done 99000kms.

Its entirely stock though has been annoyingly de-badged, and the black window surrounds have been painted-grrr :banghead:.

It has the biggest sun roof Ive ever seen and while not being a leather interior, its in tidy condition (like any other car of the that age).

Very quick, shifter and the box feels tight for its age. The clutch is butter soft compared to the STi.....

....so i put a refundable deposit on it, and its off to be checked by the garage I use this Tuesday. Fingers crossed it comes back with a bill of good health.

Heres a couple of phone pics:

Image020.jpg

Image019.jpg

Image016.jpg

Image021.jpg

Assuming i take delivery of this machine, the only mods I got lined up include some wheels (though after i pick up some Brembos - stock brakes are woefully underpowered IMO), lowering/coilys, tune, stezza...the basic stuff :)

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Looks ok Chris, shame about the paint job on the window surrounds. Some people just have no idea when it comes improving the looks of a vehicle. Hope it comes back with a clean bill of health mate.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Paint vs Mechanical Health... I know which I'd lean towards.

Welcome aboard mate... or should I say, welcome back? :D

G

Unregistered
compression test passed!

Update: Took the car for LONG test drive today up too my mechanic (ASG) for inspection (60kms round trip). It passed with flying colours! The only things I picked up on while driving it were:

1) The AYC unit has minor grumble in it when giving stick around corners - apparently system needs a bleeding said mechanic dude :redface:

2) And the gear selector sometimes got stuck on down shifts...maybe change fluid, though more likely that im not used to driving a Mitsi box and they feel totally different to a 6 Spd STi box...(no surprises there).

So I take delivery on Saturday morning, having cat back zorst put on (will get headers/dump pipe done eventually) so i can hear the damn thing. Fingers crossed a few more toys bolted on ready for dyno tune in ~2weeks at ASG in Malaga. Currently trying to source wheels, springs/struts...though unsure about the latter in terms of supply.

Happy days - will attend the next WA meet and say hello ;)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Funily enough, even without reading any of this thread I knew you were from NZ... love the forum name choice! LOL

Congrats on the car purchase ;)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Haha Lee ;)

Sounds great Chris! Yep little bit of AYC noise is usually due to air in the system - a bleed should take care of that, although with a newly acquired second hand car I'd replace ALL the fluids :)

Look forward to checking it out sometime!

Top Bottom