Cittris' Legnum just got some new speakers.

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
well finally finished installing my new speakers and shit.

thanks to my mates for helping! so much easier when you have some extra hands.

Sound really good compared to standard! however i am getting really bad altenator whine :(

so i got to sort that out. but all in all very very happy with it!

EDIT: i ended up mounting the amp ddirectly under the passenger seat, fits perfectly and should be plenty of air flow.

I had to make up some MDF spacers for the speakers and the covers for the tweeters doesn't fit anymore. it almost looks factory though so i will either paint the metal brackets etc black or get some customer pods made up.

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
haha no not all

althoguh im at work now :(

So good to finally have it done. Took me a good day and a half to get it all done.

Feeding all the wires through factory looms etc and making several mistakes along hte way :)

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
I forgot to mention also! Whist ripping up all my carpet, i found a rather large dead bug!!

Unfortunately i didn't get any photos because i showed mum and then she started bashing it with a stick and ruined it.

However it looked like it had been there for ages! Very brittle etc. It had the circumferance of a tennis ball. At first i thought it was a spider as it had a massive abdomen.

True JDM Brah :p

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
on a side note. I am getting really bad altenator whine. I ran the RCAs through the middle of the car and the power and ground down the passenger door. Im going to pull it all apart again and shorten all teh cable as there is A LOT of slack.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Can't you get a filter for the alternator whine? If you're ripping it all up again you might as well see if putting a filter in helps.

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
Yeah as you said i might as well put a filter in while in at. Thanks Derek

I pull it all apart again none the less and see how i go.

G

Unregistered
The alternator whine could be caused by poorly shielded RCA cables which, if you say you have excess of, could be a likely culprit. Although, I would guess it would be the ground for the amp, I had a similar problem when installing mine and was fixed by relocating the ground to a different location.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
The alternator whine could be caused by poorly shielded RCA cables which, if you say you have excess of, could be a likely culprit. Although, I would guess it would be the ground for the amp, I had a similar problem when installing mine and was fixed by relocating the ground to a different location.

This. Make sure your RCA's and power are not in close proximity to each other (Ie, run them down different sides of the car) and reground your earth on the amp. I earthed mine to the bolt on the seat after I had ground the paint back for a better connection.

G

Unregistered
This. Make sure your RCA's and power are not in close proximity to each other (Ie, run them down different sides of the car) and reground your earth on the amp. I earthed mine to the bolt on the seat after I had ground the paint back for a better connection.

I had the power down the LHS, the RCAs down the RHS and a very similar earth and got the whine, moved the earth to a bolt underneath the passenger scuff guard where the paint had already been removed and the whine has now gone.

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
Well I hope its not poorly shielded RCAs

However it could definelty bethe ground. i was lazy and used a ground that was already being used by something else - two things infact.

I will try this first and report back thanks guys

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
well i just changed the ground to the one of the bolts on teh passenger chair. still getting altenator whine :(

im going to tidy up the wires next as they are all over the place

[S]uperMa[N]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dean
Drive
Legnum VR-4 XD
Yeah you can get a engine noise filter, I think they cost 20-30 dollars. And you just wire it inline to the power from memory, correct me if I'm wrong.

PeteGT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
'99 Legnum - S Manual
Did you end up sorting the alternator whine tristian?
I've just spent the weekend fitting the amp/speakers/headunit into the car, getting some pretty nasty alternator whine. Amp is under the passenger seat, with power/ground up the left through the guard. RCA's out to the middle through the console.

I know for sure it's not the RCA's at fault, had them running direct from the head unit to amp in free air. Only 1.5m long.
Could possibly be the amp or head unit ground, measured with a multimeter at ~2 ohm between -ve battery terminal and amp ground terminal, same for the headunit.

I've got no idea, so if anyone could help it'd be awesome. Meantime I'll play with grounds to see if i can clean anything up.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Pete,

Where are the amp and headhunit grounds going to? Ideally they should be the same place. :) Though in saying that with our cars the H/U automatically grounds through the chassis.. :)

Make sure all your grounds are sanded back to metal, and hopefully you arent using the seatbolt mount as an amp ground. :) Also are the grounds the same size if not bigger than the power wire?

Another thing to check... Is the whine through one speaker? if so the speaker wire could be too close to the power wire, though I have never had that problem in either of my VR4's...

J

PeteGT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
'99 Legnum - S Manual
Amp is grounded to the body, just near where the passenger side door grommet comes through. Wire-wheeled back to metal. HU is grounded to some of the rails behind the dash, negligible resistance between the 2 ground points.
Whine is through all 4 speakers. There is some interference noise at the 'acc' key setting, slightly louder/different freq with the key at 'on', then the usual whine with the car running.

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
nah mate i didn't get it sorted. it is started to annoy me to.

Mine is set up exactly like yours witht eh RCAs through the middle.

My Ground is on the bolt on teh passenger seat underneath the carpet however that is the 2nd grounding point i have tried.

Pete let me know how you go and if you are there on wednesday id like to havea listen but its sounds like you are having exactly the same problem as me

Riley

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Riley
Drive
96 Legnum vr4
i personally wouldnt use the seat bolt as an earth, as its something that may be removed in the future - i would make a new hole somewhere and grind that back to bare metal as most of you are suggesting (obviously avoiding any wiring)

also a noise filter is a band aid solution in your system

have you looked at the gains on your amp? if they are set too high they will almost definitely cause a wine through the speakers

Top Bottom