Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Hi All,

I've created a Windows app to read DTCs and clear DTCs for SRS. This negates the need for a MUT to clear errors.
At the moment, it only works with an Openport 2.0 but looking to get FTDI/VAGCOM cables working.

Also, it can clear DTCs but I haven't deciphered the DTCs from the data the SRS computer sends... so that is a work in progress.

Is there anyone who'd be willing to give it a shot?

Cheers,
Bill

Leggie

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Cody
Drive
1996 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S
2016 Porsche Cayman GT4
I only have FTDI, but would be super interested in testing that when you have some version of that ready (even if it's in a broken state to help debug). If nobody takes up the task I'd be happy to buy a Tactrix or something to help further testing.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Will get ftdi working soon.

I suspect the problem is with the five baud init. Same code works with ecu, but seems the srs is a bit more fussy with timings.

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4

I suspect the problem is with the five baud init. Same code works with ecu, but seems the srs is a bit more fussy with timings.
I am also willing to do testing using my openport 2 cable.

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4

BTW, is the SRS follows standard ISO 9141-2 protocol? If so, then the 5 baud init is 0x33, not 0x08 you mentioned about the ECU address in other post.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Still 0x8 for srs

The iso9141-2 handshake is standard in terms of sending address as 5 baud
Then receive timing sync for baudrate, then two keywords.

Tony_T

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tony
Drive
Legnum VR-4 1997
@BCX I don't know if you've seen the Toyota mini VCI units available cheaply on AliExpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003187436103.html
and many other sellers,
they're an FTDI chipset and I've read they can be made to work with MUT software. I think they would be cheaper than an Openport device, for example. I did have to scratch around the internet to find a 64 bit driver that worked as the disc that is supplied has only a 32 bit driver on it.
I bought one and with 'MMcodingwriter 2.3' to read, 'MUT Coding Mitsubishi' to edit and back to 'MMcodingwriter 2.3' to write I can read our 2009 Outlander and presumably change things if I wanted. Obviously there will be a lot of differences with the older VR-4's but the hardware may be of interest to you as another option if it can be made to work.

professor_jonny

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jonathan
Drive
Mitisuibishi 1998 RVR X3 auto rallysport
I have a srs computer with a fault code in it.

I was told by mutisibishi who had a mut they could not reset fault so it would be intresting if your tool works.
I'm guessing that I have a rvr and not a vr4 should not matter?

I was planning to desolder the main micro and readout the rom as they are a generic processor with an alternative mask specific ot the manufacturer of the unit, I worked out what chipset it was from the wiring of it on the pcb and it was my lase resort.

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
I have a srs computer with a fault code in it.

I was told by mutisibishi who had a mut they could not reset fault so it would be intresting if your tool works.
I'm guessing that I have a rvr and not a vr4 should not matter?

I was planning to desolder the main micro and readout the rom as they are a generic processor with an alternative mask specific ot the manufacturer of the unit, I worked out what chipset it was from the wiring of it on the pcb and it was my lase resort.
My SRS also has the fault code, and my mechanic also cannot reset the code by his Launch X431, and seems the same symptom as you I searched around from internet and couldn't find anything. So, I am not sure it is HW issue or software issue.

Sometimes ago, when the SRS issue happens, I found like this: Key On and start engine as normal, and the SRS light will ON for few seconds, then the SRS light turns OFF for few seconds, and then turns ON again for about 10+ minutes. After few months later, after I start the engine as normal, the SRS light turns ON and it won't OFF for few seconds, therefore, the light keeps ON until I stop engine and OFF everything.

Any, I found some information from the web that some people found the problem of the capacitors leakage inside the SRS module, so they replaced some new capacitors and finally worked normally. So, maybe after you open the SRS module, you can check the capacitors too.

professor_jonny

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jonathan
Drive
My SRS also has the fault code, and my mechanic also cannot reset the code by his Launch X431, and seems the same symptom as you I searched around from internet and couldn't find anything. So, I am not sure it is HW issue or software issue.

Any, I found some information from the web that some people found the problem of the capacitors leakage inside the SRS module, so they replaced some new capacitors and finally worked normally. So, maybe after you open the SRS module, you can check the capacitors too.

The caps are not swolen and leaking I have opened it up and it does look good, I probed the clock line and voltages and seems good I dont think the thing is broken.

My unit stays in fault mode from startup the diag light stays lit I was told it has a trip indicating a crash so I was told that they could not reset it and it required replacment, but he did not sound very sure of himself.
I did not like their price tag to repair (worth more thaan the car)

The dealer had to get head office to send the mut-II device to them to diag the fault as what ever they normally used would not communicate with the car.

I have a loan one fitted from a mates car to get my car legal as his car is off the road I just pluged it in and all is sweet.

I was thinking to remove the srs altogether as once a car in NZ is older than 17 years you can cert it for removal of the air bag system if you replace the belts with a ratchet type, remove all the explosive stuff and fill the cavitys with expanding foam.
You can also cert it for removal if you get a race exemption but that is not so simple.

professor_jonny

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jonathan
Drive
@BCX I don't know if you've seen the Toyota mini VCI units available cheaply on AliExpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003187436103.html
and many other sellers,
they're an FTDI chipset and I've read they can be made to work with MUT software. I think they would be cheaper than an Openport device, for example. I did have to scratch around the internet to find a 64 bit driver that worked as the disc that is supplied has only a 32 bit driver on it.
I bought one and with 'MMcodingwriter 2.3' to read, 'MUT Coding Mitsubishi' to edit and back to 'MMcodingwriter 2.3' to write I can read our 2009 Outlander and presumably change things if I wanted. Obviously there will be a lot of differences with the older VR-4's but the hardware may be of interest to you as another option if it can be made to work.

The problem with these cables you cant flash the cars ecu as they dont have the charge pump to get the programming voltage

The vag-com cable works also that is designed for the VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda cars, reading on the evo forums it suggests you can flash the sh4 ecu's cars with them.

abrunstr

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Anders
Drive
Galant VR-4 MT
I have an Openport 2 and a SRS light on, due to some electrical issue (voltage sometimes too low, but have not have time to investigate yet)
I can test it it clears

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
If the srs has been tripped due to crash, i dont think it can be cleared even with mut.

Will have something for people to test next week when im back.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
My unit stays in fault mode from startup the diag light stays lit I was told it has a trip indicating a crash
So if you earth pin 1 of obd, the what error code does the srs blink out?

35?

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4

35?

I think SRS doesn't care what OBD pin 1 state is. From the circuit diagram, SRS doesn't connect to pin 1 of OBD nor the ECU, it's like an independent module. And it's connected to OBD pin12 for the communication

SRS 1.jpg
SRS 2.jpg

Last edited:

professor_jonny

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jonathan
Drive

35?

I did not know that was even a thing, I can try it and see what happens?

I was told it cant be reset if it was tripped, however I found info the reprogram the micro controller which will fix it but requires an external programmer.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
I think SRS doesn't care what OBD pin 1 state is. From the circuit diagram, SRS doesn't connect to pin 1 of OBD nor the ECU, it's like an independent module. And it's connected to OBD pin12 for the communication

It's connected to pin 7 to talk to the mut.

Jury is out on pin 1, but mut wont talk unless its on. Soon as you flick the switch of the mut, pin1 is earthed. Haven't tried to 5baud init without pin1 earthed.

Wiring diagrams dont show this all

Last edited:

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
I did not know that was even a thing, I can try it and see what happens?

Im assuming it will, cant confirm as no where near my vr4.

All other systems that communicate via mut that have a warning light in the cluster do...

Leggie

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Cody
Drive
1996 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S
2016 Porsche Cayman GT4
Im assuming it will, cant confirm as no where near my vr4.

All other systems that communicate via mut that have a warning light in the cluster do...
It doesn't blink in mine, it only stays illuminated constantly. The other lights blink as they should though, if that's of any help.

Top Bottom