Clicking sound in dash????

G

Unregistered
When I turn on my ignition I am getting a loud clicking sound inside the dash of my VR4 legnum. This clicking sound last for approx 30-60 seconds and then it stops. Does anyone know what this would be?

TTVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
99 Galant, black, Sunroof, manual, Recaros
its a time bomb

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Pilot light for a gas heater!

Could be a bit a crap caught up near the under dash air con fan. Turn the fan all the way up and see if that dislodges it.

G

Unregistered
Doesnt seem to be related to the aircon. It does it when fan and aircon is turned off. It has only just started happening and have had the legnum for about a year.

TTVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
it took me twelve months to find the phantom noise in my car, it turned out to be a golf ball inside the chasie rail the run under the front seats

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I have the same noise. I'll have to get around to trying the fix that has been suggested (removing the steering wheel and realigning the horn ring) and seeing if that works.

It isn't an uncommon problem, there's been at least one other member on here experiencing it.

TTVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
if it ticks for 30 seconds or so, it is prob a relay or something.
could be engine check, cold start or anything

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
In mine it only happens when the ambient temperature is above 17 degrees, and only started happening after I took my steering wheel off to realign it (stupid compliance morons...).

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
What about turbo timmer. Mine makes a clicking sound that last a similar amount of time but only when starting or turning off the car.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Fixed my ticking noise

Ok guys and gals. it appears to be the servo that controls the hot to cold lever on the Climate control.

Its a black box located just above the ECU, its screwed to the White plastic part with three screws (which are really hard to get to), I needed to remove the Govebox and the 2din stereo to get to the screws.

I pulled it apart to find that one of the gears had a missing tooth. All I did was to rotate that gear so the missing tooth is in a new location, it now is fine.

Oh a warning, when opening the box you will find that the three plastic gears will jump out at you.

Sorry I forgot to get pictures. :(

I will take some photos when I next take off the passenger side console kick panel.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Since I posted my response back in June mine has started to do the same thing. My solution is to select the position that doesn't click.
Now that you've told me how to fix it I'll have a closer look and see if there are any teeth missing, if so I'll do as you've done.

jimslick

Crunching Gears
First Name
jim
Drive
99 vr4
Hey has anyone taken the little black box out of the car? I pulled mine out, now I have three little gears in my lap and I don't know where they go back....

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
1996 Trigger Mauve Galant VR4
I did. I think I took a pic. I'll post it up if I can find it and you still need it

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
Hey Alvin post it up please. I have it too. Not too fussed by it anymore but I might get around to it. Mine started when my stereo go installed.

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
1996 Trigger Mauve Galant VR4
There you go. If some of the teeth are missing, just rotate it to where all the teeth are in range and it will stop the clicking. will be a good idea to re grease it too. And becareful while pulling the box apart, i broke 2 of the clips.
vent cont.JPG

ps: how do i mage the image smaller from the forum itself?

Top Bottom