Clutch not working 97 PFL

Dylby1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dylan
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my legnum

I've found when starting it that the car pulls on the gearbox a bit. This got worse to the point of not being able to get it in or out of gear while the car was running.

My research so far said the slave was stuffed (which it did turn out to be) so we replaced that, and replaced the clutch line to remove the damper at the same time and bled the system.

However this has not fixed the problem. I have my clutch pedal adjusted all the way out now, which helped initially but overnight got worse and am now having the same issue again.

What else could cause this to happen?

VR45UM

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR4
Do you mean like the clutch is dragging on the flywheel when the clutch is pressed down? Because if not it might be an internal gearbox issue. I didn't have it on a Galant but my missus Honda crx was driving forward in neutral and it ended up being one of the selector sections (hub/synchro) was binding. Needed a gearbox rebuild.

Dylby1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dylan
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Do you mean like the clutch is dragging on the flywheel when the clutch is pressed down? Because if not it might be an internal gearbox issue. I didn't have it on a Galant but my missus Honda crx was driving forward in neutral and it ended up being one of the selector sections (hub/synchro) was binding. Needed a gearbox rebuild.

It only does it in gear. Tries to go whatever direction the gearbox is selected for.
Like the clutch isn't disengaging fully when it's in gear. Neutral works fine.

VR45UM

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR4
Was the clutch replaced recently?
Other option being air in the clutch line maybe. Air does compress so if there's air in the system I may not fully disengage the clutch.
If it's a leak in the system (ie slave or master internal leak) it will disengage then progressively start to engage as the fluid bypasses the seals while still being depressed.

Dylby1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dylan
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Was the clutch replaced recently?
Other option being air in the clutch line maybe. Air does compress so if there's air in the system I may not fully disengage the clutch.
If it's a leak in the system (ie slave or master internal leak) it will disengage then progressively start to engage as the fluid bypasses the seals while still being depressed.

New clutch before i bought it (allegedly) but had no issues to begin with.

Turn out I just hadn't bled it properly, I didn't realise how fiddly it is to bleed these.

Top Bottom