COIL ON PLUG setup for the VR4

SVD115

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Jason
Drive
It's a really long list... but added a Legnum to that list...
You're a good egg Bill!
I ended up not using any plates or hold downs.
The rear coils drop in flush with a solid grab so absolutely perfect.
The fronts sit up about 45mm and the more I thought about it the less appealing a plate was.
I had concerns about heat running up a 32mm tube and getting trapped under the coil.
Cut a long story short the Bosch R8 coils grip like crazy on the plug, been running them since Sunday without a glitch, front connections and cable sit below the coil heads and quite chunky.
I doubt they'll move, they barely turn.
Car runs great, smooth idle and less throttle needed than before.
]

Thats a really neat and tidy looking setup, whats the clearances like for the cover to go back over the top?

and any chance i could get a copy of the wiring diagram etc?:)

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Have designed some brackets to mount the big boi IGN1A coils onto the rocker covers
Laser cut aluminum plates
Front plate bolts directly to the rocker cover
Rear plate is mounted on stainless steel cnc machined stand off studs in place of 3 of the rocker cover bolts.

As is probably obvious this does not fit with the stock intake. But anyone putting a real turbo on (see single turbo) is most likely going to mod the stock intake to suit and require a grunty spark this will be a good solution. Its definitely bulkier than the likes of R8/yaris/R35 pencil coils but also has better spark energy.

received_581140503147817.jpeg

20211114_163300.jpg

20211114_163410.jpg

20211114_163422.jpg

SVD115

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Jason
Drive
It's a really long list... but added a Legnum to that list...
Have designed some brackets to mount the big boi IGN1A coils onto the rocker covers
Laser cut aluminum plates
Front plate bolts directly to the rocker cover
Rear plate is mounted on stainless steel cnc machined stand off studs in place of 3 of the rocker cover bolts.

As is probably obvious this does not fit with the stock intake. But anyone putting a real turbo on (see single turbo) is most likely going to mod the stock intake to suit and require a grunty spark this will be a good solution. Its definitely bulkier than the likes of R8/yaris/R35 pencil coils but also has better spark energy.

Thats a very impressive spark setup!

abrunstr

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Anders
Drive
Galant VR-4 MT
Hi! Was using Colt 1,5T coils before (Diamond FK0330). But seems they are a bit short on the rear bank, does not contact spark plug properly. Long story short, changed to Vag Bosch coils, same as R8 but a bit shorter. With all connected I get no spark. Replace one with Fk0330 and car starts. Voltages are correct so must be trigger problem. The Bosch coils have 380 Ohm resistance between signal and ground, Fk0330 has about 950 Ohm. But seems here Vag coils have worked for others so I am a bit confused

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
The coil you need is listed below. There are many variations of this and not all are compatible.

Bosch 0221604800 Ignition Coil

abrunstr

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Anders
Drive
Galant VR-4 MT
The coil you need is listed below. There are many variations of this and not all are compatible.

Bosch 0221604800 Ignition Coil
There are the different variants listed. There are 3 different lenghts, short, medium,long. The short have different pinout. Shop said that all shold work rhe same? I have the mid length 0986221024 . Can you measure the signal-ground resistance for the 0221604800 coil?

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Listed below are the ignition coils that work on the 6A13TT twin turbo.
Bosch 008 works in both front and rear banks, sitting only 25mm proud in the front bank.
If you're still using your factory engine cover use 3 NGK U5002 as they sit flush to the valve cover. They can only be used here as the rear plugs sit deeper.
NGK U5015 will work on the front but due to a non removable grommet at the base they wont sit flush on the rear bank to connect properly.
All 3 have great performance and dwell angles are fine between 12 and 14.5 volts.
All 3 are prices around the AUD$ 50 mark so very affordable as an original Mitsubishi coil pack is around $250, 3 needed.
With most coil upgrades the ignition fail sensor will need bypassing due to the extra power draw on the factory wiring.
You can choose to short pins 3 and 4 using a 15 amp fuse and tap into the crank sensor green wire running it back to pin 3 on the IFS sensor plug. This ensures your tacho signal is getting back to the gauge.
Alternatively an IFS bypass or delete cable can be provided for those not wishing to splice into the existing factory wiring.

IMG_20230408_124243.jpg

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Are you saying NGK U5002 will work at both front and rear if you're not retaining the engine cover?
Also how much for the loom? Already running an IFS delete.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Are you saying NGK U5002 will work at both front and rear if you're not retaining the engine cover?
Also how much for the loom? Already running an IFS delete.
The 5002 work in the front if you have the original engine cover, they sit flush.
The rear bank is deeper so you use the Bosch 800. I don't use a cover so I run 6 Bosch 800.
The harness is $300 delivered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom