Coil On Plug using Bosch Audi R8 coils

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
For those interested, I've been running a variation to the Denso COP kits using Bosch 0221604800 coils. Used in Audi's, VW and Porches, these represent good value and are easily sourced. Prices for original coils, orange tops with black sleeved stem range from $38 to 50 each.
They use a 4 pin connector which includes a chassis ground wire(brown)
There are no fixing plates required as the grip on the plug is very strong and the only addition needed is an o ring that seals the stem and stops any slop left to right.
Below are images of a few completed assemblies and 1 of 4 as fitted recently in Germany.
All cables are rated at 20amp and are Tycab 3mm automotive copper.
Connections used are bootlace crimps and I have the correct dies for both mitsubishi male connectors and the Bosch female pins for the coils.
Looms are bound using auto grade electrical tape and then covered in braided expandable sleeving.
My set has been installed and running since last October without any issues.
I would recommend either an IFS bypass or upgrade to linking pins 3 & 4 with a 15 amp inline fuse.
Starting and idle are well improved with no issues at about 16psi boost. Fuel consumption is less but only perhaps sightly as I don't drive for economy. Best effort has been 10.5L/100km average is just on 12.
The front 3 coils sit approximately 25mm up off the rocker cover, the 3 rear being deeper sit flush. There is no interference with the inlet manifold.
Coils purchased were from Automotive Superstore as they actually have items in stock and their delivery times are good, total price was $300 free shipping, other stores now selling for $260 or less.
For anyone interested in purchasing a harnesses to suit, cost is $300 AUD no local freight charged.
PM anytime for details or discounts.
GalantCoilLoomInstalled (1).png

A2024956-EAB7-430A-BA6C-05ED8CC8E22E.jpeg
IMG_20220518_165405.jpg
IMG_20220526_100747.jpg

Last edited:

Marko

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Mark
Drive
Galant VR4
Interested in these. Any ideas if the engine cover still fits?

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Hi Marko
I would assume yes as they are still lower that the original coil packs. I will check though and get back to you ASAP

John

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Did a quick measure up and unfortunately I don't have a cover to be 100% accurate but it may interfere at the point where the cover needs to tuck under the front boost pipe.

Marko

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Mark
Drive
Galant VR4
Ok thanks mate. I’ll have a measure up tonight when I get home. Are you on the Gold Coast? Or have I got you mixed up with someone else?

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
We've worked out a variation for the R8 coil harness for those looking to keep their original engine cover.
NGK make a short version of the Bosch R8 coil that sits flush to the lower mid section of the front rocker cover.
I have been running the front 3 on the NGK coils and the rear with the R8 coils.
They seem as good if not better than the Bosch, a few small changes to the lower side of the harness is all that's required.

IMG_20220710_133350~2.jpg
IMG_20220710_133457~3.jpg

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Listed below are the ignition coils that work on the 6A13TT twin turbo.
Bosch 800 work in both front and rear banks, sitting only 25mm proud in the front bank.
If you're still using your factory engine cover use 3 NGK U5002 as they sit flush to the valve cover. They can only be used here as the rear plugs sit deeper.
NGK U5015 will work on the front but due to a non removable grommet at the base they wont sit flush on the rear bank to connect properly.
All 3 have great performance and dwell angles are fine between 12 and 14.5 volts.
All 3 are prices around the AUD$ 50 mark so very affordable as an original Mitsubishi coil pack is around $250, 3 needed.
With most coil upgrades the ignition fail sensor will need bypassing due to the extra power draw on the factory wiring.
You can choose to short pins 3 and 4 using a 15 amp fuse and tap into the crank sensor green wire running it back to pin 3 on the IFS sensor plug. This ensures your tacho signal is getting back to the gauge.
Alternatively an IFS bypass or delete cable can be provided for those not wishing to splice into the existing factory wiring.

IMG_20230408_124911.jpg
IMG_20230408_124243.jpg

Last edited:

NoMe

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Rio
Drive
1999 8G Galant
Thank for your valuable information about the CoP, i have interest with this, mind to check your inbox please? thank you

Xerope

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Carter
Drive
1997 Galant vr4
Really appreciate the guide on this thanks! Was wondering if you'd ship a harness to the states? (US)

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Hi there,

Yep no problem, I have sent these out there postage is about 23 USD or 35 AUD.
Do you have an IFS bypass cable?
The IFS tends to burn out when using higher output coils.

Kind regards
John

Xerope

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Carter
Drive
1997 Galant vr4
Hi there,

Yep no problem, I have sent these out there postage is about 23 USD or 35 AUD.
Do you have an IFS bypass cable?
The IFS tends to burn out when using higher output coils.

Kind regards
John
Awesome! And no I do not I was hoping to get one of those as well. Looking to get it in a few weeks, just bought all of the maintenance items so gonna do those first then I'll be ready.

crazydriver81

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Stefan
Drive
Legnum 25 ST-R
Absolute recommended mod for these engines. Running this setup since May22 without issues. Still happy I have installed this kit and a great guy doing business with đź‘Ť

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Thanks for that Crazydriver81.
For those that haven't tried, yes the harness can be unplugged and removed without removing the intake manifold. Once the rear boost pipe is off you can access the coil plugs and lift the coils slightly to remove. We've done this about 3 times while testing new versions of the harness for heat and fitment.

Last edited:

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
I've had requests for coil supports/shrouds by owners that insist on pressure washing their motors.
I have selected a nylon carbon fibre filament and have trialled in mine for just over a month.
There is no effect on the supports by the heat in the engine bay, no deformation at all.
They're designed to sit over the lip on the valve cover and provide a watertight fit up to the coil head.
Print time is high but they look great and will definitely not allow water in to the plug recess, see images below.
I have also managed to finalise the centre vent pivots and louvre links for those looking to get theirs functioning again.
Prices are $35 set of centre vent repair kit and $30 each for the coil supports.
IMG_20231014_075357.jpg
IMG_20231014_093501.jpg
IMG_20231014_074902.jpg

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
The machine is an Elegoo Neptune 4. Managed to get one on pre order mid August.

Top Bottom