Coilovers - who, what, where, and how much?

G

Unregistered
as far as i know they are legal, as long as u dont hav them set really low, i think height is the only restriction as the quality of the ride is irrelevant (i.e. requires kidney belt) to the authorities...

G

Unregistered
ride cant be too stiff, but its really up to the discretion of the person inspecting it.

my 33 past the pits with teins, and just about every suspension modification know to man, so it was kidney belt material.

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
about coilovers, are they illegal? If they are what makes them illegal?

I wouldn't mind a set but id rather keep the car legal so i actually have insurance. :)

As a frequent visitor of regency in my last car, i spoke about this a lot to the guys doing the inspections. They said:
  • Any suspension which is adjustable in ride height is illegal, therefore leaving you with non adjustable shockers. The main reason for this was that over time your height begins to lower, so they say. The only way past this is to lock your suspension at a specific height.
  • Any non-standard mods to the suspension is illegal unless it has been registered at Transport SA, and then they will have the right to pass the mod, through an inspection or simply just through it out the window.
I know this sucks, and the guys at Regency agree but the law is the law and they have to abide by it otherwise everyone can do anything. You can always ring Transport SA and talk to the guys at regency and not mention your name etc.., so they cant track u down and send u a letter tellin u ur car has to be inspected as it is assumed it is defectable (from word).
I also heard from an import yard that if your car is complied with non-standard modifications, such as coilovers they are legal, but wouldn't trust the word of an import yard, as more than often they are just after your money. No offence intended on those on here, cos we all know that you guys are great and trustworthy guys, but there is a select few who dont play by the rules and tell u what u want.
Hope this helped!!!

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
On another note, the Legnum i bought has coilovers, but haven't checked what they are. I know there fully adjustable, but don't have camber tops (yet). They are orange anyone have an idea what brand makes orange coilovers for the legnum or galant as i've never come across them before. Thanks for your help...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
orange might be Tanabe Sustec.

You can't get adjustable camber tops on Legnum suspension because of it's multi-link design

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
Thanks brad, I'll google that. That sucks about not having camber tops, but oh well, you can't get everything.
I just checked the tanabe's and doesn't like they're the ones, thanks anyway.

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
As a frequent visitor of regency in my last car, i spoke about this a lot to the guys doing the inspections. They said:
  • Any suspension which is adjustable in ride height is illegal, therefore leaving you with non adjustable shockers. The main reason for this was that over time your height begins to lower, so they say. The only way past this is to lock your suspension at a specific height.
  • Any non-standard mods to the suspension is illegal unless it has been registered at Transport SA, and then they will have the right to pass the mod, through an inspection or simply just through it out the window.
I know this sucks, and the guys at Regency agree but the law is the law and they have to abide by it otherwise everyone can do anything. You can always ring Transport SA and talk to the guys at regency and not mention your name etc.., so they cant track u down and send u a letter tellin u ur car has to be inspected as it is assumed it is defectable (from word).
I also heard from an import yard that if your car is complied with non-standard modifications, such as coilovers they are legal, but wouldn't trust the word of an import yard, as more than often they are just after your money. No offence intended on those on here, cos we all know that you guys are great and trustworthy guys, but there is a select few who dont play by the rules and tell u what u want.
Hope this helped!!!

Thanks a lot for that, exactally what i was trying to find out.

looks like ill be going shocks and springs with my car then, as much as i would like coilovers I like having valid insurance more :D

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
Trust me most insurance companies dont have a clue about coilovers, they will only try and rip you off if your too low, ur suspension doesn't work etc... I know that Just cars dont give a crap, as i had two claims on my last car, one i was way too low ( lowest part of car was approx 4cm off of the ground, lol), and then i had coilovers in it when it was stolen, just told them they were stiifened shockers and springs with adjustable arms etc... they had no idea what they were. but i can see where your coming from though, you dont wanna crash and have them say "You have to fix the car as it is defectable!!!".

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
There are plenty of upper adjustable arms available for Stagea's etc, so I am sure someone could either mod something like that to fit or look into getting them made. The idea seems to be to use the same A arm design, but add a plate on a slide, much like a camber top. I'll find a pic if you aren't sure what I mean.

G

Unregistered
ok.. the G4's arrived for the stagea on friday..
after fitting them, and tweaking the height, they are at a point where the guards are just above the tyres, so it doesnt look like a lift kit anymore, but the difference in handling is amazing, no more body roll!

well worth the $1399, handles great, nice firm but comfortable ride, and looks sweet!

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
ok.. the G4's arrived for the stagea on friday..
after fitting them, and tweaking the height, they are at a point where the guards are just above the tyres, so it doesnt look like a lift kit anymore, but the difference in handling is amazing, no more body roll!

well worth the $1399, handles great, nice firm but comfortable ride, and looks sweet!

noones posted in this thread for a while but i wanna know.how are the g4's in the leggy?id wanna get a set but i want my leggy to basically sit as low as possible,how low do they go?

G

Unregistered
i've got mine on the softest setting, and they are comfy, yet firm.

the coilovers can go about as low as the body kit will let you. :p
mines at 100mm clearance with plenty of thread left.

G

Unregistered
just thought ide throw out the face that cusco zero1 and zero2 are also available for the galant and v-wagon for the leggies

Top Bottom