Coilovers - who, what, where, and how much?

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
Jonson reset everything for me last and I remember they were tightened before giving them to him. I'll try and have a look at the weekend.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Yeah still sounds odd. The spring preload should be just a little further than captive. Either way, Jon knows what he's doing. It's weird no one else is getting that noise.

fassi1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Chris
Drive
Legnum VR4
Measure the thickness of the coils- you can use a spanner - and how many coils there are. Start counting from either end where the coil meets the flat end and count the number of coils to the opposite end. You will need to estimate how how much is left over ie 0.4 or 0.7 of a turn. An answer should be something like 8.7
also give me the outer diameter of the coil.
from this I should be able to tell what spring rate you currently have.
So here we have
Front: 13mm thick, 9 coils,
Rear: 11.1mm thick, 8 coils,

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Need the diameter of the coil as well.... say55mm or something

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Thanks Steve, yes I left that out.
The coils numbers won't be a whole number it will be like 9.3 ie 30% of a complete circle.

fassi1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Chris
Drive
Legnum VR4
Forgot about coil diameter, will measure that as well.
Truth, coils numbers are slightly over whole number, I reckon:
Front 9.2
Rear 8.2

fassi1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Chris
Drive
Legnum VR4
Again
Front: 13mm thick, 9.2 coils, spring outer diameter 92mm
Rear: 11.1mm thick, 8.2 coils, spring outer diameter 88.5mm

fassi1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Chris
Drive
Legnum VR4
Free lenght of springs is:
Front 250mm
Rear 226mm
If that helps to wirk out rates.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
I think the fronts come out as 6.2KG/mm, and rears 3.9-4.0.

fassi1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Chris
Drive
Legnum VR4
I think the fronts come out as 6.2KG/mm, and rears 3.9-4.0.
Thanks Martin , how did you work it out having all these measurements?

I guess I can double that for track? Let's say 12/8?

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
No Worries :)

Spring Rate = (modulus of spring steel * wire diameter[SUP]4[/SUP])/ (8 * number of active coils * mean coil diameter[SUP]3[/SUP])

(Modulus of spring steel= 78,500 newtons/millimeter[SUP]2[/SUP]

aiwasaki

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Azan
Drive
S2 Legnum VR4
Hi guys

Reviving this thread (hopefully this is the right spot for my query)!

I've had a set of ISC coilovers for a while and have finally had enough of the back breaking ride, so am about to buy 6kg springs for the rear and then will put the 8kgs in the front. In addition to this I am wanting to raise the height, currently my car sits 130mm from the ground to the bottom of the side skirt at the front and 150mm from the ground to the bottom of the side skirt at the back (see pics below).

Front

IMAG1191.jpg
IMAG1193.jpg

Back - it's hard to see, but the top of the back wheel pretty much sits below the height of the bottom of the flare.

IMAG1190.jpg
IMAG1188.jpg

So my question is, what are peoples thoughts on the front (side skirt) being lower to the ground that the back? When I went to Meek (yes I know what most people think about them) a few years ago, to get myAYC fixed, they said the side skirt should be level.

Also, what height are other people running? I am thinking of running 150mm at the front and 160mm at the back.

In the following pic, I used my trolley jack to raise the front of my car by 20mm to see what it would look like. What do people think?

IMAG1181.jpg

The other query I had (in fact I have asked this before in another thread, but keen to get more feedback) was what people's thoughts were on using preload to raise the ride height. The reason I ask is because my bottom bracket is adjusted to (according to a few garages I have spoken to) the maximum height. The said the way to tell was by looking through the inspection hold of the bracket and seeing the top of the threaded part of the damper.

If people don't think this is a good idea, then are there any other suggestions?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
azan azan azan.... i will educate you. just not right now but i will tonight.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
ok. sorry i didn't have time yesterday. I'm actually doing another thread which i will link to on how to setup coilovers.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Ooh orange wheels... have a very rare like from me :D Is that Black or Trigger?

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
i got a feeling someone set your ride height by using the spring preload collar, thats why it rides like shit

Top Bottom