Coilovers - who, what, where, and how much?

G

Unregistered
For everyones interested, RPW can supply K-Sport units which we have fitted to a lot of vehicles and have been extremely happy with. I am using a set on my own EVO 3 track car for a starting unit .

We sell them for $1990.00 and they come with adjustable pillow ball mount / camber tops so they provide excellent value for money.

These will suit the galants, not sure about the legnums. The would fit the front of a legnum, but not sure about the rear. I have a Legnum here so I may grab a set and check it out whilst we are doing the rest of the suspension unless our test owner would prefer some coil overs on the car instead.

G

Unregistered
Update found a new part number specifically for the Legnums. So we can supply K-sports to suit both applications - again highly recomend them have several customer cars running them. They are not super hard like a lot of japanese race stuff, and they are height adjustable seperatly to spring tension so you can have the best of everything

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Yeah seen those, they look pretty good, the big thing is that they have adjustable preload and ride height

jarthel

Idling at the Lights
First Name
jarthel
Drive
car
As a frequent visitor of regency in my last car, i spoke about this a lot to the guys doing the inspections. They said:
  • Any suspension which is adjustable in ride height is illegal, therefore leaving you with non adjustable shockers. The main reason for this was that over time your height begins to lower, so they say. The only way past this is to lock your suspension at a specific height.
  • Any non-standard mods to the suspension is illegal unless it has been registered at Transport SA, and then they will have the right to pass the mod, through an inspection or simply just through it out the window.
I know this sucks, and the guys at Regency agree but the law is the law and they have to abide by it otherwise everyone can do anything. You can always ring Transport SA and talk to the guys at regency and not mention your name etc.., so they cant track u down and send u a letter tellin u ur car has to be inspected as it is assumed it is defectable (from word).
I also heard from an import yard that if your car is complied with non-standard modifications, such as coilovers they are legal, but wouldn't trust the word of an import yard, as more than often they are just after your money. No offence intended on those on here, cos we all know that you guys are great and trustworthy guys, but there is a select few who dont play by the rules and tell u what u want.
Hope this helped!!!

if they are illegal in SA, how come you see them in the streets? why aren't their cars marked as defective?

G

Unregistered
Pretty much anything u modify on a vehicle is illegal unless u get permits ... which I doubt hardly anyone would bother. But unless ur doing something stupid the cops won't pull u over ...

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
if they are illegal in SA, how come you see them in the streets? why aren't their cars marked as defective?

As paul said any part which is not an OEM part is considered a modification, however they cant be to strict on this as some aftermarket parts are better than the standard ones.
Coilovers are seen everywhere because people dont care that they are illegal and would prefer the ride and adjustability of coilovers rather than suspension which is un-tunable. And once again as Paul said they will only pull you over if you are doing something stupid or it is god damn obvious your car is not legal. Remember the average traffic cop doesn't know how to recognise the signs of coilovers in the car, and most dont understand adjustable is illegal, but u can still be done by those who know and REGENCY.
Assuming you are talking about the "popo" there cars are made through special manufacturers who have a licence to manufacture the cars in the way they do. All mods have been approved by Regency, or so we are told. Also they do have exemptions on certain mods, since they are emergency services.

jarthel

Idling at the Lights
First Name
jarthel
Drive
car
As paul said any part which is not an OEM part is considered a modification, however they cant be to strict on this as some aftermarket parts are better than the standard ones.

What is required for a car to be inspected by Regency?
(regency is the transport office in regency park?)

thank you

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
Yes it is regency at regency parkWhen passing through regency you must have your car in a condition satisfactory to that stated under the Australian Design Rules for that class of vehicle. Therefore your car must be in standard condition or modified appropriately to meet the ADR standards using ADR approved parts or otherwise supported through engineering certificates and what not (This does not guarantee it will be legal either). Each state has the same ADR's but each state chooses to interpret these in different ways. According to the Department of Transport within SA the car must not have adjustable suspension, all cars must have locked suspension, meaning that they must be non adjustable. Hence why coilovers are considered illegal in SA.
If you have any queries about anything to with legalities, phone regency and ask them personally. They are more than willing to help, however waiting times are another thing.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Any further progress with the teins on Trademe Brad?

What do you recommend?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
he replied to my question about what type they are. What else do you want to know? shipping will be around $200

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
I was gonna ask about getting them sent, the logistics of it, however all my suspension plans are on hold until I see the king springs on my car on Tuesday, if they're ok then I'll stick with them.

G

Unregistered
just thought ide throw out the face that cusco zero1 and zero2 are also available for the galant and v-wagon for the leggies

Only just saw these on RHDJapan (unsure of how long they've been there for). They are only offering the Zero-1's, with Hyper Rubber and Pillow Ball mounts. Anyone had experience with these?

Image1.jpg

G

Unregistered
Slightly ot but i got coilovers put in and apparently the rear cant be lowered more than 20mm otherwise camber kicks in. Anyone else have simmilar experiences and know of a work around?

G

Unregistered
all IRS cars get negative camber as you lower them..

there is a guide by Gly in the how-to section about adding positive camber when lowering.

mine needs the camber at the rear to fit my rims under, they will hit the guards if i lower it anymore. :p

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
If you lower the car at all you will start to have quite a bit of rear camber. Either do the fix like Carsten, or just rotate the tyres side to side on the rear every 5km's

Top Bottom