Coilovers - who, what, where, and how much?

G

Unregistered
i'm after a set of coilovers for my legnum (i dont even have the car and i'm buying mods for it! uh oh..)

i'm in wa, so i dont expect anything over here, or even in australia... yet.

what brands, etc are there for legnums? i'd imagine the range would be small due to the rarity of the car.

what else is there, and what are they worth?

also, if they sold coilovers for stageas too, that would be a bonus, as i promised the girlfriend if i bought coilovers, i'd buy her a set too. :p (might even get a discount for 2 sets, or possibility of a group buy. ;))

G

Unregistered
ok.. i found tein ones on RHD japan
whats the different between...

TEIN Super-Wagon Damper Legnum VR-4 EC5W @ AUD $1196.63, and
TEIN GT-Wagon Damper Legnum VR-4 EC5W @ AUD $1498.31

G

Unregistered
If you drop through our shop we could organise to get some Tien units, modified to suit australian conditions. These are Japanese Tien units, revalved with new springs to make them more comfortable on the road and without that "Race Type" setup that makes them uncomfortable. Just drop through and have a chat if your interested.

G

Unregistered
taken from, www.clubvr4.com

MR.VOODOO said:
Wagon is no longer available, but Basic Wagon is.

Spring rate for Basic Wagon is front 5kgf/mm and rear 3kgf/mm.
rise height adjustment only. Front range for EC5W -20mm
to -60mm Rear range -10mm to -50mm.
part number GSR42-J1SS2.

SuperWagon spring rate is as above.
SuperWagon DSR42-91SS3 As above but damping force adjustment of compression
with rebound together ( 16 settings). Also special uppermounts allowing
EDFC.

GT Wagon spring rate is front 8kgf/mm and rear 5 kgf/mm
GT Wagon GSR42-E1SS3
As above but with full length height adjust system. Allowing height
adjustment independently of the spring pre-load.

Front range EC5W +10mm to -75mm Rear range +10mm to -55mm

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Try www.otomoto.com.au

The HSD coilovers are apparently pretty good for the cheaper end of the market. They do not have a listing for our cars, but send them an email and see what they say.

G

Unregistered
If you drop through our shop we could organise to get some Tien units, modified to suit australian conditions. These are Japanese Tien units, revalved with new springs to make them more comfortable on the road and without that "Race Type" setup that makes them uncomfortable. Just drop through and have a chat if your interested.

any idea on price?
i've enquired somewhere else for teins for the stagea, and they were up around $2000, which i'm not really willing to pay.
i previously had teins in my R33, they were a bit uncomfortable having 10kgf/mm springs on them, aswell as all the other aftermarket suspension mods i had (ALOT), but i dont think a set of standard teins with no other car stiffening mods would be uncomfortable.

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
if you havnt purchased your car yet wait until you do there have been allot of us including myself that have purchased cars alrady with Tein suspension so there is no need to buy it at additional cost afterwards.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Mine has the tien superwagon i think. The handling is awsome through the hills, around town it is manageable but you find yourself dodging manholes and bumps in the road where possible.

Before i got my car i asked isc coilovers if they had anything - which they didnt and wernt planning to :( I also asked some other company on nissansilvia.com about their coilovers and they also replyed negatively.

I think Justjap have their G4 brand coilovers for legnum but they seem a bit cheap and i havent heard too much about them.

G

Unregistered
if you havnt purchased your car yet wait until you do there have been allot of us including myself that have purchased cars alrady with Tein suspension so there is no need to buy it at additional cost afterwards.

i own a legnum, its just being complied. :)
teins seem to be the go, and the 4-12 week wait for surface shipping doesnt bother me as my car is ATLEAST 6 weeks away!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
fellas, are there any for the sedan models? seems like mostly everyone here's after a set for the leggie..

*I feel lonely*

G

Unregistered
indeed there is.. i'm actually swaying towards a set of G4's now, as i can get them for the leggie, and stagea. (they also do the galant as well)
and they are apparently in stock over east, for $1399 free shipping anywhere!

www.justjap.com have them. :)

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Don't leggies and Galants use the same gear ?

G

Unregistered
yes and no, same physical coilover, but the leggy will have a higher rate spring due to the heavier rear end.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
yep! Galant rear springs in a Legnum will leave you with an arse low car! Obviously with coilovers you can adjust that sort of thing though.

G

Unregistered
ok, i've got 2 set of the G4 coilovers coming my way shortly, one set for a stagea, and one set for a leggy.

so i'll let you know how they go when they arrive... (most likely get them BEFORE my car, so when my car arrives. :/)

G

Unregistered
fellas, are there any for the sedan models? seems like mostly everyone here's after a set for the leggie..

*I feel lonely*

if you look at rhd japan they do a set of teins for the ec5a galant. just look in the TEIN Super-Wagon coilovers and on the side there is a listing of compatible vehicles and the ec5a is there. i think they are about $1380 EMS.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
ok, i've got 2 set of the G4 coilovers coming my way shortly, one set for a stagea, and one set for a leggy.

so i'll let you know how they go when they arrive... (most likely get them BEFORE my car, so when my car arrives. :/)

Any news Mitchy ?

What are they like in the leggie.

G

Unregistered
1) the coilovers havent arrived yet.
2) my car hasn't arrived yet.

:(

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
lol...

I didn't know you hadn't got your car. I was thinking that once I got mine it unplugged the bottleneck of cars and they all came bursting out onto the roads. :p

I wanna get some coilovers to drop mine a little, I had it parked next to an outback the other day and it even rode closer to the tyres than my leggie. I am sure I could put some Duellers on it and run the Dakar....

I guess it rides nice though. Comfy.

I just don't want to buy coilovers and find I have to wear a kidney belt to feel comfy.... ;)

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
about coilovers, are they illegal? If they are what makes them illegal?

I wouldn't mind a set but id rather keep the car legal so i actually have insurance. :)

Top Bottom