Compliance question

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Hi all, just a quick question in relation to compliance, are the people who do this meant to put some type of strengthing bar in side the door to suit ADR? Reason I ask is I have noticed the LHF door of my car doesnt appear to have one fitted.

Gary

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
nah, that was a long time ago when side intrusion bars were needed, late model jap cars are/were the safest of there time

G

Unregistered
Have you been reading Autospeed? Because that's where I heard about them.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
No, I just thought they had to be installed to comply with ADR.

jonesyVR4

Crunching Gears
First Name
Mark
Drive
EP71 Starlet turbo
I also have a query about getting a car complied.
I notice that most places add about 2K for compliance.
Is this the correct $ or have people found that it has ended up being more than 1st quoted & if so for what reason?

ie removal of non standard parts etc?

Also if your car isnt standard, where do you get the standard parts for rego from? Are they just "borrowed" & returned once the car has rego?

Chers
Mark

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
The cost depends where you go. I imported through Iron chef and had the complied through Edward Lees cost $2500 no problem with after market parts as they just say it was stock and then it goes through. Most place have stock parts to put on the car anyway. The cost also depends if you get new tyres which would be extra ontop of compliance

jonesyVR4

Crunching Gears
First Name
Mark
Drive
EP71 Starlet turbo
OK, thanks David.
I assume then that the car doesnt need to be inspected then once it has been through compliance.

Cheers
Mark

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
David and Kat are on the money.

Compliance cost me $2k (tyres are extra depending on what tread you choose). Extra work during compliance will incur extra charge e.g. The car has non-standard parts and needs to be returned to original condition.

Once the car gets to you, as Kat points out, it will need to go through a Blue Slip inspection. If you're unlucky, on top of the Blue Slip inspection and as part of the registration process, the RTA may require you to have the car undergo another inspection at an RTA inspection centre. Yes, each of these inspections are at your expense.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I didn't have to change my tyres at all. Was pretty happy about that.

Either did I. They just swapped the stock wheels on, signed the papers and swapped them back again. As it should be! I'm pretty sure mine was complianced with the coilovers in it too - there were no signs of them having been removed. They charged me for removing them though of course. With the way they charged, I dunno how they went out of business.... :cautious:

Compliance cost is just like everything else with your car. Allow a buffer. There is always a chance of extra costs coming up, whether you're getting your car complianced or just getting it serviced. Seems pretty simple to me.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
After about 1991, all Japanese cars were fitted with side intrusion bars, that's not an issue for Legnums.

Compliance and what gets done and doesn't get done (or more like "what you can get away with not doing") varies a lot from state to state.

One more good reason to use a broker - some workshops will quote $2K for compliance, then when your car gets there, will say that didn't include GST, then charge you for parts and then say it needs extra work done (control arms seems to be a favourite) and get themselves a whole heap of extra work before they will sign off on it. You're really at their mercy if you choose the wrong one.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
some workshops will quote $2K for compliance, then when your car gets there, will say that didn't include GST, then charge you for parts and then say it needs extra work done (control arms seems to be a favourite) and get themselves a whole heap of extra work before they will sign off on it. You're really at their mercy if you choose the wrong one.

LOL that sounds sooooooo familiar. Ah well. If I can offer a recommendation to anyone going through compliance, it is to take the car elsewhere to get all the "problems" they find fixed. I did so, and saved myself approx $3,000.

Top Bottom