Compliance tyres

Kissmyfur

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Chris
Drive
Just ordered a 99 Legnum
I was just wondering what the criteria for new compliance tyres is? I've heard of imports not needing a tyre change as they passed for compliance. I know that they need to be to australian standards but how exactly do you know if they are. From the photographs in Japan, my cars tyres look brand new. Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-03. I have no idea if they are good tyres but i'm sure they're better than the $400 compliance numbers i'm planning on putting on to begin with.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
They're snow tyres. Good for drifting on the rear of an underpowered car (no grip and last forever), no good for anything else. Except maybe driving in snow.

You'll need new tyres mate.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Hi Chris.

My tyres were definitely changed during compliance.

My understanding is that the criteria that compliance shops use is "what is the cheapest tyre we can buy that will meet Australian standards". The answer is usually "something made in Korea or Taiwan".

I know that not everyone has had their tyres changed at compliance. However, there was someone on these forums who didn't have the tyres changed and subsequently, the tyres split whilst they were driving! Moral - just because the jap tyres look good, doesn't mean that they are.

A couple of points to consider to help you with the decision with compliance tyres:

a) If you plan on keeping the stock wheels for a while, it is a good idea to contact the compliance shop and ask them to fit better tyres. You are free to choose the tyres you want and the shop usually gets them at trade price.

b) If you plan on immediately upgrading to a larger rim, then stay with the cheapest compliance tyre. It won't matter anyway as you'll ditch them and get better tyres to go with your larger rims.

Kissmyfur

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Chris
Drive
Just ordered a 99 Legnum
ha ha, damn, I should have googled them before making a stupid post. At least i've proven i know nothing about tyres. Makes sense with the name - Blizzak

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Just get some Aussie spec tyres.

Or better still, just get a wheel and tyre package and save money on an orginal set of tyres you'll replace when you get rims :)

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
You'll find that most high-end Japanese tyres are a lot better than Australian ones. The worn out Eagle Revspecs that came on my car (compliance just swapped stock rims on to the car then swapped them back, at my request) are still going strong, now on their 3rd car since arriving, and have been subjected to some severe puninshment on my mate's old Silvia. They even did a drift day on the front of the car and went fine.

I should have prefaced my comments on tyres by saying I run on Circlings though I guess!

Kissmyfur

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Chris
Drive
Just ordered a 99 Legnum
Yeah cheers guys. I'll probably just get some half decent new ones as I'm not going going to get new rims for a while and can't afford a tyre and wheel package at the moment.

Top Bottom