Control Arms and camber stuff

G

Unregistered
This doesn't just happen on Legnums ... my 200sx had 3 degrees camber on the rear when I dropped it ... its awesome if don't do much straight line driving ... lol

lots of cars do it.. my 33 was the same, kylies stagea was the same...
my compliance tyres lasted 7000km with 3-4 degree's on the rear (it needed that much camber to tuck 9" wide rims with 255's on them up in the guards!)

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
not sure on drop maybe 4-60mm ish??

gave me -3.5 on the rear and -2.5 on the front

thats 2degrees out side factory limits, inside tire eating camber :D

OK. Sounds like it will be enough to tuck my wheels in whenever I get them.

Why are the factory limits so weak? -1.5 is hardly anything at all, wouldn't have thought you would get much grip from the tyres pushing hard with those settings.

Also, my stock height leggy looks to almost have positive front camber.... Normal I assume?

G

Unregistered
coz our cars are road cars not race cars and as such dont need much camber

the - camber camber adds pressure to the inside of the tyre which chews it up pretty quickly,

only a little - camber is needed from street use,

factory recommended camber limits,

-0.2 to -0.4 on the front
-0.2 to -1.2 on the rear

anything more than 2-3 degrees will eat up street tyres

when i was running 17" tyres i was killing a set (off 4) in a year with -2.3 on the front and -3.5 on the rear, 60mm drop

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
found these part numbers from fulcrum..

fulcrum.jpg

Front Control Arm Lower - Inner Bushing
Front Control Arm Lower - Shock Mount Bushing
Rear Control Arm Upper - Outer Bushing
Rear Trailing Arm - Front Bushing

I wonder if all of these would work on our cars..

G

Unregistered
These are mentioned on ClubVR4 as well. I thanlk a couple of people have fitted them but there was a question mark about one of the bushes as it was not clear where it fitted.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
thanks Peter, Fulcrum's head office isn't that far from where I live.. I'll give them a visit sometime..

can you find out the part # of that particular bush that didn't fit or didn't know where to fit? so I can ask them..

G

Unregistered
The problem is with one of the rear ones. Here's the text about it

right to update this thread , the rears , one bush go's in the top of the upright where it mounts to the upper wishbone , and the other bush is well not even close to any other bush on the rear end , its smaller than the trailing arm front bush and bigger than every thing else , i used mine in the track control arm , but that was with a few modifications so if anyones thinking of ordering some just get the front set , and the ones for the rear upright . all in all a very worthy modification

G

Unregistered
found these part numbers from fulcrum..

fulcrum.jpg

Front Control Arm Lower - Inner Bushing
Front Control Arm Lower - Shock Mount Bushing
Rear Control Arm Upper - Outer Bushing
Rear Trailing Arm - Front Bushing

I wonder if all of these would work on our cars..
Nice find.
My suspension is now squeaking so i think its time do fix the problem.
So does this mean I have 2 choices.

1) buy the original Mitsi bottom arms (left arm is MR296295 right is MR296296) hope these are the right part numbers?

2) Buy these fulcrum bushes instead

or are they different bushes?
I havn't put much thought into this so hope its not a silly question.

How are the stock bushes VS fulcrum ones in performance

Any other ideas to stop the squeaks? Anyone got prices on the arms/bushes?

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
watch out, they sit low on the car, not lowered car or speed bump friendly,
not something you want on unless your on a nice smooth road or racetrack

while this topic is bumped back up, might just say that YES, these lower bars are VERY unfriendly when lowering your car LOL ask Christian's front lawn between the driveway parts..... or ask the dirt where the lawn was.. i think i had about 4cm between the braces and the ground, if that. The rest would have been fine if i didnt have the bars :) raised it back up a bit, so its not 'too' bad now.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Emanuel.. bushing for our VR4's (PFL or FL) are the same as the 7th Gen Galants, whether it is VR4 or FWD..

knowing that they are the same between models.. I'd bet $100 that we can use the USDM 95-99 D33A model Eclipse's polyurethane bushes..

like this one or this

here are some pics..

4185_1.jpg

6614_1.jpg

as far as i know they are complete set

G

Unregistered
Emanuel.. bushing for our VR4's (Series 1 or FL) are the same as the 7th Gen Galants, whether it is VR4 or FWD..

knowing that they are the same between models.. I'd bet $100 that we can use the USDM 95-99 D33A model Eclipse's polyurethane bushes..

like this one or this

here are some pics..

4185_1.jpg

6614_1.jpg

as far as i know they are complete set

Cool, can anyone else confirm this as I might buy a set then.
hhhmmm the black set or the red set? As one is 5.18107R, the other is 5.18107B?

So these just replace whats in the lower arm's then right? + all the others. So these would be no reason to buy new lower arms then right?
I'll still get prices on mitsi lower arms though.

G

Unregistered
be the first to try an let us know.
dont have that much to spare on something that might not work 100%.

G

Unregistered
I have the front set from Energy Suspension to fit but not had the time yet. The rear eclipse bushes may not be the same size as Keiran ordered a rear control arm to try and the bush is a different size

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
cool.. thanks for letting us know.. i might order the front soon.. should be easy since press is handy..

G

Unregistered
One of the guys on clubvr4 has just been asked if the bushs fit the rear as he says apart from the transmission ones they all fit .Awaiting clarification on this. Would be great if they do all fit but a bit stange when the complete control arm has a different size of bush

In this thread

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31418

G

Unregistered
Yeah, just to back up what peter mentions, I ordered a toe control arm for a 2G AWD eclipse. Identical shape and balljoint, but the bush on the subframe end was slightly different - The centre tube is too long, so you can't fit it onto the subframe.

However, I think this is the exception. We know that some 2G Eclipse stuff fits. I know one chap on CVR4 who's fitted eclipse front bearings/hubs to his Legnum - A direct swap.

Getting the bushings replaced is very high on my priority list - They really let my car down, so if the Energy suspension stuff fits, that's got to be a bonus.

This site may help - Scroll to the bottom. It mentions Prothane bushes as an alternative to ES stuff. According to them the Prothane stuff is more stiff, but you get more bushings and they're easier to install. There's also a link to a LOT of suspension diagrams showing you the exact bushes that are replaced.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclsuspension.htm

G

Unregistered
Just orderd the black set as the black bushings have graphite within the polyurethane.

4185_1.jpg

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
how can the graphite benefit the bushes? wouldn't that have made the suspension feel a bit more "SOLID"

G

Unregistered
how can the graphite benefit the bushes? wouldn't that have made the suspension feel a bit more "SOLID"
Graphite is just a really good well sort of lubricant , you still have to use the grease when installing them though.

Emanual, where did you order those from?
From ebay of corse.;)
There are some other sellers with the same kits but this guy has the cheaper postage. Some other people wanted over $100 just for postage

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=280146010544&rd=1

5.18107G is the black kit with graphite
5.18107R is the red kit without graphite

Top Bottom