Coolant leak from around thermostat housing

VR4STHOZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
shane
Drive
1999 Legnum Type-S
So i went for a smal drive tonight(all 60km area) stopped at a shop and noticed some coolant under the car.. didnt look like it was coming from mine.. so took it easy and drove home..
No difference in temp,way its driving etc.. and it seems to be only leaking when stopped and not for long(seems to stop after about a 30 seconds).. took my snorkel and intercooler pipe off and had a look and it look like the hose coming from the thermostat to bottom of the radiator is bulging a bit (at the thermostat end).. i haven't taken the clamp off yet due to it being hot still.. but im hoping its just a leak from the hose bulging and when it loses pressure its not seating correctly..

Looks like there is a little corrosion around the end of the hose aswell..
any suggestions?

VR4STHOZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
shane
Drive
1999 Legnum Type-S
Ok just took off top and bottom radiator hoses(thrmostat end) and i can feel a cres(about an inch long) down the side on the bottom one and there is a small slit in the top(doesnt seem to go all the way through) but both have stretched alot.. and looked at the themorstat housing etc and there is no signs of a leak at all..

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Hose is stuffed, needs replacing. Maybe some corrosion on the housing as well. Corrosion is from the coolant leaking out and evaporating and then oxygenation of the metal, kind of like oxy cutting.

VR4STHOZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
shane
Drive
1999 Legnum Type-S
right.. now i guess these wont be anything i can get from mitsubishi.. will they..

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I possibly have a set lying around, can't remember. I used a magna V6 hose for my lower and a VS commodore hose for my upper once when I was desperate, they were in there for a couple of years too....

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
had same issue, my thermostat housing was quite badly pitted where the hose connected as well but i repared it with the 2 part 'metal putty' stuff + a new hose and that was ok. i think a new housing was quite pricey was a few yrs back though may be cheaper now..

Top Bottom