Cooling system, loss of coolant

Grey_Ghost

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
1997 Trigger PFL Manual Legnum.
Last week, I swapped the water in my cooling system that was originally coolant, back to coolant, after solving the no-pressure, and what I thought was coolant loss.

I bled the car, through the cap and the thermostat housing. Until today the level hadn't really changed.

I came up the steep hill near my place, and the car hesitated at the top once. (It is an 8% grade. It is 30 degrees. I was doing full load up the hill)
It ran fine going down the hill, then into my driveway.

It's used this much coolant today. The system held pressure. I did rebleed it in case it was that, I got large bubbles in the radiator.

It's being slightly noisier than last week, but this particular motor is whisper quiet.

IMG_20170227_1859564.jpg

VR45UM

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR4
Did you clamp off the heater core pipes when you bled the system or vacuum fill the system? Heater cores are notorious for air pockets.
Normally after filling the system recommend revving the shit out of the engine(once its warm) to get the water pump pushing as hard as possible.

Grey_Ghost

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
OK. Drained overflow again today. I have had a bottle attached to the outlet. It's not venting the bottle.

Carpets are dry. If it's idling at the lights, I can smell coolant.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
Ooo head

edit: does it smell sweet out the exhaust when idling and warm?

Grey_Ghost

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
It blew out both upper *and* lower radiator hoses today. I'll replace them both, and reassess. They could be a symptom or a cause!

Grey_Ghost

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
A few weeks, I've been not dallying it. I'm going through about a litre every 1000km, as in, I need to add water when I add petrol.

Top Bottom