Cost to drive to sydney

G

Unregistered
Ok we have a trip to sydney organised in May, I have driven this a few times before but never in a thirsty TT.

Has anyone made this trip in a Legnum? if so how many tanks did it take how were you driving?

flights will be $400 return

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
i hav no idea, but i thought some maths could help us

distance: 1380km

consumption: average of 14L per 100kms

= approx 196L give or take

so premium is about $1.45/L

so about $285 in fuel (probably a generous estimate, could be less)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Yup, Adelaide to Sydney is 1380kms
I'd bank on an around of 13.0 L/100, 180L of fuel.
I'd assume $1.60/L as in country areas fuel is dearer than metro, so $288 total EACH WAY. So flying would be cheaper BUT do you have a way to get around sydney once you are there? Also, can you afford 1.5 days of travel each way, or only 0.5 day via flights?

Personally, I'd fly, hire a car, then fly back but that's because I have a young child and CBF driving the whole way with a 19mth old ;)

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
I dove to the Gold Coast via Wagga, Canberra, Blue Mountains a few weeks ago, for the 5000km travelled, averaged spot on 10.0l/100 (best tank was below 9). Did not pay above $1.50 for 98 the whole way (normally about $1.40). My leggy is manual though, and around town average between 10.5 to 11l/100. You just have to do the maths. What sort of economy do you get around town?

G

Unregistered
thanks guys i thought it would be cheaper flying, and to tell you the truth i recon its going to be a big weekend (drinking/dancing) anyway so wont be able to drive very much when there. also the drive home would be a bugger when hung over.

Just though it would be a nice experience to get to know the new legnum.

Gary31

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
96 Legnum V-r4
I dove to the Gold Coast via Wagga, Canberra, Blue Mountains a few weeks ago, for the 5000km travelled, averaged spot on 10.0l/100 (best tank was below 9). Did not pay above $1.50 for 98 the whole way (normally about $1.40). My leggy is manual though, and around town average between 10.5 to 11l/100. You just have to do the maths. What sort of economy do you get around town?

Yeah i had simmilar consumption figures ( about 10-10.5 normally) when i drove up to Hervey bay, although my around town ecconomy is 12-12.5, mine is a manual also.

AUSVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
'00 Mitsubishi Legnum
I'm about to do it tomorrow morning... but in the Euro.

I'm banking on around the 8.5l/100 km hopefully. I forget what I did on the trip back when I bought it.

I remember though that the old VR4 did about 9.5 km/100 km with considerably more power than a Legnum. But that car was one in a million

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Assuming the car is in good mechanic condition, I'd bet that the highway average will be closer to 10-11l/100klms (some go under 10 on the highway).

Aside from the fuel costs, don't forget about maintenance and wear and tear on your car i.e. you'll be 1,400klms closer to the next service!

Money aside, also think about practicality and loss of time and opportunity. Sure, in pure dollar terms, you might save a couple of hundred driving, but you'll lose many hours on the road that you could have spent in a pub, sight seeing or simply relaxing in the hotel.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
On the other hand, if you aren't pressed for time and want the feeling that only a road trip can give you, the VR-4 is a great cruiser to do it in. I drove from Melbourne to Sydney and back a few months ago, on a three-day trip. Would have been much "easier" to fly (but not cheaper, factoring in rental car/taxis). But I hadn't done a road trip (especially solo) in years and years. It was awesome.

I also averaged under 10L per 100km.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
yeh id definitely put fuel consumption around the 10l/100k mark. i went for a run south to margaret river and back from perth when i first bought my car, didnt realise i had 24 psi in the tires till i was back and in a manuel so its sitting above 3000rpm most of the way (autos will be better) and was getting 10's. also with a hugely over-flooding ecu

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
pah fuel consumption!

my vr4 is like my drug so like an addict i 'use' as much of the hard stuff i need to get a hit

lol, hi, im Paul and im a vr4 addict

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Id bank on 10l/100 so it will be less than flying but as had been said, the time factor makes it hard. If it was Melb and only 7.5 hrs drive, then it would be easier but id fly cos its more time in the pub ;)

ed84

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddie
Drive
09' Mitsubishi SWB Pajero NT X DiD, Honda CBR250rr
HAD: 99' Legnum s 2 Type S, 98' Galant S2 Type V
10/100??? i think i got best about 12 but thats an auto and it was 47C or something with my stupid pod sucking probably 80C under the bonnet.
My gearbox started playing sillybuggers near wagga wagga too didn wanna stay in 5th at 110 - it was suggested that this was the electronics protecting it.
But yeh great drive but driving back hung over sucks

AUSVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
'00 Mitsubishi Legnum
Just for ships and giggles my Accord got:

- 6.99L/100km for the first tank (highway driving on the way there)
- 7.52L/100km for the second tank (joint town/highway driving)
- 7.68L/100km for the third tank (highway driving on the way home).

I don't think you'll get that in the Legnum :p

Top Bottom