Crank bearings . What are we replacing them with

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
Looking for part numbers brand on crank bearings genuine or acl race bearings what are you guys replacing with thanks

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Looking for part numbers brand on crank bearings genuine or acl race bearings what are you guys replacing with thanks
Genuine. There's nothing else available.
You will need to check your bearing clearances and then select the most appropriate size bearings, you have 3 sizes to choose from, it's all in the manual ;)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
If your going after stupid power ie 500+hp then you could consider getting them WPC treated but you'll need to send them to Japan or USA. It's a process that was developed in Japan it was something I was going to do to my track engine

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Parts that I ordered were...

MD344365 x 6
MD344361 x 4
MD344362 x 1

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
Genuine. There's nothing else available.
You will need to check your bearing clearances and then select the most appropriate size bearings, you have 3 sizes to choose from, it's all in the manual ;)
Ah :banghead::banghead:so that means I got to pull it out measure ,:whistle::whistle:wait god knows how long to put it all back together? Dam you Mitsubishi for changing shit:mad::mad:Guess my weekend job just got a lot longer(n). Can we get from engine number cross reference ? Oh and my 2 book manual doesn't have engine block in it, has everything else that's useless to me. Thanks guys

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Ah :banghead::banghead:so that means I got to pull it out measure ,:whistle::whistle:wait god knows how long to put it all back together? Dam you Mitsubishi for changing shit:mad::mad:Guess my weekend job just got a lot longer(n). Can we get from engine number cross reference ? Oh and my 2 book manual doesn't have engine block in it, has everything else that's useless to me. Thanks guys
Your crank will be stamped with its size at manufacture its on the crank and bottom of the block. I'm on holidays so I can't look it up for you

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
Your crank will be stamped with its size at manufacture its on the crank and bottom of the block. I'm on holidays so I can't look it up for you
Thanks bud (y) do you know of hand where on bottom of block? Do I need to remove sump ?I'll be checking tomorrow for it now before I go too far

Reactions: Gav

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Thanks bud (y) do you know of hand where on bottom of block? Do I need to remove sump ?I'll be checking tomorrow for it now before I go too far
I can't remember if it's stamped inside or on the flat section the lower pan bolts onto. I think it's the latter but without the manual I can't be certain. Just check the manual

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
Why do you need to replace the bearings anyway?
I always order the thickest bearings and hone the tunnels to suit, that way you get the best clearances
All top end has bin replaced and put in a gearbox with taller gear ratios and a wavetrac lsd, long story short car was driven after that without re tune car had boost leak now can hear rattle like knock from bottom end. So want to flip her up pull crank get it checked and put in new bearings.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
The problem is as said above bearings are available genuine only and only standard sizes. Usually all 3 weeks ex japan too so if your engine has buggered a bearing and marred your crankshaft journals you will need a new crank as you cant just grind it and use undersize aftermarket bearings.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
The problem is as said above bearings are available genuine only and only standard sizes. Usually all 3 weeks ex japan too so if your engine has buggered a bearing and marred your crankshaft journals you will need a new crank as you cant just grind it and use undersize aftermarket bearings.
Rogger that. Let's hope at how picky I am with noise change that I've got to it before stuffing the crank . Either way I will take it to town to have it checked before it goes back in and I'll make my mind up then. But I still need to have right parts before I start. my wife will only allow the engine to sit in living room for a week.lol

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Yeah whip the pants off it and take the rod caps and main cradle off and see if the crank journals are scratchy. Its a bugger having to wait 3 weeks for bearings each time I need to build one hence why I keep a spare set in my toolbox these days.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
Thankyou. properly pull engine on weekend if I can finish cleaning my shed.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
IMG_20170430_125945.jpg
I'm looking and looking but can't find anything. Can anyone point it in my pics? This number on rear lobe can't find any on front
Ok think I found both can someone tell me what the part numbers are for the above pics. Thank you
IMG_20170430_125945.jpg
IMG_20170430_112720.jpg
1493516391825-848478293.jpg

IMG_20170430_112720.jpg
1493516391825-848478293.jpg

wintertidenz

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Daniel
Drive
98 Galant VR4
You're missing the set of numbers printed on the block around the edge where the oil pan is bolted on. It's by the gearbox side from memory and is usually covered with grit and crap.
For the con rod bearings you need 5x MD344364 and 1x MD344363.

I'd still take it apart and check it if you had knock as you could have further damage and marked the cylinder walls.

Top Bottom