Custom stereo pics

G

Unregistered
Hey Guys, Just thought it would be good to see some of the stereo set ups yall running with, wouldnt mind checking out some of them, so feel free to post em here,

Thanks
Cory

G

Unregistered
And now a quick one for the guys who have subs installed, where have u installed them? as i dont really want to put chunky subs in and loose the space in the wagon.....

Im pretty tempted to just run a system with no Subs, and just run splits in the Front and Splits in the Rear,
Im not much of a Doof Doof boy.

Any suggestions lay them on me, will be doing it all this weekend.
Thanks
cory

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
how about running a decent h/u, 4 channel amp, splits for the front adn 6x9 for the rear? they usually are a good combinations..

mine's a sedan so many it wouldn't be agood idea to show you mine..

G

Unregistered
i've got a JVC AVX800, 7" touchscreen multimedia deck
kwavx800.jpg

at the moment i've got the factory speakers, and a pioneer 12" sub in the back, with the amp in the under tray

but will soon have kenwood 6" splits front and rear off a 4x200w amp, along with twin 12" kenwood subs off an 1100w monoblock.

amp for speakers will be mounted under the drivers seat, and the sub amp will be mounted in the undertray in the boot.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
If you really MUST have a stereo without a sub, try to get a pair of good 7x10's. Pioneer used to do the best ones, but that range isn't available anymore sadly.

You don't need to be a 'doof-doof boy' to appreciate a sub - almost every form of music you care to name includes 'sub-channel' audio. Now while a sub TECHNICALLY should only reproduce 'sub-audio' range sound, almost no subs are set up to run like that. They run in the very low 30 to 120Hz range. 30ish and below is about the bottom range of human hearing, so a true sub should run from about 15 to 30Hz. But there are only a handful of subs that have ever been designed for this range, as most people fail to see the point of a speaker you can't actually hear...

So a sub gives you extremely low range sound, which you just can't reproduce accurately without one. It gives you more volume and dynamic range which you just can't get without one (without blowing up your mid-range drivers in the process of trying to get there). It gives you a kick, a punch feeling from movement and vibration of air that is literally impossible to reproduce without a very large diameter cone being shunted by some impressively massive magnets. If you're listening to the right music, it can send the most amazing tingle not just down your spine, but through your entire BODY that is utterly impossible to imagine unless you've experienced the joy of a well designed bass arrangement.

Bass is a part of the music you listen to. If you don't have the speakers to reproduce those sounds accurately, then you literally can't hear the music the artist intended for you. Admittedly with most commercial music they deliberately design and master the audio to sound good on rubbish speakers, which makes them sound rubbish on good speakers - you can't have everything. But if you care about music in the least, and you listen to bands that care about their music enough to master it properly, then you cannot do without a sub. Its not just heresy, its stupid.

G

Unregistered
I would suggest getting something like digital designs DDW6.5LTs and making a box to sit under the seats if you don't want to take up space. There are plenty of small (ie. 6") subs on the market that will provide decent output and decent quality.

My opinion (and that of most of the competing car audio field) is that you only really need one set of speakers up front. If they're good enough, and powered sufficiently, you won't need rears at all. If you have kids or take passengers frequently, then you may want to hook up the stock speakers just so you can fade them on when necessary. However, I wouldn't waste money on them personally.

I've been meaning to take photos for some time now of my install, which I'll do tomorrow. However, the gear I've got:

Headunit: Alpine CDA 9835
Splits: Morel Supremo/DDW6.5 hybrids
Speaker amp: Arc Audio 4150XXK
Subs: 2 x Alumapro Alchemy MX
Sub amp: Phoenix Gold X600.1

I'm still doing significant tuning to it at the moment so I'm not raving just yet. In saying that, it does sound pretty impressive.

Leigh

G

Unregistered
Get some BOSTON ACOUSTICS SPZ60 they are the best 6.5 splits you could probably get. RRP$1900 or something. Ebay has them for about$700 posted from the US. They will have great bass. Then a good 4 channel amp to run all 4 speakers. I wish i could get them.

Does anyone know much about Dynamat Door SOUND DAMPENING? Does it work well?

G

Unregistered
Subs are good to have but they do take upalot of room and can get heavy. ive got- a 2007 sony headunit CDXGT50UI, sony xplode 6" 3way door speakers XSGT6038X ,2x12inch Alpine Type-R 500rms subs SWR-1242D, Alpine digital amp 1000watt. Subs are facing the front behind the back seat just under the brace, they sound heaps better than having them face backwards, the whole system sounds pretty good but want a power cap and another amp.

G

Unregistered
Get some BOSTON ACOUSTICS SPZ60 they are the best 6.5 splits you could probably get. RRP$1900 or something. Ebay has them for about$700 posted from the US. They will have great bass. Then a good 4 channel amp to run all 4 speakers. I wish i could get them.

Does anyone know much about Dynamat Door SOUND DAMPENING? Does it work well?
Actually, Z's don't play down low very well at all.

Dynamat basically adds weight to car panels to lower the resonating frequency. This means less rattle.

Leigh

G

Unregistered
Actually, Z's don't play down low very well at all.
Leigh

Are you sure about that becuase from what I can tell these have the great bass and are crystal clear.

Taken from there website
BOSTON ACOUSTICS SPZ60
"With nearly 1-inch of peak-to-peak excursion, SPZ delivers even more bass from a standard size speaker. "

G

Unregistered
Big difference between midbass and subbass. I have heard numerous times that people aren't getting strong response below 70hz with the Zs.

A 6.5" speaker is always going to struggle down low unless it is specifically designed for ultra low response - ie. like the digital designs DDW6.5 or DDW6.5LT. And then, the DDW6.5LT can't play above 1Khz and the DDW6.5 isn't the strongest through the midrange, either. Simply put - you can't get everything from one speaker.

http://www.qmax.com.au/ - Invisabass is your best bet. Rave reviews

Leigh

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
i will have installed soon .... after Xmas
Pioneer DVD Head Unit
7" Headrest Screens x 2
9" Visor Screens x 2
12' Sub + Amp
6 standard speakers and 2 that have been added
Also might have to see about that CD stacker that is stuck in the back...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
so lets say you had the MMCS headunit in your car and you wanted to keep that, as well as all of the interior space, so limiting yourself to the stock 4 door speakers and the two tweeters at the bottom of the A-Pillars, what would be a good option for someone like myself who likes bands such as AC/DC, Led Zep, The Who, Rolling Stones, Metallica, Collective Soul, Live, Pink Floyd, Queen, Meatloaf, Guns and Roses, Foo Fighters and other similar bands.

G

Unregistered
how are the front speakers wired up..
i know the door speaker and tweeter run off the front speaker wiring.. but is there a crossover? or do both just get full range, and the tweeters have a high pass filter?

i'll likely run all new wiring when i install my door speakers and amps.. and hopefully the tweeters fit in behind the mirror... otherwise i might have to make a custom bracket or something for in there.

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
can someone tell me some good speakers, for under $200.00 to fit in the front doors(and rears), that give off the best bass possible, and good all round performance...???

G

Unregistered
so lets say you had the MMCS headunit in your car and you wanted to keep that, as well as all of the interior space, so limiting yourself to the stock 4 door speakers and the two tweeters at the bottom of the A-Pillars, what would be a good option for someone like myself who likes bands such as AC/DC, Led Zep, The Who, Rolling Stones, Metallica, Collective Soul, Live, Pink Floyd, Queen, Meatloaf, Guns and Roses, Foo Fighters and other similar bands.
First thing I'd get is a decent amp 4 channel amp installed under the passenger seat. I would recommend the invisabass under the driver's seat for the sub. As for the front speakers, they are subject to taste and budget, not to mention finding tweeters small enough to fit into the stock locations.

As for rears - I'd suggest just using the stocks if you totally have to have rear speakers. Alternatively, instead using the invisabass, you could use 2 DD1008s, DDW6.5LT or similar small subs capable of being played free-air and use them on the rear parcel shelf or wherever they are in the Legnums.

G

Unregistered
i will have installed soon .... after Xmas
Pioneer DVD Head Unit
7" Headrest Screens x 2
9" Visor Screens x 2
12' Sub + Amp
6 standard speakers and 2 that have been added
Also might have to see about that CD stacker that is stuck in the back...
Why spend all that money and keep the stock speakers? :confused:

Leigh

G

Unregistered
can someone tell me some good speakers, for under $200.00 to fit in the front doors(and rears), that give off the best bass possible, and good all round performance...???
To be honest, at that price you're going to be struggling to be much better than stock.

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
Thats under $200.00 a pair, not for all 4, surely there'd be somthing ok for that...???...There are some Rockford Fosgate splits on ebay, for $145.00, with 70w "RMS" power each, and my headunit is 40w a channel, surely it's better than the 15w a pop, that mitsi blessed us with...??? :confused::confused::confused:

Top Bottom