Custom stereo pics

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
lol, ive never had anyone look at my system caz quite frankly most of the salespeople don't actually know anything, lol, but i think my subs are at the limits, ive pretty much taken the bass out of all my speakers n all the bass is from the subs, but in my other car i put my more expensive/more powerful kickers in there, they're crap, i want to throw them in the bin, lolz i think ima start fresh with the legnum if n when i get it, n my old civic is going to get stripped to reduce weight, lolz, maybe it's quiet caz im going deaf, who knows!, lol

G

Unregistered
Leigh what's your thinking behind this? That will leave a 10hz hole in your audio range...?
Even assuming that -24db per octave crossovers are used, the subs will only be -5db~ at 100hz, and the splits -5db~ at 90 hz. Remember, crossovers are slopes, they are not blocks. Also, depending upon the response of the speakers, if they are crossed over at the same point, there may be a peak at the crossover point.

Ideally, you cross the speakers over as low as they can handle and then cross the subs to suit. It's impossible to state the best crossover slopes + points without knowing the response of the components in the car. Typically, for splits of decent quality, you start at 100hz, 12db slopes and go lower. Then start the subs with typically the same slope, although mixed can work as well (depending upon the phase of the speakers), around 10-20hz below the mids' crossover points. You then increase the crossover point until the response is flat.

For the record, my mids are designed to play very low, so I cross them over at 50hz, and play the sub up to 67hz. However, because they aren't in sealed boxes, but are in pretty well-sealed doors, they start to roll off a little early and need the higher crossover from the subs.

Leigh

G

Unregistered
lol, ive never had anyone look at my system caz quite frankly most of the salespeople don't actually know anything, lol, but i think my subs are at the limits, ive pretty much taken the bass out of all my speakers n all the bass is from the subs, but in my other car i put my more expensive/more powerful kickers in there, they're crap, i want to throw them in the bin, lolz i think ima start fresh with the legnum if n when i get it, n my old civic is going to get stripped to reduce weight, lolz, maybe it's quiet caz im going deaf, who knows!, lol
Go to Fhrx Studios or Precision Studios. They are very highly recommended. Fhrx in particular have a great reputation. Without actually seeing your car and listening to it, there isn't much anyone can do.

G

Unregistered
Well it looks like im going to be the first to actually post pictures of a custom install (mind you its not of a legnum or galant). This is the boot of my girls lancer (we didnt feel the need for boot space). 2x10" Kicker L7 Subs, Mono channel amp (for the subs) and 4 channel amp (to run the front 2 speakers) and the front speakers are Kicker SS Splits. Being that its a coupe, i didnt feel the need to replace the rear speakers, just hooked them up off the headunit to give a bit of ambience.

Boxes designed by myself and built by my father.

Ill have to dig up some pictures from my old magna but they arnt as advanced as this set up.

Attachments

• Lancer_Flash.jpg
    Lancer_Flash.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 200
  • Lancer_NoFlash.jpg
    Lancer_NoFlash.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 163
G

Unregistered
My Old Magna Stereo install. 2x12" Boss Subs, 2x6" Mids, 2x6"x9" Mids, 1x2 Channel and 1x4 Channel amp. The subs point into the car and slightly toward each other.

Boxes designed by myself and built by my father. Ive come along way since i did this install. It was very conservative compared to my girls Lancer.

Attachments

• Magna_00.jpg
    Magna_00.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Magna_01.jpg
    Magna_01.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 133
  • Magna_02.jpg
    Magna_02.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Magna_03.jpg
    Magna_03.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 148
G

Unregistered
show off!! but hella nice.. I like it :D

Thanks mate. I love how the Kicker System turned out, mix that with some big rims, body kit and a new paint job and i think i will have a show pony.

Now with the VR-4 i just have to work out how to fit the two 12's in around the gps and then i think ill be set.

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
I'm currently thinking about how to do a sub install in the legnum. Two options:

a) Total stealth, fiberglass enclosure with sub all under false floor. Nothing to see (ideal), but a lot more complicated to build and will take some intelligent design to make it work well from a SQ point of view. Also the bonus that you have totally usable boot without having to remove the sub box.

b) Sub box with amp in boot. Easy to remove when space is needed. Cargo cover to keep it out of view. Easy to build and guaranteed to sound good.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
The problem with amps mounted to sub boxes is the amp will get shaken to hell, so if there's even a slightly dodgy solder joint in there you'll end up with a dry joint and an intermittent short. I have a Kicker amp mounted to my sub box in my Magna and its been fine, but I killed another amp in a week with the same setup (and that amp had been fine for years previously). Your mileage will vary, just be aware of the drawbacks.

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
I suppose it'll depend on how solidly you build the box too... I.e. make sure to use thick enough MDF and have sufficient internal bracing. Anyhow, not too worried about that art at the moment! That's the least of my worries! :)

G

Unregistered
Where has everyone been installing the front crossover boxes?

Also what is the best material to make some spacers for the rear doors as the magnet on the speaker will hit the window when its down. (Magnet 1.5" thick and 4"wide)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
BTW - Mmmmmmmmmmm custom!

My old car -

2x Splits (MTX/Clarion)
2x 12" Subs (Alpine)
2x Amps (Rockford/Clarion)
1x 2 Farad Cap (Aerpro)
1x Custom, ported sub box
1x >1000WRMS
1x 139.4dB
1x :D

G

Unregistered
Yea MDF or someone on here recomended another material to use a while back, I'll have to do some searching.

EDIT:
I just bought a pair of alpine type R 12" subs off ebay, and the guy who I bought it off recommended this stuff to be used instead of MDF.

4e0fceb4cf10dd16cf43667f69fe2100.jpg

It's called varioline and is supposed to be really strong, easy to work with and almost as light as plastic which is very helpful when trying to keep weight down. He reckons around $120 worth should get me plenty.
MDF is away cheaper and what we will all use I think.

And what about installing the front crossover boxes. Locations?

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
And what about installing the front crossover boxes. Locations?
try corners of footwells, under dash, centre console, doors, plenty of places, just be creative, lolz

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
mine are about 12 inches to the side of the speaker,youll find a weird yellow block of polyeurethane looking yellow stuff,i took that off and put the crossover in there and it works fine,theres heaps of room to work with just depends on the size of the crossover.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
guys if you want decent splits go MB Quarts from germany...they range between $350-$1500 and worth every penny. they come with very good quality cross-over networks. Also if your putting decent speakers in tinny environments invest in sound deadening material. This stuff keeps the noise in the vehicle more and allows your mid range drivers to sound more bassey, so improves the sound characteristics of speakers. and power these puppies via a decent amp, you wont be disappointed

G

Unregistered
guys if you want decent splits go MB Quarts from germany...they range between $350-$1500 and worth every penny. they come with very good quality cross-over networks.

Yea I got some second hand MB Quarts for a good price and they are the top of the range ones. The crossover boxes is pritty big and there is one for each side as usaual.
Still have to instal them though.

Image010.jpg

Top Bottom