Cyber Scriber's guide to Galant & Legnum common problems

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
I have noticed that a lot of newbies and potential Galant / Legnum owners tend to ask the same question - what commonly goes wrong with these cars?

Rather than subject them to trawling through the massive "List of Problems" thread (http://www.ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2755), I thought it would help to set out below what I understand to be problems specific to our cars.

I only list those problems, which are common and where more than 1 member has experienced the issue.

Common faults

(a) Replace compliance spec oil filters - Certain compliance spec oil filters have been having problems with blowing off – replace them.

(b) Control arms prone to failure - Listen for creaking, squeeking and knocking sounds. More info in this thread - http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread....appens-if-you-don-t-replace-your-control-arms... Part numbers are MR296295 LH (ARM ASSY,FR SUSP LATERAL,LWR LH) / MR296296 RH (ARM ASSY,FR SUSP LATERAL,LWR RH)

(c) Wheel Bearings - Replace hub assembly.

(d) CV boots, joints and driveshafts - The boots can split, spraying gunk around. You know the CV joints are gone when you do a slow u turn at full steering lock and hear "clunk, clunk".

(e) Clutch master and slave cylinder.

(f) Front and rear bushes - check them for wear.

(g) Cracked radiator top tank – Very common fault. Replace with aluminium radiator.

(h) Leaking factory plastic BOV – Especially if you run higher than factory boost. Replace with metal BOV from Evo IX.

(i) Lifter noise - Either get the lifters replaced (expensive) or use Pro-ma MBL8 additive (http://www.ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2253).

(j) Worn suspension bushings / arms / ball joints.

(k) Engine mounts collapsed.

(l) Idle stepper motor – Clean it with Inlet cleaner/degreaser.

(m) Auto gearboxes - Prone to fail if not properly serviced and had a cooler fitted.

(n) Clock display - Intermittently blacks out due to poor soldered connections.

(o) Fuel tank gauge - Inaccurate and non-linear in its read out. When the fuel light comes on, the car is frequently still carrying 10+ litres in reserve.

(p) Active Yaw Control - Groaning noise from the AYC if the fluid hasn't been changed in a long time and possible AYC pump issues in high mileage cars or cars that pack substantially more power than stock.

(q) Torque converter seal and main crank seal - May need to be replaced.

(r) Tow hook cover - This is the long, little piece at the bottom of your front spoiler. It comes off very easily and owners have lost it scraping on low drive ways, speed bumps etc.

As always, I'm happy to receive constructive feedback and will update this post accordingly.

Send some rep if you find this guide useful ;)

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Good stuff mate, you post up some really useful stuff. Great for people new to the forum but i still find it all really helpful :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I would add groaning noise from the AYC if the fluid hasn't been changed for a long time, and possible AYC pump problems in high mileage cars.

millsy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jason
Drive
vr4 galant, 2005 WRX Club Spec Evo 8
I would add groaning noise from the AYC if the fluid hasn't been changed for a long time, and possible AYC pump problems in high mileage cars.

sorry guys new to this!! just brought my vr4 about 2 months ago and its startng to make a groaning noise when turning im thinking it is the ayc wat fluid do i use and would this cause a speed decrease when turning????
please pm me with comments!!

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
lol bruce thanks - just noticed carsten fixed up my OP on that topic too LOL

i feel so unreliable

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!

Thanks Brad.

Original post updated.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Good stuff mate, you post up some really useful stuff. Great for people new to the forum but i still find it all really helpful :)

No problems Luke.

We were all newbies once (I still feel like I'm learning heaps of new things about these cars!).

If you find the thread useful, send some rep ;)

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
great work bruce. I might like to add torque converter seal and main crank seal as well. I replaced them and dimi had some issues nad some others too.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
(m) Auto gearboxes - Fail. Replace with a manual gearbox post haste.

You could also add:

(q) Tow hook covers - Fall off all the time. Very poorly designed and stupid and annoying and stupid. Not to mention annoying.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Thanks Jono and Tim.

Original post updated with info re torque converter seal, main crank seal and tow hook cover.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
zip ties are your friend...

The ones that broke and allowed my tow hook cover to fall off weren't my friends. In fact, you could go so far as to say they were my enemies.

Bizarrely, I had 6 in my tow hook cover and it fell off. I have 4 holding on the entire front bumper of my Silvia and it hasn't even tried to fall off.

G

Unregistered
Great thread.

One suggestion: Is it possible to get a ballpark figure on prices to fix some of these issues?

Also interested to know how much the 100k service is roughly.

Cheers

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
great help thanks mate my ayc is groaning even around slower easier corners :( hope itll be fine after a service lol i have a few of these faults the car yard couldnt pinpoint but now i no :p still under warrinty luckly lol

thanks again

denkz

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Adam
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
I have noticed that there is a noise coming from im guessing the ac/ power steering pulley, I was told by a mechanic it was the alternator tensioner pulley so I replaced it but the noise still persists

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Driven through deep water? PS pulley is prone to being noisy and is on the lower side

denkz

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Adam
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
Yeah actually i did drive through some deep water when i was up in the Adelaide Hills and ever since then it has been noisy

denkz

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Adam
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
Hey guys ordered in a new tensioner pulley from Mitsubishi and its sounding as good as new. happy days happy days

Top Bottom