Dead Auto

wookie

Crunching Gears
Premium Member
First Name
Aaron
Drive
LTD and 1300 coupe
Hey all, so my S2 wagon decided to drop 2nd gear and reverse without any real warning so to avoid any further damage I just parked it in the garage. Did the usual checks but I figured deep down something's let go inside.
I have a couple of questions so here goes.
I'm in Cranbourne so I'm preferably looking for workshops who have good knowledge of our auto's somewhere over this side of town, may be hard I know but I have to ask.
I've seen rebuild kits in the states(Cobra) but seen mixed reviews about their kits. Is there anyone here in Oz or even possibly in New Zealand who can supply rebuild kits?
Box is allready out of the car by the way

wookie

Crunching Gears
Premium Member
First Name
Aaron
Drive
LTD and 1300 coupe
Nah didn't drain it yet. Just wanted to get it out ASAP. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be good lol

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Well if the gearsets are smashed up then a rebuild kit probably won't help. You are probably better off finding a replacement box and getting it strengthened

wookie

Crunching Gears
Premium Member
First Name
Aaron
Drive
LTD and 1300 coupe
So i drained the oil tonight and found bugger all.....not a bad thing i think. Only found a few tiny pieces of metal on the drain plug.
20170904_175013.jpg
20170904_174908.jpg

Keen on getting some recommendations guys for someone who has worked on these boxes. I've spoken to a local trans shop and while they've heard of our boxes i don't think they've worked on them.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
They are fundamentally the same as magna autoboxes.
Any experienced trans shop should be able to figure them out, but hopefully someone can recommend an auto shop in Victoria to you though.

G

Unregistered
There's no genuine rebuild kit available, and to buy all the parts individually probably costs more than the car is worth. Like Rick said, they are the same box used in Magnas, and also some Hyundais of the same era. Be sure to mention it's the 5-speed 4WD box to the workshop as they'll need to get the correct rebuild kit in, they will likely have their own preference.

Something else to consider for anyone else in a panic when their box goes bang, sometimes it can just be a dead input or output shaft sensor. When my input shaft sensor died, the gearbox did a heck of a noisy flared shift and harshly banged itself into 3rd for the limp home. It sounded like something much worse had happened, but there were no grinding noises and pulling the codes suggested the sensor which was an easy fix. So always check the diagnostic codes before assuming the worst.

wookie

Crunching Gears
Premium Member
First Name
Aaron
Drive
LTD and 1300 coupe
It probably would have been wise to check the codes....bugga. no real warning except once a couple of weeks before it hesitated before clunking into reverse. Other than that i stopped and got fuel after work one day and then when i drove off it held first gear, clunked a bit and then nothing until it picked up third. Got it home and into the garage(not far) and noticed i no longer had reverse either. Just nothing there

wookie

Crunching Gears
Premium Member
First Name
Aaron
Drive
LTD and 1300 coupe
So my auto is in the shop in pieces and they can't find a whole lot wrong with it. Nothing broken, nothing burnt. One of the drums is showing some wear from the Teflon seals which they'd like to replace and the solenoid have been checked for continuity.
After trying 3 different scan tools including a G-scan that listed Legnums in it's software and none working I did the short trick with a paperclip. I did post the video elsewhere but I'll post it here too. I get 2 codes which I think are 12(tps) and 22(input shaft speed sensor)
Am I correct or have I read it wrong?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
thought I only saw the engine light flashing?

which was 22 - crank angle?

didn't see any others

wookie

Crunching Gears
Premium Member
First Name
Aaron
Drive
LTD and 1300 coupe
So am I reading it wrong? Is the trans lights supposed to light up for trans codes? I need to get this box sorted and get this car back on the road. I miss it lol

craig

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 Legnum Super VR-4, Silver (project)
1997 Galant VR-4, soon to be manual
2004 Toyota Funcargo, Silver (daily)
It does look like 12 at the start, but never see it again so there is only 22 (maybe the long bit after turning the key counts as a 10?). I usually wait until the end of the first cycle to make sure I got the first one right.

wookie

Crunching Gears
Premium Member
First Name
Aaron
Drive
LTD and 1300 coupe
I watched the video again and got 12 at the start and then 22 but is it 22 on the engine or 22 for the auto? That's where I'm stuck. The guy at the auto shop is a bit miffed as well as the box is now in pieces and he can't find a whole lot wrong with it. Wear and tear and a lip on the rear drum(I think it's called That) from wear from the Teflon seals but other than that he says the box is in good nick.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Trans is different unit, unrelated to check engine light/ecu.

I thought the Neutral light that you need to be looking at.

wintertidenz

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Daniel
Drive
98 Galant VR4
I can't see any neutral light flashing. Check the cabin fuses for the reverse light, it's shared with the TCU.
Have had this go before and it stuck itself into third gear.

Also check the TCU connections under the dash, remove the kick panel on the passengers side closest to the stereo to find them.

Top Bottom