NSW Desperate Help Needed

CJT

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Chris
Drive
2002 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 Type S
Hey guys,

So as previously mentioned I am in a massive jam. Currently my FL Legnum VR4 is dead. All forward gears dont work, and I believe it is something electrical as the gearbox mechanically has been checked and is fault-less. Reverse gear also works fine.

An auto electrician has also looked at it and cant find a fault. I am thinking maybe it is the TCU? Does anyone have any experience with these? Or had a similar issue?

Further to all of this, is anyone in the North of Sydney that could potentially have a look at it with me this weekend? I can pay in beer or cash or anything! Or even have a spare TCU I can try swapping out?

Thanks guys, any help would be amazing

I have also uploaded a video of its behaviour to youtube:

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
do you have a reversing camera or anything tapped into the reversing light? a tow bar with plug?

unlikely the auto electrician wouldn't find it but I once had funky gearbox issues when i accidentally gave power to the reverse lights when it wasn't in reverse.

your reverse lights don't stay on when you select drive do they?

CJT

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Chris
Drive
do you have a reversing camera or anything tapped into the reversing light? a tow bar with plug?

unlikely the auto electrician wouldn't find it but I once had funky gearbox issues when i accidentally gave power to the reverse lights when it wasn't in reverse.

your reverse lights don't stay on when you select drive do they?

Unfortunately no reverse camera, sensors or tow plug..
I don't think the lights stay on, but I may need to check. You thinking it could be a reverse gear sensor or something like that confusing the TCU? Or a crossed wire mixing it up?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
if there is power to the reverse lights then the TCU thinks you are in reverse and won't select drive

d3ck5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dexter
Drive
VR4, VR6
isnt the default answer to any question from a sydney sider to contact Steve from TME?

anyway, good luck with it, im sure between steve and the brains trust on this board youll sort it out

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Oops, I was meant ring his auto guy but been a tad busy.... i have some tcus lying around though so can help there if it's the correct one. Now did it always do this or did it happen one day. What's the background?

CJT

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Chris
Drive
All good Steve I can only imagine how busy you are.
So I am getting the car back from him this afternoon to have a good look at it myself. Maybe try some TCU's once I can get to mine to see which it is.
Ill have a look if there is any signal to the reverse lights.. and go from there.

This problem came on suddenly.. like in the space of one day.
First of all it wasn't going into "manual" mode and shifting, it would just stay in drive.
And then it would go in to drive, but whilst driving along, it would drop itself out of drive (showing no lights on the dash)
Then finally it just wouldn't go in to drive at all (reverse still works completely fine).

The progression of the problem makes me think something electrical was slowly burning out or something like that....

CJT

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Chris
Drive
SOLVED THE PROBLEM!

So after getting the car home and having a good look at it, it seems that he didnt even touch a spanner on it. He did however go to allllllllll the trouble of getting a new inhibitor switch from the dealership which he also said did not solve the problem.
BUT, after I plugged it in and tested it out.. it solved ALL of the problems! So now the car is back operational again :)

Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom!

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Glad it's solved but you must be kidding that it was that simple and they didn't fix it!!!! At least it was a cheap and easy fix I guess.

CJT

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Chris
Drive
Glad it's solved but you must be kidding that it was that simple and they didn't fix it!!!! At least it was a cheap and easy fix I guess.
You're exactly right... bittersweet. PLUS it was the first thing he said he did 4 months ago... he even left the brand new part in the glove box (never fitted of course) haha

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Clearly you'll never use him or recommend him to anyone

Top Bottom