Discarded cars in Japan

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Mike, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Mike

Mike Guest

God, I swear you could easily make a business out of picking up these "junk" cars from the side of the road, repairing them, then exporting them to places like Australia!

The gold S13 and the R32 sitting next it both look pretty good (excluding the bonnet of the R32, which makes me think the engine blew up), but of course who knows what the state of their interiors and running gear is like. Still, sure is a shame to see them die that way! The S13 looks gorgeous, frankly.

Nice AE86 there too.

http://www.7tune.com/?p=73

And this article here explains a little more about junk cars in Japan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jmo

jmo Guest

The 86 would still be worth a bit unless it is fully rusted underneath

the price those things go for is crazy

I remember seeing in HPI mag once a Demo car for a Japanese workshop, just sitting in a junk yard, rusting away :(

3. snickells

snickells I was driving a VR4 when your mum was still hot Lifetime Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Drive:
    Prado 4x4
    I don't think I'd bother with the car, just strip decent components and ship them back for sale.

4. bogan bob

bogan bob 1 AYC Bar

First Name:
    Dion
    Drive:
    '15 Amarok
    That s13 does look good but u cant see the problems underneath.....

If they are post 88 cars that have been accident repaired, then they cant be imported as cars, need to chop 'em up

5. J-B

J-B Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    Jarrad
    Drive:
    EVO VII GSR
    you should still be able to make some money on just the decent parts from the cars i would think.

6. This is no where near as common as it used to be now that there are recycling taxes on cars, and also in the last 5 years or so the Japanese attitude towards second hand things (cars, parts) has changed a lot. The Japanese used to not be interested at all in things that were second hand (parts used to be mind bogglingly cheap on Yahoo) but now they've realised they can be just as good or still have value.

I have a hard time believing that AE86 was discarded, ANY AE86 is worth good money these days, even ones so rusted they are undriveable will still fetch tens of thousands of yen.

7. Mike

Mike Guest

Send your dude out to find it ;)

8. I should clarify, any AE86 gets good money, I don't necessarily think they're worth it. Yes they have old-skool charm and there's something tough about a nicely modded Panda Trueno, but the prices are just beyond sanity.... in a different universe they'd be given away for $500 were it not for a certain cartoon.

9. jmo

jmo Guest

I would love a 86 at a sane price, but i am not willing to pay the same amount or more then i did on the legnum on a car that has a god ugly interior, and is slower, charm is good, but it don't pay tha bills

10. While I was in Japan I visted Ebish Circuit there were about 30 cars sitting there that the owners had abanadoned to them blowing up, damaged or just lost interest in drifting and the owner couldn't be bothered taking them home.

11. BuzzPuppy

BuzzPuppy OZVR4 Ambassador Lifetime Member

First Name:
    Gavin
    Drive:
    レグナム Super VR-4
    Right, we need a container, a SHITELOAD of bubblewrap and some tools.

Oh, and a month long visa. Who's with me??? :D

12. drifter_x

drifter_x Guest

Hang on, just going to raid the mailroom now.. assume that we now have bubblewrap covered...