DIY ATF fluids change.?

tiiimmyz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Tim
Drive
1996 Galant VR-4
Since I don't really have time to take my car to shop to get it done, I might have to do it myself. I saw on some thread how the car need 9L and fluids need to go into torque converter or something. Is doing it on vr4 similar to normal car? Drain fluid, throw in fluid, start the car... Etc. would be great if someone can help me out with this as I don't really want to damage my tranny.
Thanks Heap.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
best to get more than 9L :) better to have extra than not enough.. same procedure as any other car.. but instead of starting the car and leaving it on..

1. drain the fluid into a clean drain pan.. that way you see any debris.. if any.. and hope that there's none
2. replace filter (if there's 1)
3. disconnect the return hose from the radiator's ATF cooler.. and attach an extra hose in there..(8mm I think) and point it to the drain pan..
4. fill the tranny with fresh ATF SPIII til full..
5. start the car for 2-3 seconds then turn off..
6. refill oil with new ATF SPIII... repeat step 4 & 5 until new oil does comes out of the hose.

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
I believe it's quite touchy about the procedure used, have a translation somewhere, will find it later.. Basically it's the Same procedure as awd magnas but with a filter change if it has external filter and different fluid amounts going through.. From memory you need to pump out some fluid through the cooler hoses, drain fluid from the case, refill, pump more, refill, pump more refill.etc till it's pumping fresh fluid then make sure you have the correct fluid level.. I'll find the actual procedure translation for you..

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
OK, found the guide, have attached it here. Also attached the original Japanese VR4 manual pages that are relevant so you can compare them to double check it is right.

NOTE: While I believe it is accurate use it at your own risk, I have included the relevant pages from the Japanese manual so you can compare the two and check the translation is good if you wish.

Note 2: my car doesn't have a filter so I cut that part from the manual, but the filter is installed at step 5 (i.e. after draining about 5.5l) using this procedure:

(google translated)

Replacing the oil filter 1-3
Using (1) the special tool (MB991610), outside and remove the oil filter
To.

clean the mounting surface (2) transmission case side.

To be coated with a small amount of ATF to O-ring the entire circumference of the oil filter (3) new
That.
Using (4) the special tool (MB991610), and install the oil filter
That.
Remarks
Tightening torque 12 Nm {1.2 kgfm}

basically exactly the same as doing the engine oil filter!

Frenche

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4
1988 Mazda MX-6 Turbo
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
Unless it's stuck on like mine was, we spent over an hour trying to get the damn thing off, ended up taking the battery and tray out, airbox out, intercooler hose out and moving some wiring around before we finally got the thing off. We made sure to lube up the new one so next time it's (hopefully) a bit easier

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Hey, considering doing this soon, I've looked at the clubVR4 guide but just have a few questions:

Do people on here tend to use a flush additive like "Lubeguard Transmission Flush (optional)" mentioned on clubVR4?

How do you gauge how much ATF you need to add to the sump, considering the fresh stuff wouldn't be hot, do you just try to put in the same amount as what comes out?

Does it make much of a difference if you replace the external filter last or right after draining the sump? (I've seen what happens with the ECU and Trans unit after a battery reset and would rather be able to see the effect of the flush immediately rather than re-teaching it first)

Thanks

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
you keep topping up and flushing til new oil comes out of that hose :)

when you've re-connected that hose back to the transmission's oil line. you then let it warm up.. once warm you check the oil level..

please ensure that you do this on a flat surface..

about the Lubeguard.. no idea.. never used them for A/T

Top Bottom