AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Gents,

I've read elsewhere that anywhere from 25-35% drivetrain loss is typical for AWD vehicles.

Does anyone have any specific VR4 experience here that can confirm ~30% is also true for the VR4 platform ?

Cheers,
Chris

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
If they really do have 206KW at the flywheel stock, then between 30 and 35% would be about right (http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?13411-A-few-tuning-results). I'm not sure that you would ever know for sure unless you found an engine dyno and put your motor on it to compare the figures to a wheel dyno.

EDIT: I can't imagine that anyone here would have had their engine on an engine dyno.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
It would be about that. A healthy stock MANUAL VR4 reads say 135atw on a mainline, hell lets call it 145 for a really good one, that'd be 70% of 206....

I also know that if you put a stock stagea on the dyno in awd it reads about 135, run it as rear and goes up to 155-160....

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Thanks for confirming gents.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
The commonly used figures are as follows (and I use them in my Car Calculator):
- AWD 16% loss.
- FWD 10% loss.
- RWD 12% loss.

That means our cars should get about 163.04 kw at the wheels. Obviously that's not the case. I think the 206kw figure is misleading and is a generic figure used for most Japanese performance cars.

Edit: Sorry, forgot some of the forumula. Check below.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Commonly used figures- from where? Never seen figures that low before.
It was a gentlemans agreement between government and manufacturers not to exceed the the 280hp figure. Towards the end of the 90's the hp cap was largely ignored.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Sorry, I forgot a bit of the forumula.

It's the above figures, then minus 10kws.

- AWD = (power - 16%) - 10.
- FWD = (power - 10%) - 10.
- RWD = (power - 12%) - 10.

The only true way to know for sure is to get someone to dyno a stock engine at the fly.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
That would mean that a very good manual would only be producing 185KW at the flywheel (145 AWKW), and the average VR4 would be down around 165-170. I hope that isn't correct

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Don't forget, you're all assuming that our 10+ year old cars are still producing 206kw at the engine today ...

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
a good one will, stock 206kw evos make similar numbers, losses on other manual awds are similar as well.

When they were new, they claimed a flat 14 from a VR4. I tuned one that made 180atw and it ran a 13.2. That's a lot more power, I'm sticking with the 145....

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Club VR-4 has used the following

Drive train loss = 24%
Torque converter loss = 7%

To calculate engine hp = whp / 0.76. If auto, whp / 0.76 / 0.93

The figures can be debated until the cows come home so there is little point arguing what it should be, best to just use the figures which have been "standardised" so at least you have some ability to make comparisons.

Better is to just give wheel (or hub) figures.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Even tyres have friction loss, a third gear pull will make more than a fourth gear one....

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Just fixed a number below, became obvious when I calculated having over 2000HP lol

Club VR-4 has used the following

Drive train loss = 24%
Torque converter loss = 7%

To calculate engine hp = whp / 0.76. If auto, whp / 0.76 / 0.93

The figures can be debated until the cows come home so there is little point arguing what it should be, best to just use the figures which have been "standardised" so at least you have some ability to make comparisons.

Better is to just give wheel (or hub) figures.

Top Bottom