Ebay knock off or genuine HKS?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Got this blow off valve off ebay for $70 and was expecting it to just be a chinese HKS copy, but it looks like it could be the real thing? what do you guys think...

DSCF4090.jpg

DSCF4091.jpg

DSCF4092.jpg

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
From what I have read, some points to notice are;

-not all bolts around the exterior actually are bolts. Rather plastic molds.
-inside diaphragm appears like plastic instead of the silicone/rubber feel.
-inside diaphragm is purple on the real deal / some fakes are a lighter shade
-If there is excessive amounts of "chatter" then its fake, the real SSQV has a bypass valve to let small levels of air out even if they are not enough to open the primary release.

Hope this helps!

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Looks a lot like mine and mine was said to be legit. Not much help I'm sorry, I know the new generation HKS SSQV's have a holographic sticker on them.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Same as what i bought, mine costa bit more but still don't know if mine was genuine either, so i'm no help

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Did you guys get the flange adapter with it? Also can someone provide links to the seller they used please ?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
HKS_SSQV_BLACK.jpg

SSQV_Black.jpg

looks legit,

you'll tell when you put it in as the ssqv is a twin chamber bov and cant not be wound up. the increasing boost pressure clamps the second one shut until the first fires, once the first chamber opens, and second then begins to open and close (the flutter)

my mate (s15 owner) bought a copy, it lasted a month. lets hope yours is legit and you just saved $330 :)

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
oh well if it is a copy then they have done well, cause I cant find anything on it to indicate its not legit. I was ordering a silver one at first but they ran out of stock and offered to sell me the black one, I said yeah whatever as long as the price is the same. Went and had a look at their ebay shop after that and the only black ones they had listed were genuine HKS for around $300.

Anyway this is who I got it off, don't know if the thing works yet so don't take this as a recommendation for the seller
http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Hanzo-Racing__W0QQ_armrsZ1

does not seem to have a screw to adjust it? the oring and cir clip for fitting the flange were missing so hopefully I can find some the right size and autobahn

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Looks exactly like my genuine one I bought for $280. Hope it works out well, quite a saving!

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Looks legit to me but I have never seen one go that cheap!

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
does not seem to have a screw to adjust it?

you cant adjust them

and yeah, i think yours is a knock off for $70....or, you bought the knock off and they sent you a legit one, lol douches, your win, their loss

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Check the HKS site and see if they have pics of the legit vs the fake. Sard and Greddy do this and point out what to look for to tell if it's a fake or not.

wraith73

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
Mitsubishi Colt, Patrol, Pulsar Q
A current listing for the silver HKS one quotes... "Made of durable high quality aluminium, no one will notice the difference from the HKS unit". Sounds like a knock off

Is $70 cheap for a knock off? I mean, do they still do the job properly, or will they cause the car to explode (American style)? Not everyone can afford a full price one, so is this a viable alternative for us poor people?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
itll work for a few minths atleast...then itll probably break

just buy evo8mR one and keep it plumback

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Of course it's a knock off for that price. Do you really think someone would be selling one for that much under retail?

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Even if it was "hot" they would still sell them @ full price... But there is always the chance that they messed up and posted the real black one... human error is always a factor.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
Even if it was "hot" they would still sell them @ full price... But there is always the chance that they messed up and posted the real black one... human error is always a factor.

thats my bet

meant to grab a knock off off the shelf, but grabbed a legit limited ed black one

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I doubt it is legit, it just blew me away the lengths they have taken to make it look like the real thing. The only thing that makes me think twice is, they dont have black fake ones listed, only silver, but they do have real black ones listed.

Anyway as to whether its any good or not, I should have it fitted this afternoon so Ill let ya's know. It was $70 delivered with flange and everything, so if it falls apart and I have to put my plastic one back on I wont of lost much.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
I doubt it is legit, it just blew me away the lengths they have taken to make it look like the real thing. The only thing that makes me think twice is, they dont have black fake ones listed, only silver, but they do have real black ones listed.

Anyway as to whether its any good or not, I should have it fitted this afternoon so Ill let ya's know. It was $70 delivered with flange and everything, so if it falls apart and I have to put my plastic one back on I wont of lost much.

And why not for $70... bit of a laugh at the very least. Let us know how it sounds.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
I have contacted the ebay seller in Malaysia that sells these BOV for $70 and this is what he wrote back.

Hi, ebayer.

Yes, it is genuine HKS BOV

We can sell at this price because we are sole
distributor in Malaysia and we bought it in a bulk
(few containers).

Thanks[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- ultrasavecost[/FONT]

Top Bottom