Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
OK guys,
A few of us have posted in various threads about re-mapping so I thought it was time to make a dedicated thread rather than spam others.

From reading ClubVR4 about remaps, where ECU Flash is at etc, and a bunch of us talking to local tuners, here is the summary I have so far:

1) NO Its not possible YET

2) The ECU's found in the legnums are from two families of processor (as posted by Valmes on CVR4)
1. From start until mid 1996г. - processor MH7201FS(MR16Core) - stock ecu image ЕМ0005;
2. Mid 1996-1997 г. - processor MH7202(H8/500Core) - stock ecu image and re-tunned one ЕМ2005;
3. 1997 onwards - processor MH7202(H8/500Core) - stock ecu image ЕМ2428.

3) ECU Flash has the capability of reading the ROM from the H8/500 Core ECU's from version 1.31 onwards, but NOT reflash capability (The H8 Core MCU is the same as used on the Evo V & VI's)

4) The programECUEdit has the ability to edit the ROM, and definition files (.xml) are available from CVR4, as are edited maps as posted by Valmes

I have a tuner here in SA who is looking into it for me who has the capability to re-map EVO V's and VI's. He uses a Mitsubishi propietry unit which he was given by Mitsubishi Japan when he worked Mitsi Aus in the 90's in the Magna development area. He has 1 of only 2 units in Australia, and Mitsubishi have the other. We tried reading the ROM on my car, however it wouldnt work so I suspect my car has the MH7201 core :( but I have to get the ECU out to find out (which I havent had time to do)

So, anyone with any more info please add it to the thread. :eek:

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
OK I had an offer of a spare ECU Sydo has to try out the re-mapping, BUT unfortanately it's the MH7201 processor, so it was no use to the tuner. IF anyone else has a spare ECU with the MH7202 processor, can I please get hold of it/borrow it to see if we can re-flash it?
Thanks!!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Kenneth, I saw that post on CVR4, but didnt put it above. is the MH7203 as used in the evo VIIs then? Have you tried any re-flashing of that ECU?

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Kenneth, I saw that post on CVR4, but didnt put it above. is the MH7203 as used in the evo VIIs then? Have you tried any re-flashing of that ECU?

I haven't been able to download the processor image yet. I think there is a fault with my cable, so again not sure if it has anything to do with the processor. I'll need to find out from someone who can confirm they are able to read their processor image first. My pre-facelift ECU is from a 1996 so not sure if that is MH702 or not, I could look I guess...

The MH703 is still H8/500 Core I think.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Kenneth - is the lid of the ECU screwed on or riveted? I intend to take the cover off mine, just trying to find out what i'm in for (pre-facelift steel cover)

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Kenneth - is the lid of the ECU screwed on or riveted? I intend to take the cover off mine, just trying to find out what i'm in for (pre-facelift steel cover)

Pre-facelift is screwed. Facelift is plastic and can be un-clipped with a small flat head screwdriver

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
With 260bhp in the Series 1 PFL autos, I feel screwed too :)

I should check mine out sometime and contribute better to this thread.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
my pre-facelift is MH7201, so unfortunately that is of no use to you.

I am not keen to give up the 2002 ECU as it is what I am going to use in the Galant.

I might check some day and see what is in the 2001 Legnum as it is possible that is a MH7202.

Though in saying that, if it was a MH7203 it might explain why the ECUFlash cable doesn't work on any of my ECUs :p

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
That's fair enough Kenneth - Really just hoping someone had a pre-facelift MH7202 they don't want. The post by Valmes that the MH7202 was evident from mid 96 onwards doesn't seem to align with the photo's of your 97 ECU, and the fact I couldnt communicate with my ECU in my 97 Legnum seems to coincide with this too.... Maybe its only the early facelifts(98-00) had the MH7202?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
While I totally side-track the thread:

With ECU's if you get a full replacement computer will you lose the AYC solenoid activation stuff etc? I know how a piggy back works, but the whole hog replacement ECU's are supposed to be for serious tuning or something are they not?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
AYC has its own ECU, located to the left of the Glovebox - so AYC will still work. Same with the Auto - it has its own ECU, so you can have full aftermarket ECU with any Legnum really (just like Brad with his Autronic)

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
AYC has its own ECU, located to the left of the Glovebox - so AYC will still work. Same with the Auto - it has its own ECU, so you can have full aftermarket ECU with any Legnum really (just like Brad with his Autronic)

So when you use evoscan to trigger the AYC stuff for servicing that goes through a 2ndary ECU? That's specifically what I was referring to, I thought evoscan was used to do another couple of service related things which where ECU triggered also?

See, I have no idea.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
The diagnostic port which EvoScan (and the like) connect to allows you to talk to each ECU separately as they are each connected to the diagnostic port on different pins. When opening EvoScan you have to tell it which ECU you want to connect to and it will select the path required accordingly

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Just ran up the lastest version of EcuFlash and attached to my bench harness... still nothing :(

Perhaps one of the NZ people would let me use there MH7202 ECU.

Need to find someone who has actually successfully downloaded their ecu image to ensure it isn't my cable too.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Well got my ECU out today, and unfortunately its a MH7201FS(MR16Core) chip - so no remapping for me :(
I will try to get hold of a MH7202 ECU so I can get it down to steve to see what he can do.
Fingers crossed I can find a facelift ECU on Yahoo Japan or something for a reasonable price.

Top Bottom