ECU Upgrade discussion

G

Unregistered
Not that many people would be at the stage where they are ready to begin modding their VR4's as yet, but I think it's worth throwing ideas around! (Yes, you've thought about it haven't you.. :p )

Anybody planning on either ditching the factory ecu for an full aftermarket unit or going with a piggy back ecu (HKS F-Con, Greddy E-manage etc)?

What options are available for our cars in Australia given that there would be no "plug in" support for things like the Wolf ecu's..?

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Well I'm hoping to regain the missing 15kw on my '96 tiptronic. Not too sure sure how to go about it, but I'm assuming it 'may' have something to do with the ECU?

G

Unregistered
You can pick up E-manages for good prices, it is just hard to find someone who is good at tuning them. I hope not to get that extreme with my car, but you never know

G

Unregistered
When I had an R33 Skyline, Dr.Drift was tuning e-manages and was looking at plug in looms etc for Silva's and Skylines.. I'll check if he persisted with them.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Hmmm Scott, this may be definitely worthwhile especially for us tiptronic PFL pilots. Who knows how heavy the Super VR-4 kit is? :D

(oh God, I'm talking VR-4 jargon and I don't even OWN one yet *laughs*)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The 20hp is loss is just a slightly lower amount of boost, it is easy to put up the boost and regain all of that and more.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Given the engine strengthening that was done for the Ralliart specs I suspect these can handle a great deal more than the standard 8 pounds boost... Just be aware that higher boost usually equals MUCH shorter engine life, kids!

Has anyone seen any cars with dynamic boost ranges with the requisite ECU remapping for on-the-fly changes while running? I've seen quite a few Skylines and Supras with aftermarket ECUs that can up the boost and access tuned ECU maps within about 30 seconds of a button press... Would love to do the 206kw to 250kw jump on demand, but leave it (close to) stock most of the time...

G

Unregistered
Haltech just relesaed there Miniceptor unit which is perfect for these cars. 20% fuel / igni timing built into it, boost control built into it, boost limiter clamping available (So we can go over factory specs), built in shift light and aux rpm limiter, air tempature / bosot compensation maps as well.

And all for only retail price of $725.00 - ad I know they will work 100% with the galant. Would be perfect for most people utilising stock turbos with exhaust, intercooler upgrade. Anything larger than that and you should be using a full ems system anyway even if only partially piggy backed.

This unit has duel mapping built into it so yes, press a switch, go to higher boost level and higher tuning level as well which works really nicely or you can hook in an external Trim Module to be able to tweak the boost level higher/lower (To preset levels) whilst driving.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Just Wondering If anybody has had an experiences with Greddy Emanage - Any Good for Legnum?

Pro's - Con's Etc.

Cheers,
Brent

G

Unregistered
The emanage works well if you are only doing minor tweaks to the car Ie basically say an auto model with stock turbo's and just want to clean the tune up. Antying more major than that and it starts getting limited on the tuning.

The main reason is you don't have enough tuning points so you have to start compromising on the tune to make it safe. The more tuning required, the more compromising, the more torque / hp you lose off 100% throttle which is wher eyou drive 99% of the time

G

Unregistered
If your semi computer literate and handy eletronically, this is a very easy installation. But to be safe, until someone has actually 100% done one to confirm all the wiring, best to go to a haltech dealer who has the experience to sort it out properly.

If there is anyone in perth who wants to be a test guinie pig, I am happy to provide free labour on install, if they pay for the unit and dyno tuning time. That way I can confirm fitment and provide a before and after dyno tune result, as well as be able to do up a fitting diagram for eveyrone else and provide a baseline pre tune for everyone as well.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I'd take that offer if it was me, you're getting yourself a good deal there!

G

Unregistered
The emanage works well if you are only doing minor tweaks to the car Ie basically say an auto model with stock turbo's and just want to clean the tune up. Antying more major than that and it starts getting limited on the tuning.

The main reason is you don't have enough tuning points so you have to start compromising on the tune to make it safe. The more tuning required, the more compromising, the more torque / hp you lose off 100% throttle which is wher eyou drive 99% of the time

Haha... the irony is... I have made up my mind on getting my first e-manage (Blue at that time) after reading about twin turbo Magna on your site. Thanks btw - I made a right choice! I think it was like 3-4 years ago? Rising Rate AFPR - also got the idea from your site, back then it sounded quite good...

Now I am using an e-manage Ultimate on my car and I would say I am satisfied with how it performs and what it can do...

Аlthough I've long dumped the idea of using RRAFPR, since it proved to be pain in one place to tune right and is an unnecessary strain on your fuel pump(s) setup. Just not worth it.

I am puzzled however, why are you advocating against an e-manage in such a way? Can you pinpoint where is it "lacking" in comparison to the new Haltech Interceptor unit?

Please shed some light on this, since there are eMU equiped cars that run pretty decent HP and 1/4 numbers... with setup far from "minor tweaks to the car Ie basically say an auto model with stock turbo's". Are there any Haltech interceptor cars that did some numbers already? I am not saying it's bad in any way... I just fail to see any "benefits" you are speaking of... On the contrary I was thinking the eMU, MAP2 and Haltech Interceptor all have similar features and functionality... and as far as the piggy backs go - those are the best choices out there, just a matter of personal preference...

PS: Hope my engrish is not hurting anyone’s ears :)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I was in contact with Haltech a few weeks back and they have told me that they have a plug in loom for the VR4 for the E8 series of ECU's. Depending on what I get up to...I may even go the E8/E11v2 path myself. But I'll probably just go an interceptor and concentrate on redoing the pipework in the engine bay.

G

Unregistered
I've looked over the interceptor software... quick questions...

No direct control over injectors?????? :(
Limited I/O (analog and digital) capability?
Same 16x16 maps as in EMU (but a shorter list of them too)?
Where is the speed/fuel adj map?
Where is Knock logging?
Where is Launch Control/Flatshift feature?
I can't get this thing to move my Rev limit?
Auto A/F tunning?
I can't adjust fueling by cyl?
No cold start ign and fuel correction (by w.t. not by IAT)?
Ohh... and I can't get it to run of the MAP on a MAF equiped car (VR-4) if I so desire?
Can I change my 6a13 MAF over to 6g72TT easily?

Ohh... What's wrong with it? Same price at 1/2 the features? :D
Hell, at least it's as simple as SAFC...

I think I am keeping my eMU to be able to make those "minor tweaks"... :D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Valmes - don't you ever worry about your English, it is truely outstanding.

Top Bottom