Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Hey Guys,

I thought I’d start this thread as a bit of a brain dump of what I’ve been working on for the last few years with a big help from Steve - TME_Steve & Kenneth. Basically, I got sick of seeing the same crap VR4 EcuFlash definitions, so I’ve gone to the effort of disassembling the VR4 ROM.

First and foremost - my disassembly is very much based on assumption. It's by no means accurate - but I’m hoping with the help of the greater VR4 community, I can get my disassembly more accurate, which in turn means more comprehensive definitions.

What I present to the VR4 community is my version of definitions (work that I’ve done so far). I took the current version of definitions that are going around, cleaned it up, and then corrected/confirmed them with the actual disassembly. I'm hoping for feedback in this thread (names, whether tables are working), and I will correct the definitions and republish the new version so at any point everyone can access the latest versions. I will also post my findings in this thread, as I’ve found a lot of little things that might be handy for everyone (what the various MUT locations are - plus an EvoScan XML file for you to have fun with, what unused Pins on the ECU can be used as input/outputs)

I know there has already been a lot of work, and I’ve taken parts of what’s already been done. So it's difficult to give credit to everyone that has worked on this already. Having said that, a few people that I’d like to credit so far:
  • Steve (TME_Steve) - His wealth of information has been invaluable to know what’s going on
  • Kenneth - Bits and pieces that Kenneth has given me has helped me a little bit to disassemble.
  • Ceddy – Info he’s posted on his Evo work has also helped with understanding disassembly.
  • WytWun - his work on Magna definitions has helped answer some questions relating to unknown tables
  • kc427 - provided some insights to various tables, such as fan control
  • GLen20 - picked up an error with incorrect load scaling applied to tables/axis.
This has taken years to get to this state. It's a very time consuming process. I ask in return to give credit where credit is due. If you find what I post useful, a donation of sorts will help/motivate me to spend time on it. I've come to the point of giving up a few times but due to the love of giving something to the community has kept me going.

Enjoy.

See Github for latest defs: https://github.com/OZVR4/ecuflash-defs

Cheers,
Bill

PS. By using these definitions and information, I accept no responsibility for any damage (blown motor, bricked ecu, death/injury, etc) or costs incurred (fines, defects, void insurance, cost for repairs, etc) in relation to this definitions. They are provided as-is, and by downloading and using them, you are accepting all responsibility.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Well done so far Bill, I for one know how much time this all takes!

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Good work BCX...

I'd be curious to know if you disassemble either (a) lean spool (as already mentioned) or (b) what the 2 hi octane maps do.. as far as I can see.. no one has sussed that out yet.

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
It seems "Hi Octane" is simply "normal", ie, not the low octane maps.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
It seems "Hi Octane" is simply "normal", ie, not the low octane maps.

Yeah but there's 2 of each, that's what im curious about.

Hi Octane #1, Hi Octane #2, Lo Octane #1, Lo Octane #2.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Auto vs manual as far as I know, same for the 2 boost tables, bill can probably confirm this

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Yeah but there's 2 of each, that's what im curious about.

Hi Octane #1, Hi Octane #2, Lo Octane #1, Lo Octane #2.

For Fuel Maps, it's got something to do with the inhibitor switch... i'll look at the code again and confirm.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Is there a new thread or has this stopped progress?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Defining got boring, adding features is more fun so see the bcx mods thread

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Is there a new thread or has this stopped progress?

Is there something in particular you're after? I can probably define it. There's a couple more maps I found, nothing of use to most people though.

As Steve said, came more fun to mod :) Working on Flex as I type...

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
All good. Just trying to understand a bit more through research. Trying to get my head around the tuning side. :)

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
#1 is used when A/C is turned on
#2 is used when A/C is turned off

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Really? And only for fuel and ignition tables i assume? Boost tables are different rom ids eg auto with tcl vs manual

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Some smaller tables like for idle take into consideration a/c

But for the main tables, they are based off the Rom config ie em2005 vs em2004

Value at 0x21c determines the Rom configuration

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
Really? And only for fuel and ignition tables i assume? Boost tables are different rom ids eg auto with tcl vs manual

I didn't know the assembly. So i only changed one ignition table table and then used Evoscan to read the ignition with A/C on and off, and finally figured this out. Please, can anyone do the same and double check it's correct? Hope this can help.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Following with interest, always thought there was more to the air con story...

In a typical tuned vr4 how would hi octane #1 differ from #2

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Make them both the same is the easiest.

You could work out what table your actually using by your Rom config... But easier to make both the same.

With the A/C stuff, there are plenty of additional tables to trim and compensate for timing etc

the ign table routine has about 4-5 other tables that are looked up and modify the value that was looked up from the ign table.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
That's what i thought. @AKKO we make both tables the same

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
That's what i thought. @AKKO we make both tables the same

Just coming back to this as getting closer to winter means A/c off more often than not... Its not your tuning I'm worried about as you weren't the last to touch mine :-(

Runs better with A/c off as you'd expect but perhaps more so than I'd like...

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
I'm not convinced it is ac the determines the tables though. You just need to book a train lol

Top Bottom