BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
I just received a MD362895 from another member. The unit needs to be reflashed since it was tuned for a single turbo. Do I reflash with vr4_AT_base.xml to bring the ECU to original settings?
The XML definitions just give you the ability to view the ROM. They don't contain any map values or the code the ECU executes to make the motor tick over. XML for ECUFlash purely describes where in the ROM the values are and displays them in something human readable.

Also does 23810003.xml from Github already tuned or needs tuning once flashed?
2003001x (EM2004/EM2005) ROM is probably a closer match to the 7201 rom. Will see I can dig up a rom that might be suitable.

I have ran data logs but not sure what I am really looking for.
You wont be able to tune just from the logs you've provided, you really need a external wideband that is logging to ensure fueling is correct/safe/correlates to fuel map so can adjust cells in fuel map and a way of measuring if you are successful that is repeatable (eg. dyno) to adjust all parameters like fuel, timing, wgdc, etc

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 COTY
2022 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
1999 Honda Civic EX
I was able to find the EM2005 Rom. Do I select any of these boxes for the maps or just leave them alone to re-flash? I also noticed that the Case ID doesn't match my ECU. I purchased the MD362895. I have an Auto with AYC and TCL. According to my case ID I should use ROM EM2428 but EM2428 is for non-TCL.

ecuflash.PNG

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
The definitions you're using dont appear to be the ones I've uploaded. If the definitions have all the tables you're after then no problems.

Ticking the box just displays the table so can see/edit. Pressing flash will upload the whole ROM regardless of what's ticked.

You need to open the ECU case and check if the board has a Hitachi branded processor, or if it's a MH7202 or MH7203 before you reflash otherwise potential to brick the ECU.

If you're coming from an 7201, it will be an EM0004/0005, and an EM2004/2005 is the most suitable. I'm going to assume its an EM0005 as you have TCL so an EM2005 would be your best bet to keep TCL, etc systems happy.

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
The definitions you're using dont appear to be the ones I've uploaded. If the definitions have all the tables you're after then no problems.

Ticking the box just displays the table so can see/edit. Pressing flash will upload the whole ROM regardless of what's ticked.

You need to open the ECU case and check if the board has a Hitachi branded processor, or if it's a MH7202 or MH7203 before you reflash otherwise potential to brick the ECU.

If you're coming from an 7201, it will be an EM0004/0005, and an EM2004/2005 is the most suitable. I'm going to assume its an EM0005 as you have TCL so an EM2005 would be your best bet to keep TCL, etc systems happy.
EM2005 still support the AYC system? I didn't see the ones that you uploaded. I pulled these from club VR4 from a user called Foxdie.

PXL_20221109_004909363.jpg

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Yep.

Your original ECU would have part number MD340289. MD340289 was available as a metal case ECU (7201) or plastic cased (7202/7203)

MD340289 metal case would be running EM0005, plastic cased runs EM2005. ROM you found will be suitable.

Note: ROM you found is software rev 11, the latest is 13. Generally the code is somewhat the same between all the revs, the default values are different, but I'd say (my gut feel), a rev 10 or 11 would be even closer to values found in 7201 ROMs. So give that ROM a try.

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
Silly question, is the EM2005rev11 rom stock settings? Would I benefit using a Kenneth 1.3 rom?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Hard to say, need to grab a known stock rom and compare tables with Ecuflash or use hexeditor.

No benefit going to a KSMods unless you want the features he's written.

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
Hard to say, need to grab a known stock rom and compare tables with Ecuflash or use hexeditor.

No benefit going to a KSMods unless you want the features he's written.
With the ROM I got from Foxdie on Clubvr4, can I place that rom in the ECU File directory and your definition file into the metadata directory? The only file I have from Foxdie is the .hex file but no .xml

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Yep.

In the metadata folder, delete the default existing legnum/galant defs and drop the newer ones in a folder. Youll need all the files that are on GitHub.

Then open ecuflash and open the rom.

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
Yep.

In the metadata folder, delete the default existing legnum/galant defs and drop the newer ones in a folder. Youll need all the files that are on GitHub.

I'm reviewing Merlins EcuFlash Guide and notice the boost limits section. Does your definition XML adjust these or are they at stock setting?

Can I change the speed limit from 184kph to 220kph without fuel issues?

Capture.PNG

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
I think I am fair in saying that any of the XML's do not change what's already in the car.
If you connect via your Tatrix cable and read your ROM and then compared it to that "Default VR-4 7202 Auto" ROM, (if your car is stock), I believe you'll find a lot of the values matching.

I'm reviewing Merlins EcuFlash Guide and notice the boost limits section. Does your definition XML adjust these or are they at stock setting?
Those values you have shown for Boost Cut look to me to be about the stock Load (ie boost) values. They are a safety net so, of course, I would be very careful about raising any protection settings unless it was understood what you were doing.

What do you mean by fuel issues? AFR at that speed? The fuelling is Load dependent.

A really helpful series of videos:

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
I think I am fair in saying that any of the XML's do not change what's already in the car.
If you connect via your Tatrix cable and read your ROM and then compared it to that "Default VR-4 7202 Auto" ROM, (if your car is stock), I believe you'll find a lot of the values matching.

Those values you have shown for Boost Cut look to me to be about the stock Load (ie boost) values. They are a safety net so, of course, I would be very careful about raising any protection settings unless it was understood what you were doing.

What do you mean by fuel issues? AFR at that speed? The fuelling is Load dependent.

A really helpful series of videos:
Thank you for the video. Yeah I was just wondering if changing the speed would reduce fuel at some point and had to be adjusted but if it's load dependent I don't need to worry.

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
To clarify:

Boost Cut Limit is not the method used to control boost (Re-reading and I think that is what you meant?). Its a protection setting.
If the car exceeds these Load values for the period of [Boost Cut Delay Timer], then the ECU will kill fuel/ignition to the engine to protect it.

To edit the targeted boost values you need; BDEL (Boost Desired something Load I think), WGDC (WasteGate [solenoid] Duty Cycle), Boost Desired Load Adder, Stand on One leg, Face North and Touch the dashboard a certain way :)

I got no idea how to tune these :oops: and would not be game to try without a dyno.

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
I flashed the ecu today, the writing of the flash was a success. But when I started the car no tachometer and after about 10 seconds the car starts to sputter real bad. I have put the 7201 back in and no issues with tach or idle.

Attachments

• flashlog.txt
    46 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
Yep.

I was able to install the rom with no errors, but when I start the car, I have no Tach and then sputters real bad.

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
I flashed the ecu today, the writing of the flash was a success. But when I started the car no tachometer and after about 10 seconds the car starts to sputter real bad. I have put the 7201 back in and no issues with tach or idle.
So the ECU you used is MD362895, black plactic case, right? And what ROM file did you use? Did you uploaded the ROM file you used somewhere or another threads I can find?

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
So the ECU you used is MD362895, black plactic case, right? And what ROM file did you use? Did you uploaded the ROM file you used somewhere or another threads I can find?
Yes the ECU is MD362895. I downloaded the ROM from club VR4 and the definitions from ozvr4

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
I have no access right to view the page. Is the rom for MD362895
This is what was recommended to me, Default VR-4 7202 Auto TCL - EM2005.hex

I currently have a 7201 metal case and purchased the MD362895 from a member on here. He told me the ECU was tuned for a single turbo FTO and needed to be re-flashed. I download the definitions from BCX.

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
This is what was recommended to me, Default VR-4 7202 Auto TCL - EM2005.hex

I currently have a 7201 metal case and purchased the MD362895 from a member on here. He told me the ECU was tuned for a single turbo FTO and needed to be re-flashed. I download the definitions from BCX.
7202 for a 7201?

Top Bottom