Electric flappy mirror switch modes

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Hey guys, with the electric mirror switch, what does the middle position do? Mine does nothing, but I was hoping it'd make the mirrors fold in when the car is turned off.

Cheers :D

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Paul I think up is extend, down is retract, middle is off... Not much more to it than that!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Bugga, I knew the up and down, I was just hoping that the middle would retract on engine off...that'd be cool as.

I wonder how hard it would be to make it do that? Hhhmmm...

G

Unregistered
You could make them retract when the car goes over 150km/h, less drag you see. :ROFLMAO:

I think just stick with the manual switch and use your finger. :)

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
I wonder how hard it would be to make it do that? Hhhmmm...

Not to hard man. All it would take is to re wire the switch with a relay telling the circuit to open unfolded when ignition is on, and to open the folded circuit when ignition is turned off. The actual switch would be fairly useless actually after that mod though, unless you tied in a manual selection too... hmm... I'll have to ponder this one.

You could make them retract when the car goes over 150km/h, less drag you see. :ROFLMAO:

You could pinch the wiring from a GTO's rear spoiler for that function! But then who's gona let you rip that out'a such a nice car?

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I just like the term "flappy mirror"... makes me want to make my mirrors flap when I'm accelerating :D

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

I think just stick with the manual switch and use your finger. :)

I'll use my bloody finger all right :p lol (jokes)

Not to hard man. All it would take is to re wire the switch with a relay telling the circuit to open unfolded when ignition is on, and to open the folded circuit when ignition is turned off. The actual switch would be fairly useless actually after that mod though, unless you tied in a manual selection too... hmm... I'll have to ponder this one.

I think I'll have to get it happening, I want auto flappy mirrors. For no other reason than to just chuckle every time the car turns off.

Then, of course, one day it'll bugger up and the windows will be stuck closed hahah!

Cheers Steve!! :D

G

Unregistered
Whilst u have the dash appart u may as well hook up the headlights to auto turn off as well ...

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Actually, auto flappy mirrors would be cool. I have occasionally forgotten to unflap them until I've driven a few kms!

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
On the missus EVO, if you hit the lock button twice it folds the mirrors in. Folds then back out when done with unlock.

Try the switch in both settings and give it a crack. Prob just get the wondows tho...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Not to hard man. All it would take is to re wire the switch with a relay telling the circuit to open unfolded when ignition is on, and to open the folded circuit when ignition is turned off.
I don't think the mirror folding works unless at least accessory power is engaged, though - if that's right then you'll also need to wire in temporary* constant power or it won't work anyway.

* I say temporary because if you wire in constant power to the wing mirror motor you may either burn the motor out or have a slow leak that will drain your battery. Better to have it on a 30 second timed circuit or something.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
I had another thought, if thats the case why not use a 2 position switch only. Someone said the middle position is for reversing, it supposed to go to another set position that is, lowered to see the gutter.
Just saying.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Middle is the only position that stops powering it open or close, it is necessary.

PHIL069

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Phil
Drive
FTO
The mirror fold switch on the FTO works differently.
The switch always springs back to center position when released.
You touch and release the switch up/down and the mirrors fold/unfold automatically.

Ozyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
2000 Legnum
The middle does nothing apart from remove powee from the motors. The motor switch polarity to work . There is 2 wires for the motors. Both sit dormant as negative and when you click the switch to fold in , 1 wire goes positive. The opposite wire wWil go positive on fold out.
To make it work with ignition you would need 2 relays and a timer . Without the timer you would burn the motors out .

If you have not get an alarm you could get something with 2 programmable timed outputs and set it up on lock and unlock. I would recobmend a viper system.

Top Bottom