Electrical

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Hey guys, got an electrical niggle here...first issue with the car.

There's a 10amp fuse that keeps blowing that seems to knock out the rear right tail light (brake light works), front right parker, the siren for leaving the lights on and the centre consol lights.

When I replaced this 10amp fuse all these worked for about 10 seconds then it blew again. I've checked the wiring around the lights and there's nothing out of place. Can anyone suggest what to look for before I have to take it to an auto elec?

Cheers guys

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Sheet Paul, that sounds like a whole lot of trial-and-error trouble-shooting right there...

What is the description for that fuse? The fact that those components are even associated suggests that you've got some melted insulation and shorted wires between multiple circuits somewhere.

Find the fuses for each of the circuits those components should be in and try popping the fuses out for those. You might find they're on a 15amp circuit or something, so once you take that fuse out you can put your 10amp in and it won't blow. But you'll need to find the damaged wiring, and most importantly what CAUSED it in the first place...

Hopefully we'll eventually get wiring diagrams for these cars organised and then it will be simple to work out ;)

Good luck!!

G

Unregistered
i had my clock shorting and fuses blowing, was easy to fix.. hope its just a loose wire somewhere bud.. i know how annoying these things can be. good luck

G

Unregistered
whats the last electrical thing you messed with?? (wiring wise)

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
check all electrical coonections, battery e.t.c, for corrosion, and if found, clean....corrosion = high resistance in circuits = high heat = higher voltage draw = blown fuse.... hope you find the problem mate...

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I haven't touched anything electrical. Seeing as though my last car went up in smoke from electrical issues I made sure I've not touched a thing since I got it.

I think I'll clean terminals and then I'll just take it to an auto electrician asap.

Cheers guys

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Just another thought...I totally forgot I'm still running the tiny jap battery.

Would anyone think that changing that might fix the problem??

G

Unregistered
Paul it might be worth having a look behind the head unit. It is possible that before the car was sold an aftermarket unit was removed from the vehicle and everything was not put back together as it should.
Best of luck!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Paul undervoltage issues can cause electrical weirdness, especially with computer equipment. While I suspect this isn't the cause of your problem, I recommend it as a worthwhile upgrade to eliminate any possibility :)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I'll get onto both of those ideas this weekend...it does have an aftermarket head unit.

Thanks Graeme and Trev! :D

Top Bottom