Engine and TCL lights on

G

Unregistered
about a week ago, midway through driving normally, the engine and TCL lights came on, and the TCL light was not able to be turned off with the switch.
but after parking the car and coming back an hour later (went shopping :p) it was fine.

now its done it twice in the past week, and today it did it, but then after turning the car off, and back on, they weren't on anymore.

G

Unregistered
wouldn't the battery light come on for those?

the battery is less than a month old too

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
ok, probably alternator then. There is a chance it could be a wiring or sensor issue, but more likely to be the alternator.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
One thing I'm gradually starting to understand (the expensive way) is that Legnum alternators really don't like being jump started. I've now got an Evo 7 with the same problem.

G

Unregistered
hmm.. ok.. i had mine jump started twice about 2-3 weeks ago when the tiny jap battery packed it in..

G

Unregistered
ok, probably alternator then. There is a chance it could be a wiring or sensor issue, but more likely to be the alternator.

battery is holding 12.7V, and the alternator is charging at 14.3V, so neither of those is the problem.

what sensors or wiring could be the issue?

it may be co-incidental, however it only seems to happen when i have turned TCL off to begin with... after a while the engine light will come on, and i cant turn TCL back on

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Guys,

Sounds more like the system is throwing a fault code.
I would suggest checking for this.

Check the thread where i was talking about my TCL system. Sounds a bit like some of the problems I was having.

Regards
Gavin

G

Unregistered
Hey guys, ok first up mine is doing the same thing as well, driving normally and them BAM TCL and engine light come on.
I doubt its the Alternator as i have just had mine re-built 3 weeks ago (touchwood)
I tend to believe its a wiring or sensor issue, as i havent had any loss of performance or notice the car driving any different when it happens,
i put it down to Gremlins in the wiring...
lol
Cory

happyvr4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charandeep
Drive
Mitsubishi legnum VR4
I have had the same problem when I did my engine work. If you accelarate heavily enough so as to get the TCL to work, the light used to come on and so did the engine light.

It is usually caused if there is a leak in the vaccum pipes going to the white cylinder(left side firewall) from the throttle/plenum assy. There are also 2 solenoids on the firewall that have vaccum pipes going to them that should be checked. The white cylinder holds vaccum even when there is no vaccum in the plenum due to WOT or boost conditions. That vaccum is then sent by a solenoid to the vaccum diaphram which closes the throttle slightly so as to reduce power and maintain traction.

In my case one of the pipes going to the white cylinder had a leak. Just had to snip the pipe slightly and re-attach.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
I have just had the same problem occur.....I have just now put into the shop for Scanning but I will now call them and see about the hoses..

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Could this be from a Boost Controller or Boost gauge leak or factory BOV leak?

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
I have had the same problem when I did my engine work. If you accelarate heavily enough so as to get the TCL to work, the light used to come on and so did the engine light.

It is usually caused if there is a leak in the vaccum pipes going to the white cylinder(left side firewall) from the throttle/plenum assy. There are also 2 solenoids on the firewall that have vaccum pipes going to them that should be checked. The white cylinder holds vaccum even when there is no vaccum in the plenum due to WOT or boost conditions. That vaccum is then sent by a solenoid to the vaccum diaphram which closes the throttle slightly so as to reduce power and maintain traction.

In my case one of the pipes going to the white cylinder had a leak. Just had to snip the pipe slightly and re-attach.

Well I have found I have a crack in the white cylinder...does anyone know where we can purchase another? Part Number? Cost?

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Here are a few pics, I am not sure what it is called but here is the reorder number
MD163790

Attachments

• IMG00064.jpg
    IMG00064.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG00065.jpg
    IMG00065.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 66

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Ha ha ha more like the f@*ked capacitor...for me anyway!

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
What is it? is it just a vacuum tank? can you just glue it to seal it up?

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
That was what I have done...I will find out a pricing for a new one and post it up

Top Bottom