Engine out!

G

Unregistered
i'm guessing probably nobody.. but who's ripped the engine out, Brad, Gly?

i think my torque converter seal has shit itself, so i was thinking it might be easier to rip the entire engine/gearbox out, and replace it, rather than trying to remove the box whilst its all still in the car.

also gives me a chance to check everything else out, and possibly even try tidy things up in there.. the wiring and hoses that run all over the place is unreal.. i thought my RB25 was full of useless crap.. this looks worse!

G

Unregistered
yes me and brad have both helped rip a motor out....

its easier to get the whole lot out by droping the motor out the bottom,
and lifting the car over the engine/gear box.

im going to be taking my manual gear box out at xmas to repair whats broken,
either the clutch or the bearings.

but ill be leaving the motor in.

G

Unregistered
i thought it would be easiest to drop the whole lot out the bottom... really need a hoist for that though.

guess i'll just do the gearbox out method then.

how much meat is left on the clutch? if you are going to the effort of ripping it all out, i'd probably replace the clutch and bearings, saves having to do it for a while..

G

Unregistered
well, the clutch is only 9-10months old.
it was done by the dealer before i bought the car,
but now i have weird sounds coming from the clutch/gearbox area.

ill be getting a heavy duty clutch kit to replace the stock one,
and getting the flywheel machined,

if its just the clutch thats damaged i wont bother with anything more than new fuild in the box, as its still shifting/driving prefectly,
dont fix it if it aint broken! :D

G

Unregistered
yeah true..
get the flywheel lightened while you're at it. :)

if it ain't broke, fiddle with it, end up braking it, then put a better one in! :p

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
As Carsten said, the easiest way is to just undo everything in the engine bay, put something underneath the car to rest it all on, then just hoist up the body over the top :)

Just get as much stuff out of the engine bay as possible first, ie radiator, all piping, even taking the bonnet off is something that makes it a lot easier but you mightn't think of it straight away.

G

Unregistered
oh i know the joys of removing an engine... i took the RB25 out of my skyline, and put it back in, by myself.. that was fun.

bonnet was the first thing to come off :p

i dont have access to a hoist though, so i'm going to have to just drop the box.

G

Unregistered
yeh lighten flywheel would be nice, but thats another $500 on top of the cost of the clutch,

which will be somewhere between $900-1500 depending on which i get and what sort of deal i can get.

G

Unregistered
i had an exedy 9 puck single plate in my R33, handled 300RWHP fine, and it now lives in someone elses car after being in mine for 2 years.

was a great clutch, and cost about $700

rich

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
richard
Drive
ford xe 351 legnum vr4 Ford G6ET
You can get someone to lighten and balance your standard flywheel, it won't be as light as a $500 one but you will notice the difference. The last time I got it done it was only $120 for a 1990 vr4, it made it rev smoother and faster, $120 well spent.

Top Bottom