Engine rebuild?

Shanevr4

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Shane
Drive
2001 Galant vr4
Hi all, i picked up my 2001 galant cheap from a young guy who had clearly treated her pretty badly,
I drove it for a while with no issues seemed to have plenty of power, but in my infinite wisdom put off the timing belt replacement. SNAP, i have fitted a new belt and run a compression test results 115,75,75,75,75,25. i figure a bent valve accounts for the 25 but im not sure how to go forward from here
im on a pretty tight budget so a full rebuild is probably out of the question at the moment
ive searched for a replacement engine but have had no luck
anyone have any advise for me or maybe a spare engine for sale.

drivingbear3

98GLNT
First Name
Daniel
Drive
Yamaha R3 and 1998 Galant VR-4
Look for a second hand engine. I asked about a reco and $5k isnt enough. If you cant put it in yourself i think i have receipts for about $1000 engine fitment.

Shanevr4

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Shane
Drive
2001 Galant vr4
cheers mate, i found an engine out of a leggy for $1k, doing all the research atm for the swap,

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
For me, the easiest thing to do is drop it out the bottom. Put jack under with some old carpet, once everything disconnected, lower it gently then pull it out with the carpet, pretty straight forward, just need to get the frame up high enough to remove the engine. Remove the inlet manifold, that provide heaps of clearance you then don't need to find!
Refitting it a bit of a prick but manoeuvre it into position, ( i used my tractor too push it back under with the slasher ) then i used and engine crane to lift it back up, jack underneath to assist the manoeuvring and replace corss members etc.

Remember the gearbox is a pull type so you need to get your long flat screwdriver in, then twist to release it. It'll pop when it does. Can be a prick also if its never been apart. but easy as if the clutch has been changed previously.

Shanevr4

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Shane
Drive
2001 Galant vr4
Thanks, my galant is auto and the donor is a manual so I'll have to work out what I need to swap when I get mine out. Is it easier to get out on one side rather than the other cause I have limited space to work, also I was thinking of making up some sort of trolley, maybe a couple of inches high to make things easier.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Flywheel/flex plate will be the only difference from manual to auto. Just use your auto's bits.
I took mine right out the front, so underneath the front numberplate. Up to you with a trolley, whatever makes it easier for you.

Top Bottom