engine warm up

G

Unregistered
noticed that my legnum doesnt take very long before the temp gauge goes to half and warm air is coming through vents, takes to the end of my road, 5 mins max. driving it steady too.are yours the same?never over heats on long drive?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I've taken mine on a few 5 hour drives now...never had a temp problem. And yes they do warm up quite quickly...which is handy if you're running late ;) lol

G

Unregistered
I think the sensors in newer engines must also be in a slightly different spot, like in the block instead of after the thermostat. Some of my old cars used to be "cold" right up until the thermostat opened, then within about 10 seconds it was "warm". The legnum and some newer cars steadily go from cold to warm over the first 5 minutes or so of driving which says to me it's measuring maybe the outlet temperature of the block?

Also, out of curiousity, where are the thermostats on Legnum's? Are they on the bottom hose or the top hose, cause I nearly looked like a goose once on another car when I found out the thermostat regulated cold water coming in instead of my "normal" thinking of it controlling the hot water coming out.

And you'd never complain about instant hot air when you live in Canberra :D -10*C is not the time you want to be waiting for warm air from the vents...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
yeah they warm up very quickly indeed, much quicker than a non-turbo V6.

As for the thermostat, follow the top radiator pipe back to the engine, and you'll be able to see it's housing.

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
I think the sensors in newer engines must also be in a slightly different spot, like in the block instead of after the thermostat. Some of my old cars used to be "cold" right up until the thermostat opened, then within about 10 seconds it was "warm". The legnum and some newer cars steadily go from cold to warm over the first 5 minutes or so of driving which says to me it's measuring maybe the outlet temperature of the block?

Don't know what old cars you've been driving, but everything I've been working on has had the engine temp sensor on the engine side of the thermostat, i.e. heats up with the engine before the thermostat opens. Sounds like a bit of risk to me having it on the other side.

The main reason the new motors heat up faster than the old school ones is due to having much thinner walls between the cylinders and the coolant galleries....and generally a lot less "meat" in the blocks.

Top Bottom