[EOI] NSW - Home mechanics day, hosted by US! Date TBA

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Hey All,

I know we all like to do work to our own cars, because lets face it, local Mitsi sucks ass in that department.

I was wondering who would be interested in a home mechanics day? Basically we all get together and tear apart our cars to get the things done we've been meaning to do for ages, with the help of members who may know exactly how to do it if we get stuck.

It will save posting stupid questions on the forum when we break stuff too ;)

I was thinking of doing it sometime in the next few weeks in Sydney.

Anyone interested? And would anyone like to put their hand up for a venue?

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Dawso,

Brilliant Idea

I'm in!!!!!!!

we can do steering wheel removal 101......

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Sounds like a cool idea Dawso !!

Where to do it though could be tricky ? I will try & get to this & have the Super ready by then (HA!).

Who wants to rebuild & strengthen my auto gearboxes ?

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
I'd offer our shed, but what if we don't get the cars back together?????? Its a long flattop trip back to sydney....

Or do the trackday at Wakefield on the 2nd, can line 20 - vr4's under cover and then do track testing on our mods..
DSCF4964.jpg

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
I'll be in if in sydney

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Sounds good! We'll see what else I can break in between now and then lol

Emu

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Wayne
Drive
1999 Galant VR4 1993 HJ V6
Dawso,

Briiliant idea.... I'm in for Sydney and from what I can work out, here's a short list of projects to be undertaken in addition to the theory curiculum.
1. Chris' clutch
2. Paul's Diff

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Project lists

Dawso - rotor replacement
Kitty - Silicon Induction Hose kit / Transmisson Oil Cooler Kit

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
To Do List ;

The Grandpa : Life Support Surgery

The Super : Oil flush & filter change, ATF flush & change, Change lifters, change spark plugs & leads, install trans cooler, install Cusco pipes, ..... hahaha...

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
We do something quarterly for the cbr250 forum I am on at our factory. It's a lot easier to fit in 20 bikes than 5 cars though.

I'm keen. I need to bleed my AYC. But I imagine it will be done by the time this comes around.

I could make the factory work probably so it's an option (peakhurst 2210). We could probably fit 10 cars if we are intentional enough.

Interest registered. We also have 3 forklifts which... well don't do much but replace jacks by that can be useful.

Also I guess depending on how the days go I could be convinced to modify some front engine mounts for urethane bushes. :)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Becoming bigger than Ben Hur much? Lol.....

This is great guys and gals..... Perhaps we should organise this through Meek? Use of their workshop and someone on hand who may know a thing or 2? Would be a good learning curve for them as well!

Plus they get to meet members etc..... More work for them in future?

Dunno, but keep throwing ideas up :)

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Dawso.

I'm interested, provided that I can get my car in time and pending getting it on the road in time (e.g. Registration, full service etc).

Emu

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Wayne
Drive
So we can have a few project cars... I know this won't suit you Dawso, but could we do one a quarter and have a couple of project cars each time.... (Though we'll need to do Grandpa over a week by the sounds of it!) Have a sort of roster of cars and tasks for each event.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Sounds great Wayne..... Really good idea, and it will get everyone skilled up! :)

BRUCE!!! You should do all those things on the day! I'm sure there are members here who would love to see how they can do all these at home man! :D

G

Unregistered
My two cents here - depends on which weekend it's on whether I could make it or not. Sydney would be good.

However, my idea! If this isn't at a workshop maybe tell everyone what tools you're able to bring along. You may be meaning to do something to your own car but don't have the tools, so if someone else had something you could borrow, you could get it done!

Examples - if someone had a decent stud extractor any broken screws in exhaust manifolds could be removed. If Kat and Nudge bring their hub puller someone might think that's a good time to do hubs and discs, etc. If someone has an air compressor and rattle gun... :D

Well, I thought it was a good idea :)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Thats a top idea!

Was kinda my line of thinking but it might be hard for everyone to bring everything lol

Emu

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Wayne
Drive
That was my thought too Connor. Great Idea.

Dawso, we could have Emmanuel show us how to do the swaybars, Paul to do the AYC Diff, Chris to do intercooler upgrade, Kat to do Rotors and Pads, and Dimi to just be, well Dimi.

I know, I've nominated everyone else but myself...(Anyone want to know how to replace the rear suspension, engine and gearbox on a 40 year old VW....No...Ok, I asked).

We could roster guru's on each topic for each weekend. BBQ lunch and plenty of degreaser...

Top Bottom