EOI: Pre-facelift Brembo bolt on kit

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Hey guys, I know this is a bit premature as I don't have my car yet...but I've mentioned it a few times and I've seen a bit of interest so I thought I might as well get a proper EOI going.

My bro-in-law's mate custom makes parts for pretty much any car to put anything anywhere (stop giggling you lot lol). For example he made a fantastic tray/bracket for re-mounting a battery to in front of the front wheel arch in my bro-in-law's VH commo with an RB25 in it, he made the gearbox crossmember from scratch and it absolutely smashes the ADR's it needs to pass for engineering.

Anyway, his work is awesome. When I have my car we're going to make up adaptors to get the brembos to bolt onto pre-facelift hubs in such a way that you will not have to worry about any sensors.

The current way to get brembos on a pre-facelift is to swap the sensors, hubs and whatever else is needed. This is costly as the parts are generally hard to find (that's the concensus from CVR4) and I've tried looking for facelift front cuts myself...pretty hard to find.

These adaptors will come with ready-to-go ADR COMPLIANT braided brake lines. I haven't the capital to supply them with brembos...but maybe later on I will do such a thing.

The other thing that is awesome is that ANY aftermarket brake kit for the Evo's that bolt on will bolt onto these adaptors. So you're not limited to brembos if you can't find any...or want better brakes again (After holding Evo 9 brembos in my hands for the first time the other day...I'd be very surprised if you'd want more lol)

I have no idea on pricing yet as I don't have my car and therefore the R&D hasn't started. I will do the kits as cheaply as possible but keep in mind I will have to cover the R&D costs (my bro-in-law's mate's work is fantastic...but it's not free unfortunately and neither are the braided lines). I do have mates in the industry but it's never free or as cheap as people may think, a lot of industries are in the same boat now too...but that's another topic lol

All I'm after at the moment is just to see a general interest. I'll post up more details later and I'll definitely keep you all posted. As soon as I get my car I'm heading to his workshop to get started on the work.

And for the sake of information, the reason why I'm doing this is simply because I just KNOW there has to be an easier way to put brembos on a pre-facelift. I do this kinda thing out of my own curiosity and when it works I pass the info, or product on. I did the same thing with my DOHC 24v 6G72 3.0l V6 swap into a TR Magna when I was on Aussie Magna. Noone had done it before, so I did it and I passed all the info on I could. Now there's several of them lol

Right...enough of my essay...who's interested?

Cheers
-Paul

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Paul,

Will add myself into the interested set.
Check out the post I put in the other brake thread about brake lines and alike. Will save some of the work.

Regards
Gavin

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Actually the lines won't be a problem. My mate's dad owns a brake/clutch/suspension workshop, he does ADR approved braided brake lines to any length with any fitting. The only problem is that there's no margin in it so there's practically no discount and he wont discount labour (fair enough I reckon lol).

I'll get one set made up for myself initially and tally up the costs and see if it's feasible :)

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
I'm interested :)

The fact that we would be able to use any other bolt on parts for EVO's makes it that much better.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi,

I'm interested, will depend on final costs though as from what BradC says new rotors and pads make a big difference on their own.

cheers

Lee

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
The stock fronts are exactly the same ones I had transplanted onto my TR magna, just with a differently spaced caliper bracket. I used them with RDA slotted rotors and standard Bendix 4WD compound (as the calipers were also used on the Pajero) and it was brilliant. I just want better than brilliant...I want farkin awesome lol.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
im interested as well..

but wait.. im a noob.. so i need confirmation about the kit..

the kit consists of.. 2x PFC Caliper adaptor to suit EVO Brembo's am I correct? and a set of braided S/S Brake lines?

or will it also include the Front 4-pot brake calipers?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Initially it'll be the adaptors and the s/s braided lines only. As I said in my EOI, I don't have the capital to buy sets of brembos and sell them with the kits. Plus this way it gives you the option of having any other aftermarket brake kit that bolts onto the Evo without and adaptor. Oh I'll also be doing adaptors for the rears if it's required as I have front and rear brembos coming.

G

Unregistered
rears fit on both pre and post facelifts, no difference in this part,
you have to remove the dust guard (or trim the lip away)
and you have to use the evo brake lines. (the vr4 ones are npt, and the brembos are banjo bolts)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Cool stuff :) I'll be getting the s/s braided lines done to suit so there'll be no dramas there.

Thanks for the help Gly, do you know what size rotors the evos run? Is it 330mm?

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Here are the Brembo EVO 8 / 9 Disc sizes

Front Rotors are 320mm x 32mm thick
Rear Rotors are 300mm x 22mm thick

Regards

Gavin

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Awesome, thanks mate.

I'm gunna get me some prices on DBA4000 series rotors :D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
5000! get 5000's at the front. They are cheaper by the time you get onto the 3rd set of discs because you are only buying the disc, not the hat part, and the 2 piece design obviously has quite a few advantages

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
5000! get 5000's at the front. They are cheaper by the time you get onto the 3rd set of discs because you are only buying the disc, not the hat part, and the 2 piece design obviously has quite a few advantages

I totally agree...I just can't afford to get the initial complete set at the moment. So 4000's will have to do till later on when I have more cash. I won't be tracking that often so I won't be wearing them out that quickly. I really want 5000's...just too costly.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
over here the price difference is about $200. What are the prices over there for brembo 4000 and 5000 rotors?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
$200 a rotor you mean? It's too much of a price difference for me. I'll have to dig up the quotes I had...They're in this mess of papers I call a desk lol

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Does a bear shit in the woods?? Im planning on doing the brembo conversion in the next 12 months or so, anything to make the job easier will be more than welcome!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Awesome! I didn't expect this much of an interest! I'll definitely keep everyone updated!

I was cleaning the brembos today and took a pic of the front with a ruler just so people get an idea of how big they are:

IMG_3169.jpg

That's on a bit of an angle, but it measures close to 26cm from end to end...farkin huuuge lol

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
if your brakes are bigger than your penis...you've got a serious braking system.

Unless you've got a nissan micra with 1 pot's, then you've got serious problems!

Top Bottom