Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Today United E85 costs the same as 91. E10 is actually cheaper, what is going on? I think now that they mix 98 to make it 107 octane they're charging more. I'll still use it though =)

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I accidentally bought HPR5 when it was on special the other day, never thought to check its E85 suitability... It isn't listed in Penrite's explicit list of E85 oils...

Is this going to be a problem?

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
It should be fine since it's SN rated. The Penrite site talks about this:
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products-categ.php?id_categ=1&id_fuel_type=6

"It is important to use engine oils that are compatible with E85 fuel. Oils meeting API SN/ILSAC GF-5 are best suited for everyday use. These specifications are best able to handle E85 fuel as a specific test was introduced for oils meeting this specification for corrosion protection when used with E85 as the fuel."

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Hmm, so it has the designation they say it requires, but isn't on their list on the exact same page...

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Funnily enough if you use their 'picker' tool and find an E85 BMW Z4, HPR5 appears as compatible.

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
I accidentally bought HPR5 when it was on special the other day, never thought to check its E85 suitability... It isn't listed in Penrite's explicit list of E85 oils...

Is this going to be a problem?

You should be fine, seeing as you are only running e70 anyway. :-p

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
It'll be fine

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Quick update, I have been running the flex ROM for about a week now... seems to be working well.

few things to iron out though, seems to be surging around 3k on light-mid throttle... but could be the tune. Just need to verify this.
Idle is ok, but occasionally gets bogged down and starts to idle really low.
Failsafe mode (ie no sensor input, sensor input out of spec) doesnt work as well as we hoped, rethinking that aspect. runs a bit too rich.

Other than that, should be ready to try on another car for sanity check.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Oh oh pick
Me
Pick
Me. Puts hand up
And waves around.

Oh shit. My car is fubarrrd. Puts hand down and hangs head it pity.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Bill i have an auto here to be tuned on Thursday for 98 and e85 dual map. Its been with us for ages but he did want to go flex so it may be an option. Got another sensor here so would just need the frequency to voltage converter module. Or if you want to do a manual first, there is another here that probably would. And it lives near me and is not a daily....

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Actually, I need to ensure that the tune I have is correct (ie with the axis, etc) so i can rule out tune as a potential cause of problems with idle, surging.

Will probably be able to put another circuit together.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Steve has given me a better tune to play with... seems most of the issues are resolved. I'm now on my second tank of E85, will start watering it down with 98 to test the other direction.

Just need some code changes + testing for the failsafe, then ready for some others for testing.

lateshow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lauri
Drive
TD04 Galant (Type-V)
BCX: Have you checked clubvr4. My friend made me a flexifuel rom based on kenneths mod 2.0. It is shared there (nobody took an interest). We have had several flexi vr4s in Finland for years now. Mine was first.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
yes, but we found this implementation to be lacking. It was some time ago when I saw this - it seems to only modify ~5 maps. Also, the rom integrates with some other mods of my own and KSMods 1.03.

The hardware aspect was lacking, I've used a attiny to do a lookup and control a DAC. This proved to be a more reliable solution that using the LM2917.

lateshow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lauri
Drive
TD04 Galant (Type-V)
Yes we are using an arduino based model now and not that shitty analog version. Arduino can be used for lots of other functions too.

We have interpolated high octane fuel, high octane ignition, injector slaling, boost wgdc, boost target, and one of the primers. I think that we should have interpolated also the "after start enrichment" since cold idle seems to be an issue. Not in your climate I presume? I cant think of much else to modify for ethanol use?

I think it is good to have this discussion in public since some people here in finland have tried to make money on that code and I think that the number of people that are interested is so small that that would be ridiculous. My friend made the code and released the code itself. I'm trying to learn these things at some point. The only thing we are missing in our line of development is the SD code. One thing I'd like to try is getting ecu to understand wideband signal so that it could be logged at the same time and not missing one analog input for datalogging.

edit: Ok now i got it, you have been clever enough to modify that enrichment right after startup and acceleration too. And then latency. I have thought too that those should be modified.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
From memory we're doing a few things a bit differently as well. The failsafe modes and so on i think we're different in the other rom, tbh i cant remember what the evo rom did with everything but i remember there were a few things we thought that we could do better..... that was a while ago, since then we've spent a fair bit of time talking it through so it has evolved to what i think is pretty damn good. Next week we're testing two cars on our dyno with the prototype of this rom and I'm damn excited about it! :)

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Also, Speed Density is something that will be included very soon, after flex stuff is complete.

Wideband to narrowband scaling is included with the flex stuff.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Wideband to narrowband scaling is included with the flex stuff.

Is that just a handy addition, or does the flex circuitboard actually use a wideband signal to adapt tuning?
Will a wideband sensor be required for flex?

Rowie94

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6

1998 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4

Yamaha FZ6R
On the note of a dual map, rather than the 'still being tested' flex sensor, how possible is it to make the dual map a tri-map?

Top Bottom