Evo as a daily

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
This is just a "to settle my curiousity" topic, I'm not buying anything right now, and probably won't be buying another car for a while.. Anything on this matter is open to discussion :) scenarios or details or whatever!

Hey guys, I know a number of you would have driven Evos, and maybe even have one as a normal daily car..

I'm more-so talking Evo 9 at the moment, but any evo would be good :)

What are they like as a daily type car?

I know fuel costs would suck, but just out of curiousity what are the Evos like to drive on every day roads? (Sydney inparticular)

Are they very solid or are they smooth and comfortable over the bumps?

Also in comparison to a stock and modified VR4, what are fuel costs like?

One of my mates has an Evo 6 TM with coilovers, and that felt like there was no suspension, so solid and bumpy! Quite noisey too.. And the Trueno has coilovers but is semi-comfy, on smooth roads it glides silently, although when you hit any kind of bump you feel it.. The VR4 on stock suspension felt so nice to drive most places.. And I miss that haha..

I don't do so much "speed demon" driving, or whatever anymore.. Most of my driving is to and from work, and would be to and from Campbelltown, so normal driving! Eventually, I want something either quick and comfortable, slow and comfortable, or just pretty much anything from half-comfy to fully luxury comfy (Luxury Euro carrrr!) Nothing too solid and stern, like the Trueno is and my mates Evo..

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
If you are after semi lux comfort , dont get an evo.

Buy a Chaser/celsior or something like that

Depending on your height / weight will determine if an evo is for you.

There is also the option of a E7 GTA - auto evo , with soffter seats etc.

The e6 is the ''most raw'' of all evo's

Your best bet would be to get on evolutionoz.net

plenty of rich evo boys on there.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
They need to be driven hard ALL the time. If thats how you drive everyday, and can afford the fuel then it'd be cool, otherwise do what Chris said :)

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
They are rough and noisey, Fuel economy no worse than a vr4, But handle like a dream real drivers car. Feels like your driving a limo once you step back into the vr4 heaps more comfortable but the handling feels like a big car in comparison. Takes a lil longer to boost with the evo but sits you back even harder once it comes on boost.

-T8-

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tate
Drive
WRX CSE5, 7g galant
Evo's would surely be way easier to mod as most of the mods are "off the shelf" parts..
Id say bolt on, but last time i did got hounded cause every mod you do to your car is bolted on ha ha..
Top gear hated the fuel consumption on the evo, but thats only when really giving it.. around town it couldn't be worse than the vr4??
Is your mates TM a blue one?? cause i'v seen one parked at the rsl, getting round north ryde and even cutting me off on epping road :p

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Yeah that's his haha, he used to live around the corner from me.. Pretty sure he's moved out, so he isn't around as often anymore! Actually, haven't heard from him in a while come to think of it!

Thanks for the info guys :) Just always mentally shopping in my head of possibilities for the future haha.. I like having ideas of what I could and should look for, etc :) but not buying anytime soon!

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
take a look at the "why are we selling our VR4's topic" - has alot of debate about this

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
What is a daily really?? Do you drive 10 kms to work or 100? I would happily have an Evo as a daily. The missus drove her GT-A 70kms each day for nearly two years and loved it.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
I've got my Evo 8 as a "daily" (I work from home so I'm never really driving far), it's much much firmer than a Legnum/Galant, and it seems to beg me to flog it more than Legnums ever did, so I tend to use a lot more fuel. Tiny fuel tank too, so if work is a long way away, expect to be filling up a couple of times a week.

I take the attitude that you buy the right car for the right purpose. If you've got a long boring commute, get something cheap and as fuel efficient as possible - you're gonna get there just as quick as you will in an Evo (if traffic is heavy) and use a stack less fuel. Keep the track weapons for weekend fun.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Let's just say, scenarios purpose right..

Say the budget is $35-40k for a car (car ONLY)..

I can get an Evo 8 or Evo 9, a BMW 320i or an Audi A4 1.8T/2.0T

Now, I drive 20-25km every morning/evening to and from work, and on a number of week nights drive around 60km to Campbelltown, which is mostly main road/M5 freeway..

I could go the BMW, comfortable, luxury, great on fuel.. or Evo 9 which I could have fun bursts during and inbetween.. Or how would the Audi be? Reckon it'd be quick or fun, kind of like both worlds merged?

Or could go the fat V8, smooth to drive and can pack a punch, and also chew fuel lol

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
BMW will depreciate to much to quick.

If you want good quick daily for $40k that is still comfy, Liberty GT Sedan.... you know you want too head back to your Subaru roots Tom :p

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Haha yeah Subaru GT would be so nice, could do everything I wanted to do to my last one :p

How do the Liberty GT's go compared to the VR4s?

Could probably pick up a 4gen GT STI for that price! or a Series 2 4gen GT with leather right? I haven't really looked them up properly..

But again, this is all me thinking in my head of plans and ideas hehe..

The BMWs depreciate sooo much, I think new they were $50-60 and a few years later around HALF the price!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
3.0RB is just as quick out the box in stock form, but if you do get the modifying bug, GT will shit on the 3.0RB after installation of just a dump pipe, new mufflers and opensource tune.

However, if you DON'T want to modify, the 3.0RB is everything the GT is, but cheaper on insurance and slightly better on fuel, so for a non modified daily, 100% agree ;)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
And Tom, in response to your questions:
1) VR4 is quicker 0-100kph due to GT being slightly more laggy (larger single will do that)
2) GT is much more nible feeling car - seems far easier to drive in the twisty's
3) GT is more refined, but you would expect that of a car almost 8-10 years newer
4) All MY05+GT's and all 3.0RB's have leather. It was only the early MY04) that had a non leather option

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I almost bought an 04 GT 3 years ago and the main thing i think it does better than a VR4 is road noise. The Legnum is amazingly noisy to me but the GT was great, just like my 2000 Liberty was.

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Tom I sold my Legnum and got a WK HSV Grange, yeh you guys can go on about a V8 Blah Blah but its the best car I've ever had. The fuel consumption isn't that bad 13L-14L around town 9L per 100 on the H/way. Most of you probably haven't tried a HSV/FPV and I think you will enjoy the way they go if you gave them a try, they are very different to the standrad Commordore/Falcon. You can also get mail order tunes for them with an OTR and get another 30ish KW. The Grange is the big one based on the caprice so you get every possible option and more leg room than any other car, give one a go you will love it.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
i do have to agree the grange is nice. my step dad bought the same one and its bloody huge and comfy. i didnt like the gearbox though, the auto felt identical to my old statesman (97 international series). was really jerky. it has nothing on the auto box on my mums fairlane g220. but once again, these are just big luxury cars and feel exactly like that if you take them round the bends. perfect for longer trips and even to and from work if luxury is what your after cause theyre pretty dirt cheap too. not all that fun though

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Dan totally agree on the gearbox but if you get a custom or mail order tune you can get them to adjust the way it changes gears, makes it much smoother or sharper in power mode if you want it.

Top Bottom