Evo automatic same as vr4 ?

niterida

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ken
Drive
1997 Legnum
Is the automatic from a lancer evo a straight swap with a 97 pfl legnum ??
Is there any thing i can check to confirm it is an evo box ?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
I've got the distinct feeling they're not a straight swap, otherwise the bell-housing pattern for the manuals would be the same too and we'd all be running Evo boxes.
W5A5A-2-D1Z is the Evo 7 GT-A VS W5A51-3-E6B is VR4.

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
I also would assume its not a bolt on, and even if the boxes did bolt on it would probably require the auto box ECU from the evo too...

that being said, has anyone checked if evo (manual) boxes bolt up? I just looked at the ASA and their images look eerily similar! I imagine its simply mitsubishi skimping by reusing the same image for different models.. but they do look almost identical, and all the extra bits (seals, hole plugs speed sensor etc) all match part numbers ....

left is CN9A, middle EC5W and right CT9A
evo.jpg

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I think its just mounting points are different, otherwise an evo box would fit. Evo boxes have been fitted to VR4s, just the mounts needed modding.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
There's a pic on club VR4 showing the differences between the manual box's. The 2 top mounting tabs don't match up and need moving

G

Unregistered
Don't even consider it. It's hard enough to get a VR-4 automatic transmission swap working with all the different TCU mismatches, let alone any physical differences, so expect this will end up being a costly mistake.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I think he meant manual box. No point to a 5 speed box change, essentially with some gearset changes you could have the same thing. The 6 speed would give you more ratios which could be good for various things but given they don't like big torque could be troublesome. But closer ratios could be good, and if you wanted to lengthen the final drive, the extra gear would be handy....

niterida

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ken
Drive
1997 Legnum
Thanks for the replies - decided not to go ahead as it sounds too risky that it wont 'fit'.

Top Bottom