Evo intercoolers

VR4 WRC

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum VR4
I used an VIII on mine. It fitted in there without any cutting but it look's a bit ghetto up close. Had to space out the bonnet catch with washer's.

Scott

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
Bringing this thread up again.

At this point in time i have a mate ready to do my intercooler piping, i just need a cooler. EVO6 coolers are somewhat hard to come by. what are my alternatives

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
ebay oem equivlent:

oem replacement

other wise, you could retain the oem hard lower pipes
grab a core from ivan
then you need a 90 for the cold side
and then you need a pfl hot pipe or cut your fl pipe, and then two 45's and a bit of straight pipe

ill try find some pics in a bit

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
ebay oem equivlent:

oem replacement

other wise, you could retain the oem hard lower pipes
grab a core from ivan
then you need a 90 for the cold side
and then you need a pfl hot pipe or cut your fl pipe, and then two 45's and a bit of straight pipe

ill try find some pics in a bit

Thanks Paul. Only thing is, as above the EVO 7-9 coolers dont fit.
Secondly i was under the impression that the piping associated witht eh stardard cooler is restrictive?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
ahh, are they thicker or something?

regarding piping, i compared the stock ones to my greddy pipes

stock are the same diameter and hav decent lookin mandrel bends, they're slightly heavier, but they hav 2 or 3 mounting brackets, also that way you retain the bov location

if i was to buy another intercooler kit, id keep the oem lower pipes and replace the cooler and top section.

ivan's intercooler will fit nicely with the oem lower pipes and some silionce joiners and bends (just remeber you'll hav to chop your fl hot side pipe as it kicks up at the end, the pfl one doesnt)

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
Quoting from TomTom RE: EVO Coolers
If you look at my pictures you'll see that the IC is upside down, because from Evo VIII onwards they got bigger and bigger (wider to be exact) and because the impact bar is slightly curved it didn't quite fit in between radiator & impact bar, so I put it in upside down but had to turn the intakes by 180°.

Hmm thats interesting, damn so much information and it keeps changing lol.

So ideally we would want a PFL hot side pipe, FL cold side pipe and replace all the flex piping up the top with hard pipes?

Does teh PFL hot side pipe still require to be cut?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
nope, it stops earlier. it finsihes with a 90 bend toward to the cooler, where as the fl has the 90 and then a kick up at the end

pfl pipe:
mg6447.jpg

fl pipe:
_MG_4074.jpg

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
From what I'm reading here... As a PFL driver does this mean that I can purchase a core and keep the hot side piping, and just get a workshop to make up a 90 to fit on the cold side?

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
thanks Paulie!! :)

it makes sense now. So if i get PFL hot side pipe i just need to make up two small attachments and im set! love it.

Tom, by the looks of it you need to get something made up for the hotside pipe also however you do not need to modify the hotside pipe.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Tom, by the looks of it you need to get something made up for the hotside pipe also however you do not need to modify the hotside pipe.

If I said that sentence made sense to me, I would be lying :p. do you mean that the hotside pipe still requires work?

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
haha! sorry Tom. What i meant was that you need to get something made up to join the PFL hotside to the intercooler however you do not need to modify the PFL hotside pipe itself.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Ah right! A silicone joiner would not do the job? Need an extra bit of pipe of the same diameter, or a 2.5 - 3 joiner or something?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
Fl coldside pipe = pfl cold side pipe

hot side is as pictured above

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
shit on a stick! my bad

i meant cold side :blush:

just ignore me, i corrected my blunder tristian

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Haha crap thanks for making things very confusing there Paul! I refreshed and they'd been edited, phew. So in a PFL we can just buy a core, get some joins to make it fit the OEM lower pipes and we're done? Then perhaps Ivan's hard piping kit for the top pipes would be useful?

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
Haha crap thanks for making things very confusing there Paul! I refreshed and they'd been edited, phew. So in a PFL we can just buy a core, get some joins to make it fit the OEM lower pipes and we're done? Then perhaps Ivan's hard piping kit for the top pipes would be useful?

From what i understand this is correct!

EDIT: Gave you some rep paulie :) thanks for the help

Top Bottom