Evodroid or alternate still available? - Just want stats in a GUI, NOT reflashing

phlanker

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Wes
Drive
98 Galant
Hey folks,

Chasing an Evodroid or similar, and no one from Evoscan wil get back to me, or respond to posts on forums.

Chasing something similar to the Evodroid so I dont have to run analogue guages etc - can just run a laptop or tablet to give me the info I want.

Just want standard info (dont want to be able to tune it or play with maps on the fly).

Desired info: Boost, engine temps (water, oil, intake), volts, AFR, Oil pressure, knock count, etc

Anyone have an idea on something thats available - either an app or system? I have the VAG-COM OBDII cable from ebay - just no app to plug it into ><

DONT want or need the ability to do reflashing etc. Will leave the tuning to @TME_Steve at TME. Just after readouts from the ECU with a nice GUI

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
unfortunately evodroid's the only one that works on our car..

also you'll need openport 1.3u cable if you want datalogging only

im not sure if vag-com will work.. i think someone made it work once..

phlanker

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Wes
Drive
98 Galant
I saw something about bridging pin 1 - 4 to put the car in diagnostic mode on another post with the VAG-COM cable, and that made it work, instead of having to get the 1.3u cable for $150 ($10 on fleabay).
I might give it a run, and see what happens. Now I'm just trying to see if I can get the Evoscan for android, or if i need to run it through a windows based laptop. Android would obviously be better so I can put a 7" tablet in the car on a window suction mount and not have to worry about finding a spot for the laptop / having to look down for info on the car.

Ozyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
2000 Legnum
I've been thinking about getting a HP stream 7 tablet. It's runs windows 8.1 software. In the states they are using it for ecmlink for 6th gen vr4's. I'm hoping it will work with evoscan also.

They are quite cheap on eBay.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
is it windows 8.1 rt or windows 8.1 pro?

from my understanding you cant install softwares on rt unless its from microsoft app

but 8.1 pro will provide you access just like your normal pc does..

how big is the tablet, screen wise?

Ozyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
2000 Legnum
From what I have read, it's 8.1 Pro. The Americans use it on ECMLink. It's a live logging and tunning program for 6th gen galant vr4's. The program's only setup for full wimdows, but I'll check with the guys using it. It's a 7" screen. I want to mount in my dash.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
It's actually quite handy for things like setting TPS. With a USB extension cable you can sit the tablet in the engine bay :)

phlanker

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Wes
Drive
98 Galant
Hey @Dice - Got the tablet on order to be here tomorrow or Friday.
With the vagcom cable, you just had to bridge pine 1-4 right?
When I get it all together, I'll do a full write up for anyone interested in getting the information onto a tablet etc instead of running a bunch of guages, and then finding where to put them. Plus you'll have the tablet in the car for music, GPS, etc.etc.

phlanker

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Wes
Drive
98 Galant
I'm more after the gauges etc - Mitsulogger is purely datalogging isnt it? no interface with guages showing info or am i wrong with that?

phlanker

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Wes
Drive
98 Galant
Also - Quick question - does the OBDII port have power? IE - does it charge the tablet when it's plugged in??

brichman

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 PFL Galant VR-4 (Roanne Red)
Hey @Dice - Got the tablet on order to be here tomorrow or Friday.
With the vagcom cable, you just had to bridge pine 1-4 right?
When I get it all together, I'll do a full write up for anyone interested in getting the information onto a tablet etc instead of running a bunch of guages, and then finding where to put them. Plus you'll have the tablet in the car for music, GPS, etc.etc.

Now this sounds promising :D

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Also - Quick question - does the OBDII port have power? IE - does it charge the tablet when it's plugged in??

Correct about mitsulogger, data logging only. I forgot this thread was about GUI implementations. The OBDII port may supply minimal power to the cable, it cannot charge the tablet. If you're installing the tablet permanently just get a 2A USB charger and make sure your tablet charges by USB (some e.g. Acer use a different charge socket).

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Evosvan does

phlanker

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Wes
Drive
98 Galant
Ok - have everything, but have hit a snag

I have this cable:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281449823190

Have soldered the pins - and the engine light is flashing as it should.

plugged it all in, and Evoscan is not finding the cable (have selected 1.3u from the list etc.) - get the "cannot find cable, select 2.0 if you have that one" error

The drivers that came with Evoscan refuse to install from the installer, so i copied all the files (.dll etc) over to system32 folder, and still no joy.

Any ideas?

Wrong cable? or bad drivers? or something simple?

Cheers guys,

Wes.

(PS - so far its cost me just shy of $200 including cable and tablet - so not too shabby if i can make it work... )

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
You'll need to check the chipset of the cable. Needs to be a ftdi.

Top Bottom