Exedy HDCB clutch not disengaging??

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Hey guys, I took my car to Meek today and I was warned by Chris that he's had numerous problems with the HDCB clutches not releasing due to the springs heating up and expanding (my memory is a little hazy on the reason why so forgive me there).

He recommended the Japanese Exedy sports organic with the heavy duty plate which is about $900 and has to be ordered in.

I do trust the guys at Meek as they do know their stuff, I'm just curious to see if anyone has heard of/knows of/has experienced this problem before? There are a few of us on here with HDCB's installed and noone's mentioned this yet. I had an HDCB in my previous car and treated it like shit and never had a problem.

Just curious to see what the experiences are on here. For the record I'm still getting mine installed as I have no choice now :ROFLMAO:. I'm sure I'll be fine as I don't really give the car that much stick that often anyway.

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
I've had no such problem with mine either....though i've only been running it for about 2 months.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
whats causing the shuddering at high rpm?

Don't know - the transmission shop that did it said the flywheel machining job was good and put it down to the style of clutch (as you'd expect as they didn't want to spend another 10 hours re-doing it after they already had it back once for a torn CV boot and a leaking gearbox seal which was their fault).

It does it if you let it out really quickly at high rpms - like when you're trying shift as quick as possible at the drags. Really annoying but I've kinda got used to it and know how to let it out.

The Exedy fitting instructions/warranty that came with it did state that some shuddering is expected. But it also states that if the flywheel is machined too smooth it can make it worse which I think it what's causing mine.

G

Unregistered
ahh oh, that would be anoying, i shift fairly quick on the track but i dont even mean to.. oh well as long as your clutch is not slipping then its all good

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
ahh oh, that would be anoying, i shift fairly quick on the track but i dont even mean to.. oh well as long as your clutch is not slipping then its all good

No, it definitely doesn't slip, it'll spin the wheels from a launch greater than about 3k (especially with stock 6.5" rims and crappy tyres) :D

G

Unregistered
bit off topic but feel i should mention it. exedy wont follow up on the warranty for these clutches because they are not going into the cars the clutch was designed for

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Yeah I realised they'd worm their way out of it via that loop-hole lol

Mine is fitted, it releases no problem. But it is engaging quite close to the floor and the pedal feel is real soft

They told me they had a hard time bleeding the line as it took AGES to get the air out and they feel there may be still a bit in there (I believe them as it feels just *too* soft).

I guess I should check for leaks around connections and pinched hard lines?

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
When I had my clutch replaced (Exedy HD) the pedal was weird, it engaged close to the floor for a while, then it moved a bit...

... and a week later, the master and slave cylinders went kaput.

Since replacing those a couple of months ago, the pedal has been "normal" and consistent.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Where'd you get the cylinders from? I better get some!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Cheers, I've emailed him :)

Just out of curiosity, how much were the parts?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've driven mine hard for up to 30 minutes at a time with no problems, lots of 6-7k shifts and ripping the gear lever through as quickly as I could, no problems. I've only had it shudder once and that was when I accidently selected 3rd rather than 1st

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
give the pedal time. mine was as you say when i did the clutch but came right.

then when i had the box out again to do the input bearing the clutch just didnt want to know, no matter how much we bled it it wouldnt come off the floor. i drove it up the road anyway and it eventually came right

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Cool, that's what I'm doing as something's come up and I can't get the parts anyway now. It seems to be ok, so I know the price of the parts just in case now :D

Top Bottom